Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Cat Questions

Daizy
September 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I'm only thinking about it as I still have lots of research to do on the subject .... I know very little about the ins & outs of cats ... but I'm thinking of adding a house cat to my two small poodles. Believe it or not but if I take my darlings to a friends house with a cat they love it, they are just so interested in it and this particular cat is not fussed by them and when they see cats on their walks they just want to go and say hi, its actually very sweet particularly if the cat is a brave cat :cloud9: Basically do any of you have any advice? Thanks in advance :dog:

cpietra16
September 6th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Well, just to let you know, not all cats like being sniffed or looked at by dogs..:D having said that, I have 2 wonderful fosters that love dogs...and I have a lab.
If you really want to introduce a cat into your family, just call a rescue and they will have a pretty good idea about which cat gets along with dogs.

happycats
September 7th, 2006, 06:48 AM
It's often better to get cats in pairs, because they entertain each other......that being said, they are nocturnal, and LOVE to play, run, jump, and FLY through the air, in the middle of the night:rolleyes: (that's why 2 are better then one) or YOU become the play thing at 3:00am:D .

Cat's are like people, each has it's own unique personality. That's why it bothers me when people say "I hate cat's". I always respond "How do you know? You haven't met them all" :D I am sure you will have no problem finding one that will fit perfect with your family. As Cpietra16 stated, fosters are a great place to start, they can help you find the perfect fit.

So what do you want to know? ask away :)

Daizy
September 7th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks for your replies :)
Now I was thinking a short haired cat would better to maintain - I might have found a kitten, but its fluffy - are all kittens fluffy? Also, can you buy kitten food or is cat food the same (I guess I should just go check out the pet store to find that out really)! I'm sure there will be lots of questions as they arise, maybe if anyone knows of any good websites.

happycats
September 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I have both long haired and short haired cats, and really they maintain their own coats. The only difference is once in a while the long haired ones get ...poo poo cling ons:o but keeping the fur around that area cut, works great:) Yes there is kitten food, and SOOOOOO many different brands to choose from, so sometimes gets a bit confusing as to what's best. I now have all my cats on Petsmarts brand "authority" and they are doing great, and their coats have never had such a beautiful shine.

Daizy
September 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I've gotten a Kitty:cat: Well to be exact I'm picking her up, either this evening or tomorrow evening. She is 9 weeks old. I am going to get everything in readiness after work. Apparently, she is being fed Kitten Chow by Purina. I will buy that so as not to upset her initially ... but is that an okay kitten food - any suggestions as to one I should change her over to ... do I changer her over to her new food gradually as with dogs? Thanks agains for your wisdom!

dtbmnec
September 7th, 2006, 04:59 PM
It's often better to get cats in pairs, because they entertain each other......that being said, they are nocturnal, and LOVE to play, run, jump, and FLY through the air, in the middle of the night:rolleyes: (that's why 2 are better then one) or YOU become the play thing at 3:00am:D

Speaking of flying through the air....the littlest visitor decided that attacking my foot in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping. That ended up with the kitty flying through the air....He was unhurt so it was ok but it was rather funny to watch....so beware! (oh and I might mention that this is while the two other kitties he could be playing with are in another part of the room)

I don't suggest kicking you're kitties but it was partially Dart's fault....he jumped as I moved in reaction....hehehe in fact he came right back for more "abuse" until I tossed him out of the room :) (at which point he meowed so forlonly you'd think that we were torturing him outside the bedroom door)...*shakes head* the little drama queen!

Megan

Daizy
September 11th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I'm sure I will have lots of little adventures like that .... thanks! Here is a picture, I have called her Jemima - she is totally fine with my two dogs and they love her, the eldest will just sit and look at her while she's sleeping and the other tries to lick her to death.

badger
September 11th, 2006, 10:23 AM
OOMG she's a little sweetie. Just a thought - is that dry food and is she OK with it. In a kitten so young, I would feed canned, or dry with water added.
I'm glad it's working out with the dogs. I would make sure they're supervised, though, and keep her apart when you're away from home.

