Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I did it!

erykah1310
September 5th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Well I have had the gears grinding about dog food since the whole cheerios reply.
I went out today after work and searched for a petstore that carried hollistic foods. I had a 1 hour long talk with the lady who worked at the store. I am now armed with A GOZILLION flyers.
For now however, I purchased 3 big bags of Solid Gold Wolf King For Meik and Kita gurl.

My next quest ( hopefully by friday ) is to find a good food for Puppy.

I am taking some before pics of the dogs and I want to compare in 4-6 months.

Tonite is the official small intro to Wolf King to Meik and Kita! :fingerscr

meb999
September 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM
congrats!!

You can expect some liquidy poops for a little while though, it takes some time for their tummies to ajust to healthy food without stool hardeners (imagine if you took pepto-bismol everydayfor a few years, then stopped abrubtly and ate lotsa salad! Chances are your tummy might be a little upset!!).

Let us know how things go!

erykah1310
September 5th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I forgot to ask too, how much should I put in with their food? I know it has to be a VERY gradual change, however for example 2 cups of pedigree to how much Wolf King?

Its actually a bit confusing to do this, from a not so good food to a good one.

Prin
September 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM
You can take 8 days to switch with 2 cups pretty easily. Just switch a 1/4 of a cup a day. If the doggy's belly gets upset, go back to the previous day's amount and stay there for a bit and then start even more gradually (like 1/8th cup a day switched instead of 1/4).

For Puppy, I think WK would work too, but you could supplement with glucosamine and probiotics too.:shrug:

mummummum
September 5th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Good for you Erykah! I'm sure once the switch is complete you'll never look back. Don't be surprised though if they "turn their noses" up at it at first. As the good stuff isn't coated with artifical flavouring and nasty fats, it doesn't have the same "alluring" odour (stench...). But hopefully they'll love it straightaway! :fingerscr

erykah1310
September 5th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Funny you should post that, as i was just going to ask about it.
Nikita is actually picking out her 'old' kibble and eating it and not the new stuff.
Do i just leave it or use it in tomorrow mornings attempt?

mummummum
September 6th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I don't free feed (if I did Bridie would weigh five hundred pounds and everybody else would be emaciated !!) and so what wasn't eaten after ten minutes of coaxing was/is re-used in the morning. But, if you can free feed you might try leaving it out for a bit...of course you've probably gone to bed.

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Yea erykah, glad to hear you made the switch. :thumbs up

I think you should have only purchased one big bag at first though. They may not like it and you'll end up on the dog food rollercoaster for awhile before you find a holistic food that they like. ;)

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM
i've never met a good petstore that didn't accept returned bags, whether they were opened or not. Always a good idea to buy the smallest bag, and go from there... that way you know your dog likes the food & doesn't have a terrible reaction to it :)

so are they eating the new stuff today? :crazy:

Prin
September 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I think you should have only purchased one big bag at first though. They may not like it and you'll end up on the dog food rollercoaster for awhile before you find a holistic food that they like. ;)
I agree, but I didn't want to say anything since you already bought them.:o I hope they like it. It's hard for them to understand that the smelly rancid fat that coats their old food is not good for them.:rolleyes:

erykah1310
September 9th, 2006, 02:50 PM
The pet store reassured me that i can return any unopened bags, thats why i baught so much ( and cause i had some extra money to "blow" so why not stock up a bit?? :D )

ON a side note however, I think Kita hates it!

Meik is loving it with little adverse reactions to it to. So at least he will eat the LOADS of it i baught.

However, Kita will eat whats left in her bowl. ( after her pedigree is gone) but she doesnt seem too thrilled about it.

Im gonna keep her mixture the same and very VERY gradually add more of the new food ( with out her knowing)
How long should I keep this up??
Like I said she is still eating it but not too willingly!

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 04:06 PM
However, Kita will eat whats left in her bowl. ( after her pedigree is gone) but she doesnt seem too thrilled about it.

Im gonna keep her mixture the same and very VERY gradually add more of the new food ( with out her knowing)
How long should I keep this up??
Like I said she is still eating it but not too willingly!

Until she's completely switched over to the Wolf King. :D

BTW, how are their poops?

erykah1310
September 9th, 2006, 06:01 PM
For Meik his poops are just about the same, a bit more stinky and gooey but not overly mooshy. He really is taking to the new food wonderfully.

Kitas poops are the same as before seeing as though she isnt really eating much of the WK.:shrug: BUT.... I think the small amount she has started to eat is the cause of the raunchy FARTS!!!!:yuck: She REEKS a bit more than usual!

