Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray Cat

les
September 8th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Okay, so I have a stray cat .. I think.

2 nights ago (Wednesday) I heard some people in the field behind my house talking about a kitten they could see and they said "oh it's in the tree" I didn't think much of it, just made sure it wasn't my cat! I didn't think of it again on Wednesday.

Yesterday every time I was in the backyard with the dogs I could hear a cat meowing. Around 7pm I actually saw it - it had come right up to the other side of the fence. The dogs, of course, went crazy and ran at it and the kitty went into the neighbours backyard but stayed right beside the fence looking at all of us and meowing. The cat and dogs just had a sniff through the fence but were okay together.

We went to go inside finally and the poor thing cried at the door. I thought maybe she was hungry and gave her a can of food - which she ate in like 5 minutes!

Anyways, she was still outside last night and is still there this morning - hanging around.

What do I do? She doesn't look mangy or dirty or anything but she looks really young - I'd say only a couple of months or so, and she's really friendly to people which makes me think she must have had or has a home.

How long do I leave her out there? Do I take her to the vets? I'm afraid to call the humane society because she's just another cat that needs a home. I don't especially want another cat - I was just saying that oddly enough yesterday and then she showed up :rolleyes: - but I would rather keep her then risk something happen to her.

What do I do??

Leslie

cpietra16
September 8th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Maybe it's a sign:cat: ...the cats usually pick the people and not the other way around, :D . He probably feels comfortable and secure with you. If you can't keep him, I would call the shelters and ask if anyone has reported in a missing cat, if not I would maybe call a rescue and see if they can help you. Put posters around your area claiming to have found a lost kitty. Don't give too much description, you'll have strange peope calling claiming its their cat.

les
September 8th, 2006, 09:31 AM
So I should take her to the vet?

I'm afraid to let her inside since I have a cat and 2 dogs before making sure she's healthy. And I hate to "steal" someones cat .. but I can't understand why she would be hanging around so long if she actually had a home? I mean, wouldn't she probably try to find her way when it got dark and quiet outside?

Maybe I'll call the shelter close by and see if someone reported a missing cat.

Thanks cpietra16 =)

cpietra16
September 8th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I would take her to the vet, especially if you will have her some in contact with your cats....definately. Good luck. We want to see pictures. please

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 11:21 AM
If you don't want to bring her inside can you keep her in a garage or shed until you find her owners or a new home? I think you should also her to the vet though.

les
September 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Well I thought she was gone because she wasn't around all day but sure enough about 5pm tonight she came back. Maybe she knew a vet visit was coming :evil:

So she's currently lounging on top of the shed under some tree branches just watching. But once we're gone inside she gets down and either comes right to the door and meows or jumps onto the window sill and looks inside. Poor little thing.

As soon as I get the pics online I'll post em here =)

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 07:33 PM
So, if you put some food inside the shed, wouldn't you be able to trap her? :confused:

les
September 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Trapping her isn't an issue at all. She'll climb right up on your lap and lay down. It's just that she wasn't around from about 9am this morning until this evening so my regular vet is closed until tomorrow morning. So I'll just get her early tomorrow - I didn't want to trap her in the shed / garage incase she does infact have a home to go to.

But after this long can I assume she doesn't have one?

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 09:27 PM
But once we're gone inside she gets down and either comes right to the door and meows or jumps onto the window sill and looks inside. Poor little thing.

Sorry, I misunderstood your statement. I thought she wouldn't come to you.
God luck at the vet and please post with an update. :cat:

badger
September 8th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Don't worry about ownership issues at this point. Someone has let her wander and she's lost. Or they've dumped her deliberately. I'm ashamed to say that I don't know how early cats go into heat, but if she's 2-3 months, is that too early? Guys?
You could put up some posters, just saying Found Cat and your number, without giving too many details (as pointed out above), to protect her from crazies. You should post them over a fairly wide area (say 5 blocks in all directions), some cats can really travel if they're frightened or hungry or in heat.
In the meantime, it would be better to confine her somewhere, a spare room or even a shed; it doesn't sound as if she would object!
Thanks for caring.

les
September 9th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Well she had another night outside - she does have access to the shed. My cat refused to come inside last night and wanted to stay near the little one. (It's really strange that my Smokey has no interest in fighting with the little one - she just wants to be near her) And the little just follows mine around - which is good because my cat just hangs out in the backyard and on the porch.

