Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Water Bowls/Dishes

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Prin's water thread/poll made me wonder what does everyone use to put their pet's water in?

I know lots of people that use empty ice cream buckets but I read somewhere that the plastic can eventually leach into the water.

I use stainless steel.

Prin
September 8th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I have a big stainless steel bowl. Not because it's better but because my picky spoileds won't drink out of plastic.:frustrated:

chico2
September 8th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I too use stainless,for all the cat-dishes including water.
Often cats have a reaction to plastic.

SnowDancer
September 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Elmo has a selection of stainless steel and bone china bowls and plates (someone has to use the 30 year old bone china). No plastic for him - although as an Eskimo he would love to get his paws and teeth on a nice paper plate.

normag
September 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I have ceramic at home and stainless steel at the cabin, they dont mind either

LibbyP
September 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I use very BIG rubber bowls for large animals from TSC for water, and stainless steel for their food

Puppyluv
September 8th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Lay has ceramic bowls here, ceramic at the cabin, and metal to travel. She's not too picky, oh she also drinks from a metal bowl on our runs (some sweetheart, well actually an employee of montreal keeps a water bowl full at an info centre near the old port)

Smiley14
September 8th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Petey and Billy both have the stainless steel food/water bowel sets that are raised up on legs. Billy's is a few inches off the ground and Petey's is about a foot off the ground. :)

Petey inhales his food, and I was told it was dangerous to have him eating with his head down to the ground since he could possibly take in more air that way?? Not sure if that is true or not, but I don't want to take any chances as GSP's are suseptible to bloat.

I refill them twice a day and wash the bowls once a week. :)

Here's a question! Does anyone else have picky dogs that refuse to drink from any bowl but their own? :) Petey refuses to drink water from the bowls at the dog park or in his training classes, so I have to bring his collapsible travel bowl and a bottle of water wherever we go. Most people give me strange looks when they see me giving him bottled water, LOL, like they think he's spoiled. But it's the only way he'll drink water when we're not in the house. Probably cleaner that way I suppose. :) But at home, he'll drink plain old tap water in his bowl no problem. :)

Puppyluv
September 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Petey inhales his food, and I was told it was dangerous to have him eating with his head down to the ground since he could possibly take in more air that way?? Not sure if that is true or not, but I don't want to take any chances are GSP's are suseptible to bloat.

I refill them twice a day and wash the bowls once a week. :)
It's the opposite acutally, dogs fed from an elevated bowl are more likely to suffer from bloat than a dog of the same breed (etc.) fed from the floor.

Smiley14
September 8th, 2006, 05:01 PM
It's the opposite acutally, dogs fed from an elevated bowl are more likely to suffer from bloat than a dog of the same breed (etc.) fed from the floor.

Oh, you're kidding?! Wow, that's good to know! I better put those bowls back on the ground then! I can't remember who told me that or if I read it somewhere, yikes, scary! Thanks for the info!!!!

Puppyluv
September 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Here's a pretty good list for bloat Prevention (http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#Prevention)

Smiley14
September 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Here's a pretty good list for bloat Prevention (http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#Prevention)

Thank you!! I was just googling as well and sure enough, elevated bowls were listed as possible causes. Scary! THANK YOU so much for letting me know!
I need to go out and buy new bowls now because the stainless steel ones in the stand don't have any kind of rubber or weight to them to hold them in place. They'd just slide around all over the place! Guess a trip to Petsmart is in order for tomorrow! :) I had the heavy weight stainless steels bowls with the rubber circle around the bottom to hold in place, but I threw them away when I got the elevated bowls. :frustrated: Wish I remember who told me that!

Edited to add: I just noticed now the new thread of "top 15 questions" and bloat is one of them and it even talks about elevated bowls in it! Can't believe I missed that! Luckily, Petey has never shown any indication of bloat, I am just trying to take all the preventive measures. He gets fed three small meals a day, and I don't let him run around before or after for at least an hour. And here I thought I was being a good mom by buying the expensive elevated bowls. :( Thank you again for letting me know!

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I have a big stainless steel bowl. Not because it's better but because my picky spoileds won't drink out of plastic.:frustrated:

Smart spoiled pickies. :D

Maya
September 8th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I always used thick glass bowls because plastic didn't seem as easy to keep clean, and I was worried it might leave a residue in the water. Petey inhales his food Sorry a bit :offtopic: I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I've heard this suggested for cat's that inhale their food, that putting a golf ball in the centre will slow them down. I'm not sure what the equivalent might be for a dog, I guess it depends on the size of the dog. It would probably have to be a pretty heavy ball or object to work though.

