Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

poor dakotah :-((

technodoll
September 5th, 2006, 10:04 PM
he's back from the vet and i have never seen a dog so "broken" by anaesthesia it breaks my heart. he's weaving and tottering and non-stop crying and whining and whimpering, his tail just hangs limp, and once in a while letting out this chilling wolf-at-the-moon howl while staring at the wall... is wrong with him?? just spoke to the breeder's husband (she's at work), and he thinks dakotah's in pain... and to give him 3 regular-strength aspirins to take the edge off. i'm going out to buy him some now... poor bean. i feel so terrible for having put him through this... but it was necessary.

oh and he was starving, so we gave him a bowl of semi-cooked beef roast cubes, and a slice of bread with cream cheese (he can only have soft foods for the next 2 days), and he's drinking like a camel... just wish he would stop crying. sigh. :sad:

erykah1310
September 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Poor Dakota:sad:
Hope he gets over it soon.

BoxerRescueMTL
September 5th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Millie just had a serious dental a few weeks ago. 8 teeth were extracted :(
(didn't have a choice, serious rotting and bacteria going on - not my fault she's a rescue thta we only got 2 months ago) Anyhoo, poor little beagle was in real pain after I brought her home 0 but they had sent me home with some Metacam and after giving a dose she was much better. Hope the (buffered!) aspirin helps...

Prin
September 5th, 2006, 10:35 PM
They didn't give you any pain meds? IMO, if they didn't, they didn't think he would need any (was it an extraction? Or did they just fix it?) Chances are he's just hallucinating from the meds. :shrug:

rainbow
September 5th, 2006, 10:36 PM
TD, do you know what time they gave him the anaesthetic? If he's just crying, chances are it's still the effects that are wearing off. I'd hold off giving him any aspirin for awhile yet.

technodoll
September 5th, 2006, 10:45 PM
ok got advice from the akita folks who work in clinics, and they said that crying and howling often happen to dogs who do not tolerate anaesthesia very well, and that once the effect of induction agent they give before they put them on the gas (it's injectable and takes longer to wear off), he'll be ok...

i gave him one aspirin cuz it's all i had in the house and everything in my neighborhood is closed. also dakotah was asking for the door so hubby took him around the block, he peed, and seemed a bit better after that even though still very wobbly, specially in the back legs. maybe he was also nauseous, and eating helped that? :confused: anyways... he's resting on the balcony right now, maika is with him licking his head and paws, and she's very subdued - not really understanding what's going on, i think.

sigh. if anything happened to my boy... something i caused... the pain would be unbearable. silly how we love them so much, isn't it? :o

thanks for being there, guys :grouphug:

Prin
September 5th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Don't worry!! And no more pills! :D He'll be fine.. This is why they usually make you pick them up the next day.

So what did they do?

technodoll
September 5th, 2006, 10:56 PM
prin i posted everything in this thread :)

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30275

glasslass
September 5th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I missed that thread, so thank you for posting it! Poor Dakota! Hugs, and when he's feeling a bit better, tummy scratches and, oh yeah, somebody to deliver them for me!

mummummum
September 6th, 2006, 01:37 AM
:grouphug: :pawprint: from all of us to all of you ~ hopefully a good night's rest will have Dakotah feeling better this morning:pawprint: :grouphug:

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM
our boy is "back" this morning! :o WHEW he needed a good night's sleep wear the drugs off... and now we know he's very sensitive to anaesthesia. the vet called this morning to see how dakotah was (love the follow-up!) and i told him about last night's episode, and he seems to think it might have been the drug given to him to wake up... every dog is different and this is the only way to learn.

we got big happy arooooos this morning, kisses, tail wags, but he's still a bit wobbly in the back legs... it'll be a quiet day of rest for him. BOY are his teeth every PERFECT though! :p

Puppyluv
September 6th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Awww, I'm glad to hear he's feeling better! You should give him a frozen fish for a treat.... oh wait.... no.... he won't like that, give him some cow bum! Or is he on soft foods for a while because of his tooth?

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM
yeah soft food for two days... last night he was starving despite his weird stoned behavior, he had semi-cooked cow butt cut in small chunks, and a cream-cheese sandwich, and some apricots (instead of hard cookies). this morning hubby fed him 2 lbs of ground chicken mixed with a green tripe patty and a drizzle of olive oil, very easy to digest. his dogsitter will probably spoil him with cooked ground hamburger & pasta... back to normal fare on Friday. :)

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Glad to hear Dakotah's almost back to normal. :grouphug:

Prin
September 6th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Glad he's ok. Where are the pics of this gazillion dollar gold tooth?:D

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
ha ha!! NO gold tooth... mommy's too broke, i'm afraid :rolleyes:

i'll take lots of photos of the happy bean this weekend, i'm going camping with a girlfriend and bringing him along for company & protection. maika will stay at home with daddy and get spoiled lots :crazy: