Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poll of the Weekend! How often do you fill/change the water in the water bowl?

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I was wondering how often other people do it... My doggies used to drink a whole huge bowl twice a day, but now they drink a bit less and the water isn't as fresh, so Boo goes for the toilet instead. :sick: So I end up emptying a nearly full water bowl sometimes, just because there's either a little fur in it or too much Jemma spit...

So how often do you fill up your water bowl?

(gimme a minute to make the poll)

Cathy1
September 7th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Duke will only drink cold filtered water so we put in a water system and I have to change his water every 1 -2 hrs. Jasper doesn't care either way.

Dog Dancer
September 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Prin this made me laugh, because when I read it my first thought was I don't use a bowl, I use a cup. And I use filtered water - never the toilet. Of course you meant the dogs bowl... When it's really hot out I sometimes put the cold filtered water into the bowl, but more often it's tap water with a chunk of ice in it in the summer (cubes melt too fast to do any good so I freeze an old margarine tub and it fits nicely into the water bowl). Mostly they get clean water morning and night, but I top up the bowl when I get home at lunch too if it looks low. This is often when I put the ice in also as it's the hottest part of the day.

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Wow your beasties are spoiled! My doggies get plain ol' tap water and sometimes in the summer, it's not so cold either. :o

Hunter's_owner
September 7th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Hunter is pretty picky. He will walk to his water and smell it, if it isn't "suitable" he will walk away. If the water in his bowl isn't suitable he will walk to the toilet, but we always leave the seat down for that reason, lol. Funny how water left out for awhile is less appetizing than toilet water :rolleyes: .

PetFriendly
September 7th, 2006, 05:32 PM
The dog prefers filtered water from the fridge. If the water in the dish has been sitting there more than 12 hours, he'll wait till he gets outside and drink from the rain buckets (ya, cause that's much better water :eek: ) . He's too small and clumsy to drink out of the toilet.

The cats prefer day old water, room temperature, but there can't be pieces of dog food floating in it (cats share water dishes with the dog). The male cat will resort to the toilet if there are floaties in the water dishes, he has yet to fall in... The female cat is too good for the toilet and will just wait for the dishes to be rinced

Jackie467
September 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I voted twice a day but really my answer wasn't there. lol. I know that drives you crazy prin :crazy: . In the summer we usually run out of water about twice a day but in the winter it is usually only once. We have two dogs drinking from the same bowl and it's not very big so the water usually doesn't last long enough for it to need to be replaced for any other reason. I didn't pick just when it's empty though because if it wasn't empty it would still get changed at least once a day. In fact that is what I do with Jazzy's water, changed every morning. (she has her own bowl, she can't be expected to drink for the commoners bowl, she is too much of a queen for that) Candi, Jazy and BJ aren't too picky, they just drink cool tap water. neither have ever drank from the toilet but then again they have never had the oportunity. (I despise when the lid is left open.)

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Who's BJ?!

technodoll
September 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM
i would say the water bucket & bowl both get fresh water morning and night whether they need it or not, and then of course if the water is low, dirty, or gone, it's time for a refill. Plain tap water. :)

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 05:56 PM
You have two?

Jackie467
September 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
sorry should have explained. I still live with my mother and BJ is her dog. He's a whippet.

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Ahhh, I thought he was new. Are there any pics up anywhere?;)

Skryker
September 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I had to go to a big glass mixing bowl for my monster dogs. Otherwise, i was filling the bowl every couple of hours, sometimes taking it off of Fingal first. If the bowl was empty, he picked it up and carried it around. Now, about twice a day does it-unless there's floaties (which is more my issue than the dogs :o ) or they've been playing hard. Then it gets refilled more often.

The cat has an auto-waterer now b/c her dish was emptying too fast from evaporation. It used to not be a problem since it was in the bathroom and I could refill it everytime I went in there, but it's in the bedroom now and I don't want HRH to run out of fresh water. She will hop up and drink from the bathroon sink or (ewwwww) out of the toilet if she can-it's colder and fresher(?) that way!

My brother's cats won't drink from a bowl at all; he has to leave the bathtub faucet running slightly for them. :rolleyes: His previous cat drank by letting the water from the sink tap run down his head, then slurping it off his whiskers.

Frenchy
September 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
i would say the water bucket & bowl both get fresh water morning and night whether they need it or not, and then of course if the water is low, dirty, or gone, it's time for a refill. Plain tap water. :)
Same here.They have their own water bowl but they drink wherever they like.They know it's only water and not food so they don't mind if Sam drinks in Bailey's,Bailey's in Daisy's bowl ....but not with food!

