Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing Sitting Down?

Soonerd2
September 5th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Sorry if this is a repeat thread, but I didn't want to search through over a hundered threads and the search wasn't too helpful.

My dog, Bob, was really getting the hang of house training and was doing very good. Now he has pretty much quit doing the routine! He was sittin on the bed a week ago and just urinated laying down. I thought maybe since he's young he just fell asleep and woke up..... or something. Thought it was a freak occurance. But last night he was laying on the floor wide awake and did it again! :confused:

I was talking to my co-workers and they said he might have kidney stones. when he lays down the stones roll back and he can relieve himself easier that way. I said "he can pee standing up just fine outside."

Anybody have any ideas?

jawert1
September 5th, 2006, 10:37 AM
My guess is that if this is happening while he's laying down, then he's got an infection going that's keeping him from realizing. You need to take him to the vet ASAP for treatment. Also, have them check urinary acidity/baseness as well as for crystals while you're there. Really simple and they can do that the same time they check his urine for bacteria. Please keep us posted on what the vet says :pawprint:

Soonerd2
September 5th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I've made him an appointment for Friday. Thats the soonest the vet had available. Any idea on the cost of that treatment. Price is not a major concern he's going to be fixed up regardless just curious. Sounded like you may know.:D

jawert1
September 5th, 2006, 11:11 AM
The last time my Pointer had to have urine cultures done, it ran me about 150.00, but I also had them do a thorough exam on him as well (turns out he has different issues).

Corrie
September 5th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Soonerd2, just my opinion...but if there is another vet in your area that could see him sooner, I would investigate that.
If it is an infection...it could be painful! Can you imagine having a bladder infection and going through days of being unconfortable.

Prin
September 5th, 2006, 04:18 PM
The price depends on where you live too. Some areas are so expensive compared to others.:shrug: