Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

AKC to open up to mixed breeds?

Cygnet
September 5th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I received an email indicating that the AKC's board of directors is seriously considering a registry for mixed breed dogs to allow spayed/neutered mixed breed dogs to compete in the companion dog events (obedience, rally, agility and tracking). This is fantastic news, and will benefit everybody, I think, and will also be great for AKC.

It will be discussed at the October AKC Board of Directors meeting. Perhaps this is a good time to email your support. (Can anyone think of single good reason to be against it?).

Your thoughts?

OntarioGreys
September 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Only problem I see is that breeders will have less incentive to register purebreds being sold as pets, because with registration it allows them to compete, it simply becomes an extra cost that now serves no real purpose

LM1313
September 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM
That's fantastic! I've always thought it's bizarre that they didn't let mixed breeds compete in sports that weren't based on conformation in any way. Yeah, they're a "purebred registry", but . . . still.

Writing4Fun
September 6th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I think it's a great idea to let spayed/neutered mixed-breeds compete. ;) I understand OG's concerns, though. They'll have to be very careful how they proceed - like making 100% certain that the mixed-breeds (or any non-registerable dog, really) is speutered, and making sure everyone knows the difference between an AKC purebred registration and a competition membership'.

Cygnet
September 6th, 2006, 08:38 PM
It wouldn't lessen the incentive to register purebreds at all, since the mixed breeds (as with ILP "purebreds" now, which often aren't quite purebred) would have to be registered befpre they could compete too and would likely pay at least a slightly higher registration fee than a purebred.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 6th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Wow, I hope this happens, I'd really like to enter Walnut in some stuff.
It seems that most of the time AKC sponsored competitions are easier to find than the ones that currently allow mutts, so hopefully this will be the case if they do allow mutts to compete.

Angies Man
September 7th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Surely they won't let the riff raff in?:evil:

Cygnet
September 8th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Go to any AKC agility trial and you will see that (somehow) the riff raff is already in. You seel lots and lots of mixed breed dogs, prompting the comment "I wonder what they ILPed THAT dog as." Somehow, the earth has managed to keep spinning despite the fact that mixed breed dogs have gotten AKC titles already...