Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you store your dry dog food in?

ChancesMom
September 5th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I have a couple of containers that we pour our dog food into so that it will not get stale, however I am considering picking up something that will hold 30 - 40 pounds, is easy to handle and will keep the food as fresh as possible.

What do you use and why?

I am really just looking for ideas..

Thanks a bunch!

mummummum
September 6th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Kibble goes in a large aluminum garbage can which has a tight fitting lid. When everybody is eating kibble we go through the large bags in about 2 1/2 weeks so it doesn't hang around for very long. They also eat fresh and cooked food which is stored in tupperware in the refridgerator and freezer. If there is anything left in a can of tripe or tuna etc. I generally just cover it with aluminum foil and leave it in the can until their next meal.

Puppyluv
September 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I dumped the 30 lb bag into a giant rubbermaid and put that in a closet, and then put about 8-10 lbs of it into a smaller rubbermaid container and keep that in a kitchen cubbord.

phoenix
September 6th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Blitz Stack n Stor! They are great, especially if you need 2 (like 2 kinds of dog food or something... I have only one).

vfrohloff
September 6th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I store mine in a large Rubbermaid container. I put their food dishes on top of it and they eat there too. It holds one of their 35 lb bags of food no problem.

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM
same as vfrohloff... :thumbs up

Dogastrophe
September 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Same here. I have a rubbermail container that will hold a 30 - 35 lbs bag. I tends to keep it fresh for the 20 days that it takes to go through a bag.

Prin
September 6th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I never transfer it... I go through it fast enough that it stays fresh.:o

SnowDancer
September 6th, 2006, 12:45 PM
A Rubbermaid container with a very tight seal - actually after I open the Fromms Four Star bag I put the bag into the container as apparently the bag helps retain food freshness. I buy the small size bag of the Salmon food for my 22 lb. dog. I could probably get away with the medium size but am afraid of the creepy crawlies - maybe I might get the medium in the winter. Although since my dog gains weight so easily, I might be better to stick with the smaller bag.

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Same as Prin. I just close the bag to get all the air out. ;)

K9Friend
September 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Same as Prin. I just close the bag to get all the air out. ;)

that's what I do too! :thumbs up

jesse's mommy
September 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Me too! :thumbs up

OntarioGreys
September 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I have raised feeder that can store food but later read that kibble should be kept in the bag not poured directly into plastic containers, so I now leave in the bag

I just bought Capri, my small chihuahua, Innova hard food for the first time. She always ate just canned. I called the company to find out how many cups are in the bag so I can do the math and figure out how long the bag will last (6.6 pounds). It's 19.9 cups per bag. That means the food will last her for about 2+ months. Not bad. I thought the food may go bad before she could finish it.

Anyway, I mentioned that I spit it up in zip lock freezer bags to keep outside of the refrigerator and she said that was not good. You have to either keep the food in the bag, or in the bag in a plastic container or in a glass container, but not directly in plastic. She said that plastic removes the vitamins from the food over time. I'm glad I kept the bag the food came in.

She also said to not store it on a cement floor and keep it in a cool dry place. You can put it in the refrigerator and it will last 6 months, but once open, it lasts 3 months unrefrigerated. I thought it lasted as long as the expiration date on the bag. I don't know what I was thinking since it's the same with people food. Once it's open, it deteriorates and also does not last as long as the expiration date which is just an indication of how long the food is staying fresh when unopened.

Well, I'm a new dog owner to an extent and I certainly learned something new today. I'm glad my conversation led to a chat about how long the food will last into how to keep it fresh.

How to Safely Store Your Dog or Cat Food

By Steve Brown and Beth Taylor

Would you keep a loaf of bread open in your kitchen for 39 days?

We hope not. That's how long an open bag of dog food typically lasts. This lengthy storage time and poor storage conditions often lead to nutrient degradation, oxidation of fats and infestation by molds, mites and other food spoilers.

Another set of numbers, as a dog owner, you want to be concerned about: One in three dogs dies of cancer. We believe improper storage at home is a major contributing factor to that mortality rate.

Dry dog foods usually have a one-year shelf life. That means the food is good for up to one year after the manufacturing date. Many dry foods stamp a best if used by date on the package. This applies only to unopened bags, however. High-quality dog food companies use bags that provide protection from oxygen and moisture. If the bag is intact, not enough oxygen and moisture can migrate into the food in one year to cause significant oxidation or microbial growth problems.

Though there are problems that can occur between the food manufacturer and the customer opening the bag, it's what happens after the bag is opened that we are most concerned with in this article.

Here's a short list of goodies, among others, that enter the bag after it's opened:

Oxygen
Moisture
Light
Mold spores
Storage mites

Oxidation of fats: As Dr. Mercola has shown, oxidized fats may cause cancer and contribute to many chronic health problems in humans. The same is true for dogs.

Dog food companies use antioxidants -- sometimes vitamin E and other natural sources -- to slow down oxidation. Every time the bag is opened, however, oxygen enters. Eventually, the antioxidants are all oxidized (used up) and some of the fats are damaged, starting with the more fragile omega-3 fatty acids that better pet food companies now add to their foods.

Degradation of all micronutrients: Vitamins particularly susceptible to oxidation and damage due to long-term room temperature storage include vitamin A, thiamin, most forms of folate, some forms of vitamin B6 (pyridoxal), vitamin C and pantothenic acid. The nutritional value of the food at the bottom of a bag left open 39 days will be considerably less than the food you remove when you first open the bag. Simply put, the fresher the better.

