Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much attention do you get when you take your dogs out?

MyBirdIsEvil
September 5th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I think walking my dogs is a really good way to meet people, but sometimes we get WAY too much attention. Walnut looks really unique, and Royce is a Collie which isn't too common around here, plus he's big and fluffy, so I always get noticed, especially if I'm walking them together.
There's always tons of little kids running up to the dogs going "OMG! LASSIE!!!", or "Mommy! I wanna pet the doggies!" or some such. Recently we had a little girl come up and actually HUG our dogs :rolleyes: . My dogs like that kind of attention, and they grew up with small children, but I'm not sure every other dog would appreciate a little kid hanging off of it's neck.
Saturday I had a kid come up to pet my dogs, then ask if he could walk my dog around the park, *blink*, um NO! Today a little kid practically hung himself out of his parents car window pointing and yelling "DOGGIESSSS!!!!", much to his parents dismay. Sometimes I have people come up to me asking how I trained my dogs to walk together next to me without pulling.

Most of it isn't really negative attention (not on purpose), but sometimes people do stuff like bark at the dogs trying to get them to bark back, or they make loud noises trying to scare the dogs, I guess 'cause they figure I'm little and have 2 big dogs and it'd be funny to make them drag me around. I think they're disappointed when my dogs just look for a second then keep walking.
I've even had people whistle and yell trying to get them to come over.

That's just a few of the things that happen when I'm out walking my dogs.
So how much attention do you guys get, and what kind of experiences have you had?

Prin
September 5th, 2006, 12:46 AM
All of those! lol Plus a few "Is the big one the little one's mommy?" and "Are you going to breed them?"

Boo had the little girl hug around the neck already. He's also good with kids though. VERY patient with them. :love:

When people walk by they always comment on Jemma's eyes. One person ran up to Jemma's previous owner screaming that Jemma was the devil..:shrug:

I've also had a few dog haters try to hit my dogs or scream at me for being in the same world as them.:shrug:

But the attention is more of an "at a distance" attention compared to when I walked that tiny dog I was sitting. People tend to be more wary of bigger dogs (believe it or not!) compared to the little ones. :rolleyes:

greaterdane
September 5th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Well I own great danes so a 1 hour walk often turns into a 3 hour talk fest. No matter where you go and no matter what time of day it is, you get stopped. For example...2am walking both my boys...ended up running into 3 sets of people who wanted to talk.

People want to pet them, they want to ask question after question after question. Can I ride him, how much does he eat, is he a tiger, where did you get him, how much was he, what is he, where is your saddle....I could write a book.

I do appreciate people taking the time to ask and be educated, but there are some people that you would like to kick in the knee and keep walking lol. I guess it just goes along with the breed. Own a great dane, gain the gift of gab lol.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 5th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Ok, poll's up now, I was slow, lol.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 5th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I've also had a few dog haters try to hit my dogs or scream at me for being in the same world as them.

Someone tries to hit my dogs and they're not gonna be happy with the results. I've yet to have anyone go that far though luckily.

I do appreciate people taking the time to ask and be educated, but there are some people that you would like to kick in the knee and keep walking lol. I guess it just goes along with the breed. Own a great dane, gain the gift of gab lol.

I think it's like that with any dog that's not all that common. Collies aren't very common around here and I constantly have people coming up and asking about mine.

Ok, about the oddest thing anyone has said to me, happened today:

Some guy comes up and goes "Ok, one of them is a purebred and one is a mutt", and I said "yup". He then went on to say "The black and white one is a cattle dog and the other is a mixed breed". That's the only time I've had anyone mistake my collie for a mutt, lol. I said "No, the black and white one is a mutt, the other one is a collie". He actually stood there arguing with me that "No...she's a cattle dog, I can tell". Um...yeah, ok, :rolleyes: . I said I had to go and kept walking. He wouldn't take no for an answer, it was a bit creepy.

Prin
September 5th, 2006, 01:02 AM
lol polls are hard to make- especially since you have to remember all the keys for the symbols. :D I voted! :)

MyBirdIsEvil
September 5th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I c&p'd all the symbols onto notepad for next time, that should make it a bit easier, lol.

glasslass
September 5th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Den-Den and Corky look very striking walking together. Salt & Pepper. They always think Corky is Den-Den's puppy.

jawert1
September 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM
We walk past a really nice golf course that borders my apt. complex, so I get a lot of golfers wanting to know all about Simon, and he obliges everyone by doing his Pointer thing :) Funny tho, because Peaches is the far more outgoing and friendly of the 2, so she doesn't quite get why nobody wants to play with her first.

technodoll
September 5th, 2006, 11:42 AM
well, as you might have guessed... two akitas walking down the city street isn't something most people just let pass by without at least a stare, a gape, a smile, a comment, a pet, a hug, etc... it gets soooo annoying to be constantly stopped, sometimes it's a mob scene with people 3 feet deep in a circle around us. give me a break! :frustrated: and the dogs (mostly dakotah) just sucks it up, he thinks he's the star of the circus, so of course that just draws MORE attention.

