Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What type of bone is best?????

jessymoka
September 7th, 2006, 10:30 AM
:dog:

Question... yesterday in a topic someone had mentioned that pig ears are full of bacteria and could be causing my 5 month old pups bad breath.

She has a TON of different types of bones and now I am concerned about what is best.
So lets do this... I will tell what types of bones we have and someone tell me yea or nea. And can I get some suggestions on good bones?

I let her have MANY at one time and we have not had ANY chewing issues yet on things that are not supposed to be chewed.

We have #1 Pig Ear (already gotten rid of that though)
#2 Pig skin twist (Is this just as bad as the pig ear?)
#3 We have one of those bones that is an actual bone w/ meat
#4 She has rawhides
#5 She has some of those knotted end bones (I am not sure if they are rawhide of what)

I don't want to give her a nylabone because of the material it is made out of I guess I just kinda think if she thinks its okay to chew those that material maybe she will get interested in the kids toys.
Not only that but my mom has always bought them for her dogs and they seem to have very little interest in them.

Thanks!!!!!

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM
None of the above?
I don't get what #3 is though... The knotted rawhides are the worst. No matter how they eat them, they always end up with a huge piece that can be swallowed in one shot (can block the GI tract)..

Not sure about the pig skin either.. Is it like leather? Or rock hard?

erykah1310
September 7th, 2006, 04:37 PM
my dogs have always gotten real cow legs and so on,( not store baught) thats the bones that they chew.
I think thats what you are referring to in #3.

mummummum
September 7th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Only fresh raw, meaty bones in my house. Most often cow shanks & hocks but occasionally we'll get something exotic (frozen) from a petstore in my neighbourhood ~ I think they had ostrich the last time.

Angies Man
September 8th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Angie had a bone the other day, a bit of raw beef bone with some actual meat and grisle on it. She knawed on it a while, but puppy teeth didn't do much to the bone part.

I'm a bit nervous about e. coli and salmonella, so after she lost interest in it, I tossed it in the trash. Used to be that our dogs would work on the same bones for days, but I think those days are behind us, unless the bone comes from a local shop that doesn't get it's meat from one of those huge slaughterhouses and feedlot beef. ( and definitely not in hot weather.)

Guess one of these days I'll have to bone a lamb leg and let her have the bone. . .

Pigs ears? Pigs feet? Cows hoofs? :yuck: If they smell bad, and you want to wash up with Lysol or even Clorox after handling them, do you really want them in your dogs mouth?

Btw, every dog I've ever had has had one Nylabone, chewed the nubs of it and was never willing to chew another one--good for teething, but my dogs never wanted to make a habit of them.