Molds and mycotoxins: Storing open bags of dry dog food for 39 days in warm, humid areas (most kitchens) promotes the growth of mold. Some of the waste products of this mold (mycotoxins) are increasingly being linked to long-term causes of cancer and other health problems in humans, poultry, pigs and other animals. Dogs are particularly susceptible to these toxins.(1)

When dry dog foods absorb moisture from the surrounding air, the antimicrobials used by most manufacturers to delay mold growth can be overwhelmed,(2) and mold can grow. The molds that consume dry pet foods include the Aspergillus flavus mold, which produces Aflatoxin B1, the most potent naturally occurring carcinogenic substance known.(3)

People don't see low levels of mold, and most dogs can't taste it.(4) In fact, many dogs have died shortly after eating mycotoxin-contaminated foods.(5) Mycotoxins kill most dogs slowly by suppressing the immune system and creating long-term health problems in all organs of the body.(6)

Infestation: Bugs, storage mites, mice, and other unpleasant invaders thrive on dry dog food. Recent research has shown that allergic dogs are frequently allergic to the carcasses of storage mites, which may infest grains, especially those grains used in low cost dry dog foods.

Our Recommendations

Keep food in its original bag, even if you use a container. Plastics can leach vitamin C out of the food and the components of the plastics themselves may leach into the food. Rancid fat lodges in the pores of plastics that are not food-grade and will contaminate new batches of food.
Buy small, fresh bags of food, enough to last seven days. Look for manufacturing or best if used by dates on the bag. If you don't see one, or can't understand the code, write the manufacturer and ask where it is or how to interpret their codes.
Keep food dry. If the food looks moist, throw it away.
Keep larger bags in the freezer. This is the only way we believe large quantities of food may be kept safely.
If the food is off-color, throw it away.
If the food smells rancid or like paint, throw the food away.
If your dog says no, do not force her to eat it.
Don't buy bags that are torn.

Follow these simple recommendations and you will radically reduce the deadly toxins your dog encounters. Read more in See Spot Live Longer.

wdawson
September 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM
i store all the dog,cat and rabbit food in the too large green bin the city gave me.......that thing would take a year to fill with organic matter.........the supposed mini indoor one holds 2 gallons......i have a composter and used for years.........so thanks hamilton its the best pet food container you can get......and for free

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 05:59 PM
but later read that kibble should be kept in the bag not poured directly into plastic containers, so I now leave in the bag

I had read that somewhere as well. Thanks for posting the quote.

meb999
September 6th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I let the air out of the bag and keep it shut with one of those chip-bag-clip. My dad uses a big metal tin, but his dog got sick once and the vet told him that if you use a re-usable tin (or plastic) container, that it has to be thoroughly cleaned every time you empty it (before adding a new bag of food) because it gets lined with the oil that's in the dog food and that oil gets rancid and full of bacteria :shrug: :yuck:

dtbmnec
September 6th, 2006, 06:34 PM
i store all the dog,cat and rabbit food in the too large green bin the city gave me.......that thing would take a year to fill with organic matter.........the supposed mini indoor one holds 2 gallons......i have a composter and used for years.........so thanks hamilton its the best pet food container you can get......and for free

roflmao...when I lived in the student house we never ever ever filled the big one and that was living with four guys and me! Oh and massive food wastage when the person who can't cook cooks too much!

I suppose maybe I should find a tupperware container to store my boys' food in....but it'd have to be small...but not too small....oh this could be fun! lol

Right now I'm storing it in the bag under the cupboards in with the treats and stuff....I think I shall change that though....I'm not sure where I'd put the excess though...Everyone says freezer but I haven't got room there....'course I've only been buying the 10kg bags that last for about two months or so anyway....I don't need bags any bigger than that....

Megan

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Megan, don't change. You're not supposed to store it in a plastic container. Read Ontario Greys' post.

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM
well the kibble here gets poured into a plastic bin with snap-tight lid because of the indian moth invasion here that just won't go away :eek: and they love dog food, so i HAVE to do this. and too lazy to wrestle with the bag in the bin, LOL! i figure heck, i buy then "good" kibble, it's part of their diet but not all their diet, sometimes can take months to go through a bag and it still smells and looks ok... they're fine. :shrug:

erykah1310
September 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I keep it in the bag but it goes into a big rubber maid garbage pail that locks, and it stays in the porch.

Keeps other critters from 'thieving' the kibble.

phoenix
September 6th, 2006, 07:54 PM
That's a good idea. I had no idea about the plastic.

dtbmnec
September 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Megan, don't change. You're not supposed to store it in a plastic container. Read Ontario Greys' post.

Yeah but right now its just sitting in the cupboard wide open which probably isn't good for it....so long as I lined the plastic thing with a garbage bag it should be fine right?

At the very least I need something to keep it closed....and something the cats can't chew open :frustrated:

Megan

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I would suggest to leave it in the original bag, squish the air out, and put the bag in a plastic container.

ChancesMom
September 7th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I am so glad that I asked!!!

The containers that I use now are not large enough for the bag so it looks like I need to get a rubbermaid trash can with a tight lid that I can put the entire bag in...

I just knew that I would get great information on this here, thanks a bunch!

Take care.
Chance's Mom

ChancesMom
September 7th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Oh! for those of you who use a trash can to put a 33 pound bag into (bag and all) what size trash can do you have?

I do not have a ton of room and I cannot fit a huge round can... I guess I am going to have to do some looking in the next couple of weeks (before I open the next bag) to get something....

Thanks again!