Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

? for breeds that "blow" coat

dogcatharmony
September 6th, 2006, 02:34 PM
this is strange to me..........this is zoe's third summer/fall season (she is a mix of chow and norweigian elkhound) and she always has blown he coat in the spring...........looks like taking wool off of sheep. anyways last week i noticed that she was blowing her coat again.......this has never happened twice in a year. and she seems very agitated about it...increased chewing and licking and she has started to make a bald spot. so off to the vet i go. he did the normal check for fleas and ticks ( she doesn't have them) and she doesnt have hot spots, he said the one spot looks dry and gave my a coat conditioner and told me that i should be grooming her every day ( have to anyways when she blows coat) and no more playing in the sprinkler for her. he also gave her a shot that will help with the itch. he scheduled her for another appt in 6 weeks. i dont know if i am comfortable with his diagnosis and i was just wondering if it is normal to blow coat more than once a year or if i am being paranoid for no reason. i appreciate the help. thankyou much

MyBirdIsEvil
September 6th, 2006, 02:46 PM
If your dog is indoors most of the time she could blow her coat more than once or at the wrong time of year, but she shouldn't be licking enough to get a bald spot, so I don't know.
Do you bathe her often? Maybe her skin is just really dry. What kind of food do you have her on? She could have an allergy or maybe the quality of the food is just making her skin irritated or dry.
Did he do a skin scraping? Maybe she got ringworm or something and it's just starting to show up.

Prin
September 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Could be allergies too.. It's deep into ragweed season here.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Btw, I have a chow-mix and she gets skin problems really easy. If she wasn't on high quality food she'd be shedding constantly and she gets red itchy spots on her skin if she eats anything with chicken in it. We used to think she had fleas really bad when she was a puppy but it turned out her food was making her itch.
She's also sensitive to several other things, I think chows tend to get skin problems, but I can't remember.

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM
my kids blow their coats twice per year (late spring, and late summer), typical akita-style. alot of nordic breeds do the same, as well, some even three times per year. Have you tried the Furminator, or a grooming rake to get all the thick, dead undercoat off? could be causing the itch... but yeah, doesn't sound right about the chewing and licking, it's something a dog with allergies would do. what are you currently feeding?...

dogcatharmony
September 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
the vet also took a fecal and blood sample and told me he would call if there were any results ( this was a week ago and i have not heard anything yet) as for the bald spot there are still llong hairs growing there but it is like she ripped out the downie underfur and u can really see the skin. he said that is this was a particularly bothersome spot she could have devolped a "compulsion" to continue agitating that spot and that is why he gave her a shot to help with itching ( she hasnt been scratching the way she was since then and if she goes to put her nose in the spot and u tell her no she wont touch it) i bought a special comb that helps take out the dead fur and so far everyday i get a bag ful. he said that this also could be why she is itchy....she loves the sprinkler and was playing in it almost every night and the vet said with her blowning hair it could have created a dry spot. as for food i posted awhile ago about her obsession with dog chow ( zoe the picky eater) so im confused....i dont like seeing her agitated.

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 03:24 PM
ah yes zoe the akita look-alike :D i really think she's blowing coat... it's normal for her breed(mix) and the time of year.... brush, brush, brush and if it doesn't stop in about 3 weeks, you'll have to look at giving her supplements to boost "good coat & skin" nutrients. Fish Oil capsules (1000mg/ day) work well, as does "Missing Link" and other food supplements. In any case, she should be getting those as the only food she will eat is of very poor quality (i don't envy your struggles!) :fingerscr good luck!

dogcatharmony
September 6th, 2006, 03:59 PM
hopefully i am just paranoid. i have this fur phobia........my big cat amos developed anxiety when his sister passed away when she was a year old from a stroke ( R.I.P peanut:sad: ) and he started chewing his hair off his whole body. his poor little belly and legs are bare and they bleed and it has been an eight year struggle to help find the proper meds to keep him from doing this. it seems that each year he finds something new to stress him last year it was ceiling fans so far this year he seems to be okay. And he gets his kitty anti depressants and a shot that calms him for 6 weeks when he is really in high gear. so when i saw the dog chewing thats why she went to the vet immediately....i was scared that she would have to be treated the same way. so i keep my fingers crossed and thank all for the information

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Did you ever find a holistic vet to take Zoe to? :fingerscr

dogcatharmony
September 6th, 2006, 05:53 PM
i havent sucessful found one yet.........so far closest one is three hours away and i am a afraid that zoe wouldnt be comfortable driving for that long. im still poking around looking in michigan..........ive been lazy this last week , time to get back with it lol

SnowDancer
September 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I have a 29 month Eskimo who really hasn't blown his coat if you want to compare his "blows" to other Eskies. We get the usual tumbleweeds, but generally the groomer has to thin out his very thick fur. He is definitely teddy bear type of Eskie with the double coat. I have seen pictures on the Eskie board of giant bags of Eskie fur from a single blow - and YES! many of those same Eskies do blow twice a year. My Eskie does have dry skin as well - we feed him a holistic fish based diet. Did have him on The Missing Link for a bit - but just as we got to the 2 week period where he would have a full dose of the product, he would start having digestive problems. Must be a vitamin or something in it he can't handle. I myself really have to watch the B vitamins. But it sure did help with his scratching up to the 2 week part. I do not let my Eskie play in water - except of course for seemingly managing to get soaked every time in rains in Toronto and so far he has not had any hot spots for which I am grateful. Hope health wise your pup is okay.