I hope its from the food, then at least putting my sence of smell on the front line will be worth it.:D

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Hee hee, that's cuz she was on pedigree for so long so you gotta pay the price now with the stinkies. :D

Prin
September 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM
yeah, it will be stinky for a bit, but if it gets really bad for her, this might not be the right food for her. Meik sounds like he's having a fairly normal switch.:)

erykah1310
September 10th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Well everybody,
I kinda had a brain fart today and decided " Hey lets take Kita for a ride" So off to Sudbury we went. I wasnt even thinking..... but ...... SHE FARTED and it was pretty bad.:yuck: but her dinner today she actually ate alot of all the food.
Note to self.... during a dog food switch.... DONT TRAVEL!!!!
lol:D

rainbow
September 10th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Should never have had the brain fart, erykah. One fart leads to another. :D

phoenix
September 10th, 2006, 05:50 PM
lol boxers and their gas :eek:
add some plain yogurt. It helps (helps humans too!)

erykah1310
September 10th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Well tomorrow im buying some plain yogurt!!!
But she is eating the new food more willingly now. And thankfully the gas has kinda calmed down a bit, shes sleeping now!

rainbow
September 10th, 2006, 10:56 PM
How often do you give your dogs yogurt?

erykah1310
September 10th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Never have :o
How little should they get at first?

rainbow
September 10th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I don't know. I was giving it to my dogs about 3 times a week frozen in their kongs and probably about 2-3 tbsp. It was fine for my lab but a bit too much for my husky. So I was just wondering too.

meb999
September 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I used to put a small (like almost half) teaspoon of yogurt in Buster's kibble (when he was on Wellness....which made his farts so bad, he could've peeled the paint right off the walls!!) It helps a little...

erykah1310
September 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Little update,
Kita is eating her food now, and with out any problems. The stinky farts have subsided ( for now :eek: ) She is no longer picking through her kibble for the old stuff.
Poops look good ( as of this evening when I went to scoop) So hopefully the change will go well after all

Meik is doing fabulously as well ( as i knew he would)

Smiley14
September 12th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I can always count on something here making me laugh even on the worst of work days, LOL! It's been one of thoe days today... but now I'm chuckling and can't stop smiling while reading this thread. Don't you just love how pets can put us in such a good mood even on bad days! :dog:
The reason I'm chuckling is because I'll be going through the "dog food switch" in a few days as well. I ordered new food, so should get the first delivery in a few days. Petey normally has a stomach like iron and is rarely gassy, so hopefully my experience will be smooth, hehe. :) The last food switch went over well, but I've never tried the holistic food before either, so we'll see! But good to know what to anticipate from your experience though, LOL! :)

Glad to hear both of your doggies are doing well now with the switch! Yay! :thumbs up

Steph

erykah1310
September 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM
The one things about this board that always makes me chuckle is, we literally can talk poops and no one has a smart @ssed comment or anything.
In the "real" world, If i said " kitas poop is good with the new food switch" I would prolly be commited! :D

Prin
September 12th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I'm glad the switch is going well. Wait till the WK has an effect on the fur. You won't believe your doggies could ever look so good.:)

Smiley14
September 12th, 2006, 10:38 PM
The one things about this board that always makes me chuckle is, we literally can talk poops and no one has a smart @ssed comment or anything.
In the "real" world, If i said " kitas poop is good with the new food switch" I would prolly be commited! :D

Exactly. :D

erykah1310
September 16th, 2006, 02:06 PM
ON the poop subject... Meik and Kita are having some "mooshy" ones lately???
Is that normal?
ITs also kinda light colored ( still brown but lighter brown :D )

There has also been a bit less ( not weighing it or anything but the piles seems a bit smaller) is this cause their bodies are absorbing more???

jesse's mommy
September 16th, 2006, 02:12 PM
That's part of the detox and is normal. Jesse was like that when we switched her from Nutro to Wellness. I think some pumpkin would help if it gets too mooshy. (Someone chime in if I'm wrong.)

mummummum
September 16th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Yup pumpkin is good ~ canned but, not the kind that is for use in pies (it will specify this on the can). You can also add probiotic (either milk or soy based) and some digestive enzymes to their food. The lesser amount of poop means that they are consuming less "waste" ~ a good thing!

rainbow
September 16th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Yup pumpkin is good ~ canned but, not the kind that is for use in pies (it will specify this on the can).

Not exactly. I only use the pure pumpkin when I make pumpkin pie and add all the other ingredients to make the filling.

To be more specific, only use the canned "pure pumpkin" to add to your dog food not canned "pumpkin pie filling".

Prin
September 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
That's part of the detox and is normal. Jesse was like that when we switched her from Nutro to Wellness. Yeah, I think it's the corn that got stuck in there when the colon was paralysed by the beet pulp. :eek: No, it's normal to have some STINKY! mooshy ones at the beginning. Just wait- they get even smaller!:highfive:

(Not only do we discuss the poop, we highfive about it. :highfive: )