Daizy
September 11th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Well its dry as that's what she was eating before. It's the Paul Newman organic one. She is eating without aid from the bowl, but also I have been helping and I have dipped each piece of kibble in water and given it to her. She is also drinking milk quietly happily and her pooh is totally fine, maybe she's not one of those cats that are lactose intolerant. She is also drinking water, she seemed to prefer the milk but would drink water from my damp finger and this morning I saw her investigate the water and start drinking it ... so cute! Thanks for the tip though I shall investigate some soft food.

rainbow
September 11th, 2006, 07:08 PM
She is very cute. Does she have blue eyes or is just my computer?

My cats ate dry kibble when they were that young without any problems. In fact, they didn't like it moistened at that age. Paul Newman's food is a good one. I'd also feed her wet food though and I don't think she needs to have milk (JMO).

happycats
September 11th, 2006, 07:17 PM
AWWWWWWWWW, my favorite cat colour too:love: ( I have 2 black ones) Good luck with Jemima!! And if you have any questions, ask away!:)

Daizy
September 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Actually her eye's are beautiful they are the colour of a light jade & of course with the black fur it's stunning. I do have question, I'm wondering though if I should start a new thread ... last night she went all by herself to the cat litter (I'm so proud!) and did poo but then Buttercup who is my 8 month miniature poodle promptly ate the poo .... I have moved the litter box somewhere where hopefully this won't happen again .. but is this normal? She doesn't eat Daisy's poo.:yuck:

rainbow
September 12th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Dogs love litter box treats. :D You will have to find a way to block their access to it. ;)

Daizy
September 12th, 2006, 03:33 PM
That's soooo gross :yuck:

chico2
September 12th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Awww,Tootsie-rolls for doggies:D
Your little one is really sweet,my Chico when he was a baby,also had blueish eyes,most kittens do,her eyes will most likely change as she gets older...
Here's a tiny pic of my Chico as a kitten(now 7 yrs old)

Daizy
September 13th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Sooo cute, looks just like pretty little Jemima.

chico2
September 13th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Here he is now,the biggest love-bug!

Daizy
September 14th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Beautiful!

JoshLauraMcGirr
September 14th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Your kitty is adorable.

For the "poo" issue, I would think about getting one of the enclosed litter boxes that have the little flap on it.

Like this one. (its 12$)
http://www.furlongspetsupply.com/images/Petmate%20Hooded%20Litter%20Pan.jpg
or............. for an extremely spoiled kitty:queen: .(yea, it looks like a space ship, lol)
http://www.litter-robot.com/default.aspx?ac=1?source=ysm08

Something with a little hood may keep your puppies out, because it wouldnt be in plain view of them.

Daizy
September 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM
OOh I like the robot one, thanks!

cpietra16
September 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM
My Winnie stuck her head in the flap....be careful, if they want it badly they will get it:D
The best place to put the litter from a salivating dog is;away, far away, enclosed area.. away....:D
"If they poop it they will come":D for people who have seen Feild of Dreams...:D

Sucker4aStray
September 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I would reccomend a covered litter box, a determined doggie will go after the "kitty krunchies" no matter what, but I have found that with a covered box a sharp slap to the cover with a fly swatter will frighten most dogs away from the box, as they will associate the frightening noise with the box.

rainbow
September 15th, 2006, 12:22 PM
My Winnie stuck her head in the flap....be careful, if they want it badly they will get it:D
The best place to put the litter from a salivating dog is;away, far away, enclosed area.. away....:D
"If they poop it they will come":D for people who have seen Feild of Dreams...:D

I agree. :D Daizy has two small dogs and I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem getting their heads into an enclosed litterbox. :D The best option is to prevent access to it. ;)

Daizy
September 15th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Yes, its amazing where they can manage to go:)