Jackie467
September 7th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Ahhh, I thought he was new. Are there any pics up anywhere?;)
well he's not really new. He was living here before I moved in. I know there are some pics floating around here somewhere but I think I'm going to put some new ones up tonight.

LibbyP
September 7th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Okay before I say anything nobody is aloud to laugh, you must remember I am watering around 220 lbs of animal:eek: I went to our local TSC store and bought 2 large animal feed bowls (you know the ones for horses/cattle) ya well I have two, one inside that I fill every am and one outside fill every other day, straight from the tape for my kids, cats share with the dogs plus have their own auto water in the laundry room. (I also agree with Jackie467 I despise toilet lid being left open:yuck: )

mummummum
September 7th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I have four large stainless steel mixing bowls around the house and refresh them 3 or more times a day. In the hotter weather I'll freeze smaller bowls of water and dump the ice block into the waterbowls with water (I read somewhere that ice cubes can chip and wear down tooth enamel). I try to give them filtered water but often run out. And thankfully we have no toilet-slurpers here! :eek:

SnowDancer
September 7th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Elmo has his bowl of bottled water - but he prefers to drink from a bone china tea cup after watching me pour the water into it. Well I guess someone has to use the tea cups - I don't drink tea. This started when I put a little bit of his kibble into a cup one day to add to his round Kong, one piece at a time. Then he looked thirsty so I poured some of my water into said tea cup and a monster was born. On the other hand, he never tips over the tea cup. I am such a wuss. But at least he drinks - if he only has his bowl he usually will want to have a huge drink right at bedtime, so catering to his little quirks works out a bit better - I know I am rationalizing.

Angies Man
September 8th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Wow your beasties are spoiled! My doggies get plain ol' tap water and sometimes in the summer, it's not so cold either. :o

Yeah, me too.

Angie really loves ice water from Starbucks best--she's a pretty cheap date when we go out. I guess it's filtered (both the water and the ice.) She has one of those hard plastic super cups from McD's and a cottage cheese cup cover that fits it pretty well, I just go in and ask for some ice water for my dog--the ladies at the coffee shop don't seem to mind. She slurps it right from the cup.

At home it's about twice a day for a fresh bowl--tho more often if I see food in the bottom of the water bowl or a fly doing the backstroke. We have pretty good tapwater in this part of town (I refill my water bottles from the tap, too.)

When it's hot (90 F today), I take her out in the backyard and chase her with the garden hose. She loves to be wet.

Prin
September 8th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Ok, SnowDancer, you win for most spoiled pup when it comes to watering.:D

Skryker
September 8th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Maybe I win for most spoiled cat, then. Heh, I'd forgotten about this. Dancer used to love to lick the condensation off of my water bottles, especially in the summer, so we worked out a deal-I'd only hold the bottles above the label, she got to lick the outside of the bottle below the label. Spoiled enough, right?

Then there was the day the bottle was dry and she wanted a drink, so I poured some water in the cap for her. So, now everytime I'm near her with a bottle of water-she gets a couple of caps full. She walks right up and expects it. She's usually good for 2 capfuls, sometimes more. In fact, she usually gets her capful before I get any.:rolleyes:

(My husband thinks it's one of the cutest things ever, but don't tell anyone! It might ruin his tough-guy rep.:p )

SnowDancer
September 8th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks, Prin! The funny thing is I have spoken on the street with another Eskie owner who has same problem - this is her second Eskie and the first was the same. Sometimes she will have her pup with her on a hot day and be begging her to take a drink from their "carry-around" bottle/dish - and the dog will refuse - despite the fact that her tongue is hanging to knees. So one lady will pour the water down her own throat first and then her Eskie will allow her to do same with him. At home the same thing - somehow it tastes better. He can even tell the difference between President's Choice water and my San Benedetto. But since he has finally lost the 5 lbs. ordered by the vet (I am still shocked by his weigh-in at 21.5 lbs.) I am catering to this new habit of is. He is also getting a smaller cookie than the Northern Biscuits - it is a Salmon Snap - broken into 4 pieces - doesn't matter size of cookie - has to be 4 - he can count. Smart and Stubborn.

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I voted for the :shrug: one.