Today I called the vet - she has an appointment on Monday morning. I also opened the garage door (from the backyard) so she can stay in there. I put a box on its side and some towels/blankets for her. We're supposed to get some big rain today so I don't want her to be stuck outside. And, of course, she had some Katz'n'Flocken ... maybe that's why she doesn't want to leave!

I also called every animal hospital near me and the humane society to check the lost cat reports. None match her. The humane society also told me it's sometimes hard to tell the sex of a cat? LOL I thought she was a female but I suppose I could be wrong!

I would love to let her inside and put her in her own room but I'm worried about her being sick. She doesn't seem sick but maybe I just can't see it. I don't want to put my cat & dogs at risk until I'm sure. The vet said if I had a room with hardwood or tile it would be best but I don't have a room like that in an area I can block from the rest of the house - she would have to be in a carpeted room - the vet said that would be harder to sterilize if she was sick.
Is that a real concern?

So that's the update of the morning. Pics of her are uploading now and I'll be able to post some in a minute.

I've also thought about her getting pregnant and mentioned it my vet receptionist - who sounded as if she thought I was a little crazy talking about spaying a stray cat.

Here's some pics of her. I love the tail!

http://www.newwebpics.com/pictures/straycat15.jpg

http://www.newwebpics.com/pictures/straycat16.jpg

http://www.newwebpics.com/pictures/straycat17.jpg

http://www.newwebpics.com/pictures/straycat18.jpg

les
September 9th, 2006, 10:09 AM
A few more ....

http://www.newwebpics.com/pictures/straycat38.jpg

http://www.newwebpics.com/pictures/straycat40.jpg

http://www.newwebpics.com/pictures/straycat41.jpg

http://www.newwebpics.com/pictures/straycat44.jpg

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 03:01 PM
She's very pretty and has such a sweet face. :angel: . You would think someone would have reported her missing. :sad:

I would love to let her inside and put her in her own room but I'm worried about her being sick. She doesn't seem sick but maybe I just can't see it. I don't want to put my cat & dogs at risk until I'm sure.

If your Smokey is hanging around with her outside, what's the diff? :confused:

erykah1310
September 9th, 2006, 03:08 PM
If your cat and dogs are vaccinated bring her in. I do it regularly, just check for fleas or something like that, but definately put her in her own room.
Moxy was my latest "stray" and he stayed in his own room for a few weeks ( Lots of fun toys and comfy things to lay on) He has since found a home BTW (whoo hooo)

However, if you think that she may still be someones cat, its better to have her inside so if someone is looking for her you will know where she is. and she will stay safe.

Good luck and thanks SOOO much for caring !!!!!:angel:

meb999
September 9th, 2006, 04:55 PM
oh, she's just too cute :love:

chico2
September 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM
What a little sweety,it's easy to tell at that age what sex he
/she is,especially an unneuterd male,with those"thingys"hanging down:D
Thank's for caring about him/her:love:
He/She looks a little scrawny,compared to mine anyway..
From one pic,it looks like she could be declawed.

les
September 9th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Nope, she's not declawed. Has some really long ones. And I don't see anything hanging down there, that's why I thought female ;)

Yeah, there's really no diff since all my animals have been in close contact with her anyways.