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Still :offtopic:

I have a 82 lb. lab and I only have to use a small kong about 6" to slow him down. :D

Smiley14
September 8th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Still :offtopic:

I have a 82 lb. lab and I only have to use a small kong about 6" to slow him down. :D

(Rainbow, forgive me for taking your thread off topic!) I'm assuming you mean you put his regular dog food into the kong? I've tried this, but Petey is on W/D from the vet and it's little pellets of dry food. It falls right out after a few good shakes and he still gobbles it down within a few minutes. Maybe a smaller kong would be better, lol. So anyway, I was just curious if you use soft food or if you have a trick for keeping dry food in the kong! :)
The good thing is that he shouldn't have to be on the W/D for much longer. I still have to take him in for his official weigh-in in two weeks, but he looks nice and slim to me. :) He started getting a little chubby there, even on the vet's maintenance food, so they put him on the W/D temporarily. So I'll be shopping around for a good maintenance food hopefully soon! At least Petey doesn't seem to care that his current food is about as bland as paper. :)
And now I've really gone off topic! So sorry about that!

And for a sort of back on topic question, LOL!, can someone tell me the best kind of bowls I should get for Petey since I need to replace the elevated ones? I've heard stainless steel is the best, is that correct? Thanks!

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Steph, no need for apologies. :p

I don't fill the kong with his dry food. I put his food in his dish with the kong. My hubby laughed at me when I first did it and said "he's just going to take the kong out first and the wolf down his food". But, lo and behold, he's never done that. I don't know :shrug: but it works for me. :D

Regarding Petey's bowls, can't you just use the stainless steel ones but "un-elevate" them?

Smiley14
September 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Steph, no need for apologies. :p

I don't fill the kong with his dry food. I put his food in his dish with the kong. My hubby laughed at me when I first did it and said "he's just going to take the kong out first and the wolf down his food". But, lo and behold, he's never done that. I don't know :shrug: but it works for me. :D

Regarding Petey's bowls, can't you just use the stainless steel ones but "un-elevate" them?

Oh, LOL, I totally misunderstood that one! Oops! :o That's a great suggestion! No idea what he'll do, but I'll give it a try! It's like Maya's golf ball suggestion, only bigger. :)

For the bowls, oh yes, they can be removed from the stand and just placed on the ground. The "problem" if you will is that they are very light weight and Petey will turn his bowls all around and make a big mess...especially with his water bowl. In the past, I had to use the heavy weighted bowls before I got the elevated ones. Unfortunately, I threw them away. :frustrated: So I wanted to buy new ones that are heavy again, but just wondering if one type is supposed to be better than another? I've always used stainless steel, so I'll probably just go with that again, unless something else is suppose to better or if it doesn't really matter.

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Steph, try putting some duct tape or masking tape on the bottom of the bowls. Or else, a piece of carpet or something underneath them. :fingerscr

Dogs that I had before used to have continually knock over their water bowls so my hubby made an enclosure for them. Just get four pieces of lumber and make a frame for the bowl to sit in. Good luck. :fingerscr

Byrd
September 8th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I use stainless too, I got one of those sets when she was a puppy.

I heard that plastic can harbour a lot of bacteria.

Smiley14
September 8th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Steph, try putting some duct tape or masking tape on the bottom of the bowls. Or else, a piece of carpet or something underneath them. :fingerscr

Dogs that I had before used to have continually knock over their water bowls so my hubby made an enclosure for them. Just get four pieces of lumber and make a frame for the bowl to sit in. Good luck. :fingerscr

Oh, great idea! My parents are even visiting this weekend, so I can put Dad to work building a little frame for me, hehe. :) Thanks Rainbow!

Sorry again for going :offtopic: :)

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 09:52 PM
It's really not too far "off topic". :D

Glad Dad is coming to help. I hope it solves the water dish problem. ;)

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Oh, and I hope the duct tape, etc. helps with the food dish problem. :fingerscr

mummummum
September 8th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Stainless steel for us. I have a glass bowl that I use on occasion but, I have found it's become discoloured over the years ~ spit, I guess. I also have portable water bowls, one of which is carabinered (word ?~ not likely!) to one of their leashes so if we're out and about I can just grab a bottle or fill 'er up at a water fountain. When they were puppies I used ceramic but I started to worry about lead content and leeching. Once, I had to resort to using a cut crystal bowl. When I put the bowl down, it was in a shaft of sunlight and the crystal acted like a prism shooting sparkles all over the place. The dogs started growling and barking at it while backing out of the room! There was nooooo way they were going to drink out of that ALIEN!

Smiley14: I saw a food dish at Slobberfest (sorry I can't remember the manufacturer but maybe someone else will) specially designed for "hoovers" like your Petey. It's plastic and has four posts in the bowl. I guess it forces the dog to take only a bit at a time because s/he can't get at all of the food at once and can't get her/his entire face in the bowl.

meb999
September 8th, 2006, 10:29 PM
stainless here too, but I'm thinking about buying some nice ceramic bowls (just 'cause they're prettier :o )

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I saw a food dish at Slobberfest (sorry I can't remember the manufacturer but maybe someone else will) specially designed for "hoovers" like your Petey. It's plastic and has four posts in the bowl. I guess it forces the dog to take only a bit at a time because s/he can't get at all of the food at once and can't get her/his entire face in the bowl.

