Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What Steve Irwin Taught Us

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM
http://www.chako.org/dogblog/blogs/

What Steve Irwin Taught Us

Steve Irwin died September 4, 2006 when a stingray's barb pierced his chest. While I only watched one or two episodes of The Crocodile Hunter's exploits (and, frankly, considered him a little crazy, though undeniably passionate about wildlife), he was, without a doubt, unique. He brought wildlife into the homes of millions of people across the world, and he taught those who cared to learn a valuable lesson. With his trusted companion Sui at his side, he wrestled Crocodiles and braved Australia's wilderness. In one video, I watched Steve Irwin wrestle a huge male Crocodile into a boat then onto the shore. Sui remained by his side the entire time, just out of reach of the Crocodile's jaws while she periodically nipped at his tail to turn him away from Irwin.

Irwin made no secret that he loved Sui. In fact, he seemed to love all animals, big and small. His message to the world was one of conservation. Animals deserve respect. Humanity must work to preserve the creatures and wildlife that exist. Extinction is a very sad thing, especially when caused by human hands.

His lesson, however, hasn't reached everyone. In fact, if Irwin were to have visited some parts of the world with his sidekick Sui, he'd find his faithful companion confiscated and possibly even put to death for what she was -- a Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross.

Steve Irwin tried to teach the world to love and respect all creatures. His passion for animals was undeniable, his love for Sui complete. I can only hope that enough people have heard his message.

Unfortunately, it's too late for many of Sui's canine kin all over the world. Ironically, even Irwin's homeland, Australia, has lashed out at Sui's kind, creating laws that target "pit bulls." In the United States, places like Denver, Colorado kill "pit bulls" on sight, even wonderful dogs like Sui. I can only hope that, someday, Sui's kind isn't a distant memory.

Irwin never blamed an animal whenever one injured him. He always knew where to place the blame -- with a human.

Thank you, Steve Irwin, for trying.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/havenlandz/steve_irwin_sui.jpg

PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST

Prin
September 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM
:sad: That's just sad. I don't know what else to say.:sad:

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
well that brought on a load of fresh tears... i still can't believe he's gone, and that it hurts so much :sad:

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 01:26 PM
That is sad but another reason why he was such a remakable man.

chico2
September 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I watched many of his shows,I knew it would be safe,no animals were hurt or killed.
I remember when his dog was sick,Steve cried like a baby,luckily the dog survived and often he would be hearbroken over the smallest animal beeing hurt,even little Geckos.
He stopped construction on a building because they discovered there were Geckos living there,not until every Gecko was relocated did the construction continue.No animal was ignored,no matter how big or small.
Yes,he was crazy and sometimes a bit over the top,but a wonderful man and I loved him:love:
I still cry over this terrible loss,still have a hard time thinking of him as dead,he was the most alive person I've ever seen.
He was 1 in millions:love:

Cygnet
September 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I watched many of his shows,I knew it would be safe,no animals were hurt or killed.
He stopped construction on a building because they discovered there were Geckos living there,not until every Gecko was relocated did the construction continue.No animal was ignored,no matter how big or small.
:

That may have been your impression, but Mr. Irwin was certainly an enthusiastic participant in hunting (and killing) feral pigs to use as bait to trap crocodiles. This is not to say that I am sure that this was a horrible thing to do.

phoenix
September 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Pigs were domesticated, then let become feral, then became numerous, then he hunted them. (?)

Prin
September 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM
But weren't a lot of the crocs he trapped a threat people? He did a ton of relocations and the food chain is what it is... I mean it's not like you're going to be successful luring a croc with a piece of celery.:confused:

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
please - let's honor steve's memory for the wonderful man and fervent animal advocate that he was, and not go digging for scraps of old lint in the garbage... ok? :o

Prin
September 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Exactly! He got different species protected and also bought TONS of land to protect it too. What you see on tv isn't half of the good he did either.

jesse's mommy
September 6th, 2006, 07:18 PM
please - let's honor steve's memory for the wonderful man and fervent animal advocate that he was, and not go digging for scraps of old lint in the garbage... ok? :o

Exactly :thumbs up

seeker
September 6th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Agreed !!!!

chico2
September 6th, 2006, 09:34 PM
:offtopic: Yes,they hunted the wild boar,since they were too numerous and had become a threat to native wildlife.
They also collected and I assume,killed the Cane-toads as their poison killed wildlife,even crocodiles.
Steve was a giant among conservationists and that also meant to eliminate threats to the native animal population,where already too many animals have become extinct.
His hope was to teach the next generation,to respect,love and preserve the wildlife in the world,let's hope he spoke loud enough:love:

MyBirdIsEvil
September 6th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Yes,they hunted the wild boar,since they were too numerous and had become a threat to native wildlife.

Feral pigs can destroy HUGE pieces of land and native wildlife. Just about all over the world feral pigs are hunted because they displace native wildlife habitat, and they're also extremely dangerous. Yes there are wild animals that are also dangerous but feral pigs are NOT wild animals. They were once domesticated pigs who were either released or escaped and bred in the wild to the detriment of the native lands.
Though hunting is often seen as cruel, anyone who hunts feral pigs is doing a service to their native wildlife. Australia especially has a fragile ecosystem which is systematically being destroyed by foreign invaders.

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 01:01 AM
See? Even though he died, because of him, I'm still learning animaly things.:cloud9: :love:

chico2
September 7th, 2006, 07:26 AM
See,if Steves legacy can even reach little Prin in Montreal,Steves mission in life was a victory:love:

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
This is his charity site:
http://wildlifewarriors.org.au/

technodoll
September 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM
it must have exceeded its bandwidth... i can't get on :eek:

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Still works for me.:shrug: