Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First post and Help Needed

Trevor
September 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Hi my name is Trevor and have a 12 year old English setter please can anyone give me some advice on how she will let me administer eye drops she gets so stressed and i am a bit of a softie when it comes to holding her firmly enough.Jenny has a cataract in one eye so i must get these drops in daily to control three cysts she has in the other eye please please someone come up with an answer i am getting as stressed as she is .

chico2
September 6th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Trevor,I don't have a dog,but I know with my cat,one person had to hold his head straight,the other put the drops in....and of course afterwards they get a treat.
There really is no magic way:sorry: Good Luck:dog:

Trevor
September 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks Chico for your prompt reply will try anything will let you know how i get on ?? :fingerscr

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Welcome to the board, Trevor. I agree with Chico. It's difficult to do with a large dog and an extra pair of hands would definitely help. A treat afterwards may help with the stress issue (for both of you :D ).

We'd love to see some pics of Jenny.

SnowDancer
September 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM
We had to do this with a dog once and experienced same difficulties you are. In the end I held the dog's head and my husband administered the eye drops. Worked out best because he had worn contacts for so many years he had no problem with the eye products, whereas I who have 20/20 vision and hence do not has his experience, had great difficulty squirting eye drops into my eyes a couple of years ago when I had a slight problem. So if someone is good with eye drops - that person should do the deed.

Marshmallow
September 6th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Try putting the drops into the corner of the eye falling inward so that the dog doesn't see it coming. That is what freaks them out. Perhaps you can do it while she is laying on her side. good luck!

phoenix
September 6th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Yes, don't go head on to the eye, come at them from the side. Good luck! It's a tough job.