Too bad it's plastic. :(

dtbmnec
September 9th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I use my own dishes lol

If the Corel stuff is good enough for people then it should be good for animinimals....:)

Dad bought the boys a water dish....'cept it was dog water dish....suppose its plastic but I only use it for water....should be ok right?

Megan

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Dad bought the boys a water dish....'cept it was dog water dish....suppose its plastic but I only use it for water....should be ok right?

IMO, no. I've heard that plastic (which is toxic) can eventually leach into the water.

mummummum
September 9th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Too bad it's plastic. :(

I wonder if one could gerry-rig a metal bundt pan or a high-definition jelly-mold to keep it stationary. It would serve the same purpose. Ooops ...:offtopic: :sorry:

Skryker
September 9th, 2006, 07:14 AM
To add to the plastic bowls debate-when my pups were sputered, they also had chin acne. I was using plastic bowls then; the vet told me to switch to ceramic or stainless steel because the plastic harbours bacteria, even with regular washing, and that contributes to the acne.

I switched to stainless food bowls and a glass water dish-the acne cleared up.

The cat has a ceramic food bowl and a plastic autowatering dish. She used to have china bowls, but my husband dropped a pot on them while doing dishes. :frustrated: Dancer was not happy, as we all know how much cats love change.:rolleyes:

chico2
September 9th, 2006, 07:40 AM
All 3 of my cats had Feline Acne supposedly from plastic dishes,since I switched to stainless,no more problems.
I also use a couple of china ones for dry food,no more plastic!

Lissa
September 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I only use stainless steel too!

I was told that plastic is bad and so is ceramic unless its made in the America's???

It seems like there is lots of possible negatives with plastic and ceramic so I will only use stainless steel or glass!:)

Golden Girls
September 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I was hoping someone was going to say their dogs eat sitting down like mine do. They snuckle until the bowl is in between their two front paws. Misti takes forever and chews so slowly her kibble one by one so for her I guess it's much more comfortable. For Brandi I put a little chain inside her bowl as she too inhales her food. I feel so mean watching her fight for it though :shrug: but it works.

I use stainless steel bowls as well.

OntarioGreys
September 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I use stainless steel bowls only,

Depends on which study you read and the studies simply are commonalities of what was happening prior to the bloat case it does not mean that the raised or lower bowl was the cause, it could have been caused by something totally unrelated, In a recent poll on a greyhound forum 84% used raised feeder, probably the same percentage adds water to the kibble, at the tracks shortly after a race the greyhounds are fed, they don't wait 3 hours to feed, a couple of the larger forums represent some 15,000 retired racing greyhounds yet only 2 or 3 incidences of bloat occur a year, if these things were causes of bloat then the number of bloat cases should much higher like nearer to a thousand incidences In the case of bloat research the research survies will note that these 2 or 3 ran shortly after eating, they all had access to water , they had water added to their kibble and ate out of elevated bowls, so those things become commonalities in the bloat research so to "possibly" prevent avoid they will tell you to avoid doing these things that were common in the dog that bloated but the studies do not prove these were actual causes, the problem with the research is they are only looking at the dogs that bloated not the other 14,997 greyhounds who also run before eating, drink water at meal times, have water added to their kibble and eat out of a raised feeder but will never in their lifetime bloat. If these were actual causes the bloat numbers for the greyhounds should be more like 2000 to 3000 not just 2 or 3 a year.

PetFriendly
September 9th, 2006, 01:07 PM
We use ceramic dishes all around. One of the cats get acne from plastic bowls, and the dog won't drink from a metal bowl, dog and cats share wather dishes and the cats have been known to steel from the dogs food dish, so ceramic for everyone is easiest.

dtbmnec
September 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
IMO, no. I've heard that plastic (which is toxic) can eventually leach into the water.

hmmm not cool...

I think I'll switch it out later when I get my OSAP money (lol using my school money for the cats...go figure!). I'm sure they'll be fine for another two or three weeks. (If not you guys can tell me "I told you so").

I wonder if I should even bother changing out the food dishes....hmmmm....

Megan

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't use plastic dishes for water or food. Do you have some small dessert bowls you can use for now? Or go to a salvation army or other thrift shop where there's always lots of dishes dirt cheap. ;)

dtbmnec
September 9th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't use plastic dishes for water or food. Do you have some small dessert bowls you can use for now? Or go to a salvation army or other thrift shop where there's always lots of dishes dirt cheap. ;)

Hehe yeah we've got one down the street I'm just not sure if it's open today/tomorrow. I'll check it out on Monday. If not I'll head to one of the petstores and get some there. :)

My kitties are using the plates/bowls for food (the corel stuff) since if we can eat off them and still live, then they sure as heck should be able to! :)

Megan

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I think the corel stuff is fine. The plastic that is bad is the porous kind like tupperware and the cheap knock-offs. ;)

If you want new dishes instead of thrift shop ones, I'd check out one of the dollar stores before paying $$$ at a pet store. I've seen cute ceramic pet dishes in the dollar store we have here. :D