They have a stainless steel 4 litre bucket that I fill 3/4 full four times a day. It's not empty when I refill, I just like to give them fresh water. And, of course, if they've been outside digging :evil: and the water gets dirty, it gets changed then as well.

dogmelissa
September 8th, 2006, 03:11 PM
This is a discussion I don't think I've ever thought about starting, but it's an interesting one. I *thought* my pets were spoiled until I read how many of you change their water up to 4 times a day. Wow.

So, here's my scenario.
Cube (maltese) is locked up in the front entry every morning. He has a ceramic bowl that is usually dry by morning, so I refill it when I leave.
Taz (my 23 lb cat) gets locked in the basement every morning, and he has one of those auto-waterer things that's just a jug over a bowl. It gets refilled when emptied and cleaned/refilled when it gets yucky (maybe once every 2 weeks). He also really likes to lick water out of the tub; he gets in, meows at us (he only does this when we're getting ready for bed at night), and we just turn the water on until it comes out and then off right away, and he licks up what doesn't go down the drain. :crazy: Rusty (one of the girls) will sometimes lick drips from the tub faucet (turn water on so low it's just a frequent drip), but she doesn't seem to do that now as much as she used to.

The girls (2 cats) left loose in the house all the time, have a pet fountain that is refilled as needed (about once a week) and cleaned about every other week. They also have a movie-theatre popcorn bucket (the promo kind for movies) that sits on the rocks beside my fireplace, and that's filled whenever it gets empty (every week?). We discovered they'd drink water out of a bucket when we put it there while having a fire, in case something sparked--and within 5 minutes there was a kitty drinking from it, so now we just leave it there and fill when necessary.

All 4 animals have access to all 4 water things when we're home.
All 4 water containers/bowls are filled with filtered water, but it's not like a Brita from the fridge, it's one of those little under-sink ones where the water flows through it on it's way out a special tap. I'm not sure what the filter actually takes out, but I don't like the taste of tap-water so this filter is for me mostly. We have very hard water here, and I used to have really bad calcium deposits on all the water bowls, but since I've been using the filtered water it's a lot less.

Oh, I forgot; Cube also has a rabbit-style water bottle attached to his kennel (which he sleeps in at night). Also filtered water.

All this water talk has made me need to pee! ;)
Melissa

meb999
September 8th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I rince out Buster's bowl and refill it with water twice a day.

Stacer
September 9th, 2006, 12:46 AM
We used to just have a glass bowl, but we notice that the cats didn't really drink from it but instead preferred the toilet or the dripping bathtub faucet. Then I read that cats like moving water so I bought one of those Fresh Flow pet fountains and they both like it. At first I was changing the water in the resevoir daily, now I do it every couple of days. The fountain has its own filter on it, so the cats are drinking tastier water than us.

Golden Girls
September 9th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I have this huge stainless steel bowl "cold fridge water" which sits on an elavated toweled pastic bin (their slobs) I change it quite a bit in a day but have never taken note how many times LOL If I'm gone for more then 7hrs though I'll fill it only 1/2 way and put ice cubes in it. They always come running when I'm pouring it ... somehow it taste even better before it hits the bowl :shrug:

But wow we sure have alot of spoiled pets here :love:

OntarioGreys
September 9th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I reoplace/refills bowls about 4 times a day, I have noticed the dogs will avoid the water if it has sat for a while, but will drink when it is freshly filled.

I guess no different from myself, I find the water tastes weird when it has sat for a while unless it has been refrigerated

Furbaby Momma
September 10th, 2006, 10:15 AM
For my furkid's and the rescues, I have the really big stainless steel bowl in the house that is filled two and sometimes three times a day with fresh cold well water everyday. I have a kiddie pool in the summer that is cleaned and filled with fresh water daily for the gang to drink and play in under a big shade tree.

Skryker
September 10th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Ha, my beasties prefer not to drink water that has sat for too long, either, and they get bottled water on walks, but left to their own devices, they will drink from puddles or the river if they're swimming. So much for fussy doggies with good taste :evil: .

angeldogs
September 11th, 2006, 03:33 AM
My boy drinks alot.And it gets changed just as much or more.when he chews or playing with his kong.It gets dirty.And droppy lips leave dirt in bowl

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 11th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I am sure I do Joeys at least twice a day or more. He had two matching dishes one for food and one for water. He thinks its great fun to pick it up and dump it then take the dish to his bed. So now he has a big old cooking pot that is now his water dish. Joey gets tap water unless there is a boil water advisory. :D