Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

husky and torn acl

bnjovi
September 8th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Hi
I am new here and I have a question I need answered quick.There is a 3 yr old female siberian husky that needs a home and I am thinking about taking her.
The owner has told me that the dog has had surgery for a torn acl on the knee of one back leg and just had surgery in march for the other knee same problem.
I have people telling me that once there is a problem with the knees there will be problems all the time.The owner assured me that the vet had stated that the dog should have no further problems.I have never had a dog and I am just wondering if this could be an ongoing problem with the dog?
Thank you

Prin
September 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I've never had a dog with an acl problem, but if you're really curious, you can always talk to a vet directly and ask tons of questions.:shrug:

I tried to find it on a really good site that I like, but it wasn't there.. They had a different cruciate surgery though, and if it's a reflection on all knee surgeries (not sure about that though), the recovery is pretty good: http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/cruciatelrt.htm
:o

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the board, bnjovi. I've never had a dog with knee injuries so can't help out with that.

I just wanted to say that I have a siberian husky now, and had two previously, and they are not a breed for everyone. The can be very stubborn and most of them cannot be allowed to run off leash.

You mentioned that this would be your first dog so I hope you have researched the breed before you decide to take her. I would also suggest, if you do take her, that you should take her to obedience classes right away which would be of benefit to both of you.

OntarioGreys
September 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Hi bnjovi, With knee ligament surgeries one of the big problems will be arthritis setting in, which could be quite debilitating in 3 or 4 years, being so young and having both knees done is quite sad, the owner obviously does care about her, the ortho surgeries are quite expensive.

So some things to consider is that around age 6 or 7 she may have problems with stairs, she will likely need to be on pain meds most can be hard on the liver so bloods tests will need to be done checking for liver damage others are hard on the stomach and can cause ulcers, so this will be extra costs that you will have to consider over maybe 5 to 7 years, you may need a sling to help her walk around depending on how severe the arthritis gets.

There is no guarantees with any pet that there will not be health problems and additional costs but if you choose to get her, you are pretty much guaranteed to be spending more than normal for vet care, vet care insurance won't be of any help because this is a pre-existing condition, so anything that occurs related to the knees or side effect caused meds used to treat arthritis will not be covered.

bnjovi
September 8th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I want to thank all of you for responding.I know my husband really wants the dog,he had a husky growing up and this dog is so beautiful.I really have to talk to a vet and find out if there could be future problems.I dont want this to be a financial burden if she needs alot of vet visits and meds etc.UGH!!!
Thank you all again.

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I know my husband really wants the dog,he had a husky growing up and this dog is so beautiful.

If your hubby had a husky then he knows what they're like. Personally, they are my favourite breed. :love: