Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat likes to pee right beside his box

treid018
September 7th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hi,
My 1 year old cat likes to pee right beside his litter box. He does pee in his box most of the time, but goes on spurts where he pees right beside his box. I got him another litterbox and put it in a different area of the house, which helped for a while, but he's doing it again! I've changed the litter type (clay, clumping, Yesterday's News), and I stopped using litter deodorizer, but it doesn't seem to matter. I clean his boxes everyday, sometimes twice. He is neutered, and otherwise well behaved, other than his occasional whineyness.
I'm a student, so taking him to the vet is kind of a last resort thing...I'd like to try some behaviour modification first. I have tried watching him carefully and praising him when he uses his box. I have also tried limiting him to just the bathroom until he gets used to his box. These things work for a while, but he eventually starts peeing beside his box again (I clean up the pee with enzyme cleaning solution for cat urine).
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Writing4Fun
September 7th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Well, when it comes to cats and their litterboxes, the vet should be the first resort. Most of the time, the problem is due to some sort of urinary problem - an infection or crystals or similar infliction. Also, changing his routine (ie. new litter, new box, behaviour training) might stress him out, causing him to indulge in even more inappropriate urination. Talk to your vet about a payment plan or offer to clean out cages or something. A $50 check-up should be the first thing on your list. Good luck!

treid018
September 7th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Well, the reason I'm hesitating on taking him into the vet is that this behaviour is quite sporadic...he goes for a month or more using his box really well, then he'll pee right beside it a bunch of times (still sometimes using the box), then go back to good box behaviour. Sometimes he'll pee beside his box once every couple of weeks, but it's not a real frequent thing, unless he's on a spurt of peeing beside the box. I do try to make all litter changes slowly, so he doesn't get stressed out. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could try with him before I have to take him into the vet.

Writing4Fun
September 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Is there any chance there could be a stray cat outside the window stressing him out? :shrug: Some cats are really sensitive to others in their 'territory'. Were there any other changes in his routine? A new friend making frequent appearances at your place? Some construction going on next door? A new pet in the apartment down the hall? As far as it being sporadic, that doesn't mean it isn't medical. I know, personally, that I've had issues that 'came and went' (as it were) in terms of what kind and how much pain I was feeling. Could be that whatever problem he has is 'coming and going', meaning there are periods when he's less uncomfortable and periods when he's more so. Just throwing suggestions out there for you. Good luck. :pawprint:

treid018
September 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks!! :)

Maya
September 7th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I know, personally, that I've had issues that 'came and went' (as it were) in terms of what kind and how much pain I was feeling. That's a really good point.

That's why a checkup is also a wise idea. It could be a mild infection or something that flares up from time to time causing irritation or pain. After you rule out a medical condition, you might try looking into a diet change, which can help with strange behavior/irritability. Good luck. :cat:

vfrohloff
September 8th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Have you actually seen him peeing outside of the box? The reason I ask is because it's possible that your cat is in the litter box but has his butt hanging over the edge and pees on the carpet by mistake. I had one very long cat who used to do this. I went and bought a couple of those under the bed Rubbermaid storage bins and I use them as litter boxes (without the lids on them of course). If you go and buy one, just make sure it's shallow enough that the cat can get in it without having to jump in.

Something else to consider is that many cats do not like to pee and poop in the same place, so you may want to get a second litter box. If there is a poop in the box and your cat has to pee, he may just pee on the carpet instead. Do you keep your litter box clean? It should be cleaned at least once a day, preferably twice. Is your litter box a covered one? Many cats feel trapped inside them and prefer to go outside of the box where they can be on alert for any enemy attacks, so you may want to get an uncovered box. If that's not an option, make sure the box is in a quiet place, if there is too much noise around the cat may feel insecure in his litter box. Also, I would stick to unscented clumping litter, most cats seem to prefer it over other kinds. You also need to clean the area that he's peed on with a cleaner like Nature's Miracle. This will take the smell out so he won't be so inclined to use that spot. Once a certain area has been peed on cats are likely to go back and re-pee unless it's cleaned properly and no longer smells.

Maya
September 8th, 2006, 02:17 PM
That's funny I forgot about the over the edge thing. I had a boy kitty that started out peeing in the squat position and then he would slowly raise himself up while peeing, he had to have an inclosed litterbox, otherwise the pee went on the wall and under the box.:rolleyes: Another girl of mine just got confused every once in a while and hung her behind over the edge to poop outside the box. :shrug: