Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Kitten Is Afraid of Me?

rockyandrichard
September 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I picked up a 6 mth old kitten from an adoption agency about a week ago. His name is Rocky, and Rocky is still a little freaked out by me. Although he occasionally jumps up on me, or my bed/couch, for the most part I think he's still scared of me and so he runs and hides whenever I approach him.

Making this worst is that I have to give him pills for an upper respiratory infection - not a pleasant interaction when I have to force a small pill into his mouth twice a day.

I figure he will eventually come to love me (I am nice guy after all) but is there anything I can do to help him feel more comfortable with me, and generally be less afraid of me (I suspect something happened to make him afraid of people but can't confirm that).

Thanks in advance.
:thumbs up

badger
September 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Time will take care of his fear. The 'pilling' complicates things, I agree. Try to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible, then let him go immediately. My vet sold me a gadget that has a rubber 'grip' for the pill at one end and a plunger at the other, which deposits the pill right at the back of their tongue, where they have no choice but to swallow it. It has been invaluable.
The cardinal rule is to always let him come to you. Take advantage of moments when he is relaxed to toss him a paper ball or a string and scratch him around the ears and head. Talk to him quietly.
Soon he will be all over you.
Thanks for giving this guy a second chance!

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I agree. Some cats take longer to "come around", especially rescues.

dtbmnec
September 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM
It took my rescue a little while to come to me too. :) He's all over me now (even likes to suck my clothes now!). It took him probably about a few days to come out and play but we had the wonderful thing called a laser pointer.

Cats LOVE laser pointers! Once they realise that they can chase it they loooooovee it! That's how I got my guy to like me :).

Oh and yes pillers are the awesome. I got mine for a whole 3 dollars from the vet and my fingers are thanking me for it right now! lol :D

Give him some time and he'll come around I'm sure. Once he figures out that you love him muchly he'll be putty in your arms (only on his terms though of course :p)

Megan