Again she was gone today all day I thought and then I peeked into the garage and she was fast asleep on the blanket in her box. :cat:

I also checked the pet stores to see if anyone posted a lost cat note but there were none that match her. :( Maybe someone dumped her in the field behind my house :confused:

At least she picked a good house to stop at. :)

erykah1310
September 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
They seem to know where to stop!;)

jesse's mommy
September 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I think you should just keep her. :love:

cpietra16
September 9th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I know you can't tell, but she looks like a he:rolleyes: If you can't see anything down there it might be because he's been neutured already by his previous family...or then again she may be a she afterall....either way, I think she picked you so you have to keep her:D ...it's only polite:D ;)

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 08:21 PM
At least she picked a good house to stop at.

It has to be her forever house now. :D

Maya
September 10th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the pictures. She's a really sweet looking girl, I think. For a second there, I found myself saying I wish I could take her in.:o:love:

les
September 10th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks =) She's still around - staying in the garage with her bed and her toys .. yes, I already bought her some toys ;)

Her vet appointment is tomorrow morning so I'll update after that. Then I suppose she needs a name! LOL Can't get too set on one incase she's a boy!!

Skryker
September 10th, 2006, 06:53 PM
She's a real cutie. I'm trying to think of some unisex names for you, but she reminds of my brother's old cat Toby, and so I'm stuck on it. Maybe Patches? Not very original, but it could be for a male or a female. Maybe Ash, 'cause of the grey?

les
September 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I like Patches too .. unfortunately my cousin had a cat named Patches that passed away in January at about 16 years old - so I think I better stay away from that name.

Toby is cute too =) I also like ... Mia, Roxy, Zoey - all girl names! Originally I was calling her Miss Kitty lol but it seems kind of strange ;)

jesse's mommy
September 10th, 2006, 07:02 PM
How about a unisex name like fuzzbutt or something like that?

Prin
September 10th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Uhh.. She kinda looks like a reverse skunk from one side...:D How 'bout Spunky?:D

les
September 10th, 2006, 07:07 PM
She does look like a reverse skunk .. LOL ... From the top looking down at her, she looks like she has a hat on!! ;)

Prin
September 10th, 2006, 07:11 PM
She does look like a reverse skunk .. LOL ... From the top looking down at her, she looks like she has a hat on!! ;)
or maybe a tiny grey mullet.:D

les
September 10th, 2006, 07:14 PM
LOL Could be ;)

erykah1310
September 10th, 2006, 10:30 PM
My Mia got her name because she was always Missing in action. Just kinda worked perfect for her!

a mullet.... theres a concept I hadnt thought about for a long time!!!! What were people thinking????

les
September 11th, 2006, 09:25 AM
So here's the latest update: she's a girl, around 6-8 months judging by her weight of 5.3lbs. She's not pregnant and she's not spayed.

So she had some blood taken and they're testing it for feline aids and feline leukemia - I should have the results later today. Provided they are negative, I'll have her vaccinated and spayed. =)

rainbow
September 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM
That's super news that she's not pregnant. :highfive: So, is it going to be Mia, Zoey or Roxy?

Fingers crossed for negative test results. :fingerscr

les
September 11th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Test results are negative! WooHoo!

So she gets some vaccines on Wednesday and we'll book the spay appointment then. Now I have to really decide on a name!! lol

chico2
September 11th, 2006, 02:33 PM
That's great news,she is one lucky kitty:cat:
I have no imagination at all when it comes to names,the only female cat I ever had was named Cookie,not very imaginative:D

Skryker
September 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM
http://cybergifs.com/fireworks/Ifireworks3.gif Woo hoo! That's great news. Congrats!

Kristin7
September 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Sounds like you have a new cat, congrats! This is a bit off-topic, but was wondering why i can't see the pics that were posted? I can see them in other threads, but not this one.

Prin
September 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Wooo! Good news! :highfive:

cpietra16
September 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Congrats on your new addition...you can always call her Suri...she has a asian look about her:D How about Geisha Girl (GG for short)

rainbow
September 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Woo Hoo...more great news. :highfive:

Suri...cpietra, you're too funny. :D