i have never, ever heard anyone say a single "bad thing" about my doggies... 9/10 people who see them break out into these big goofy smiles, dunno why? some of the more common comments we get (mostly about dakotah, he stands out more):

-wow look at those bears!
-that is the most beautiful dog i've ever seen in my whole life!
-i've never seen such a huge dog, look at the size of his head!
-how much did they cost?
-is he a wolf/ husky/ st-bernard/ malamute/ chow/ pit mix?
-how much do they eat?
-is he (dakotah) her (maika's) father?
-will you breed them?
-where can i get one?
-do they bite? (said as the person is reaching out to pet them on the head)!
-you must live in a big house!
-i didn't know akitas grew that big!

etc, etc... cars will often stop in mid-traffic, brake at a green light, etc so the people can stick their heads out the window and gasp and throw comments, one was particularly salty "man that's the most (effing) amazing akita i've ever seen"! LOL

anyways. it's a freak-show but i love my kids for who they are, not what they look like, although that's pretty nice too :D

Angies Man
September 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Angie has two things going for her, she's a standard poodle (the world's fanciest dang dog) & and she's a 5 month old puppy. For dog people, she's irresistable and at this point in her life, I think I want to encourage it. Important for her socialization that she's not afraid of strangers who want to come up and feel her coat (very soft curly hair.) She tends to be fairly timid and will back away if someone approaches too quickly, tho. But definitely not a fear (or other) biter.

Golden Girls
September 5th, 2006, 11:57 AM
My golden's get alot of attention as well. I'm not sure though who gobbles it up more, me or them :p I never mind stopping if someone wants to pet them etc ... they absorb attention, and I like it too.

I get the usual wow their huge, how much does it cost to feed them. Alot of polar bear remarks. This one comment I usually hold my breath: For some reason everyone thinks Misti is the male :frustrated: and I'm breeding them. Mostly I just respond with nah I have a full time job :D

The best (and I've said this b4) children always always ask if their twins which I find so adorable but you'd be surprised how many adults ask that same question. The kids I always talk to but the others I just say yep twins :o

Rick C
September 5th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Abby & Keeper get lots of smiles and comments . . . . . since they've usually been swimming in a river or lake along the way and might be fairly mucky, they don't have people falling over themselves for physical contact though . . . . in the winter, business picks up a bit because they're less likely to be dirty . . . . but then, in the winter, we see fewer people on the mountain trails we frequent.

On Prairie Creek Trail in K-Country last year . . . . the trail is straight, its the mountain and the trees which are tilted . . . . like The Jokers Lair on Batman.

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1100452_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Rottielover
September 5th, 2006, 12:15 PM
In quebec no one talks to me other than, OMG did he hurt your daughter look. But in ONTARIO everyone stops me, and says he is gorgeous, and so well behaved, where did I get him. I like ONT better

joeysmama
September 5th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Cooper's really a cute little dog. (If I do say so myself;) ) and we get a lot of attention which he just loves. He thinks he was put on this earth as a doggie ambassador. And he's good at it too. We've been asked to bring him places.

And last week when our car broke down getting home from Massachusetts my cousin came over to walk him for me. She told me that she almost brought him home with her for the rest of the day because her girls were begging to bring him for a visit.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM
do they bite? (said as the person is reaching out to pet them on the head)!

I love that, people do that with me too. I always think "Well, if so, you'll find out pretty quick"

cars will often stop in mid-traffic, brake at a green light, etc so the people can stick their heads out the window and gasp and throw comments

That freaks me out sometimes. I had a guy stop next to me one day and stare for a few seconds and I was thinking "Oh great, someone is gonna start something", but then he just said "Those are some beautiful dogs!."

Funny tho, because Peaches is the far more outgoing and friendly of the 2, so she doesn't quite get why nobody wants to play with her first.

Everyone pets Royce first 'cause he's a collie and he's fluffy and cute, and then Walnut starts whining like "What about me!?" and makes everyone pet her. She's a spoiled brat 'cause she'll sit down in front of someone and look up at them all sad and hurt with her ears down, and start whining, and they're like "Awww! it's ok!", while I'm thinking "You have NO idea what she just did", lol.

In quebec no one talks to me other than, OMG did he hurt your daughter look.

:confused: Do people in quebec not like rottweilers? I guess it's an American thing but a lot of people here, no matter what city, LOVE big dogs, so when I used to walk my rottweiler I had lots of people come up and pet her. They always asked if she was friendly first before they came up to me, but no one looked at me nasty or anything.
Ok, I take that back, I was standing in my yard with her one day and some guy was walking past with his labrador. Well she LOVED other dogs and started wiggling everywhere and whining 'cause she wanted to play (obviously in a friendly manner) and the guy with the lab goes "Hey! You better control your dog! If she comes up to my dog he'll kill her!", and I was thinkin "Yeah buddy...Sure", lol. The most she would have done anyway was run up to the dog and lay down on her back.

K9Friend
September 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I get stares all the time with my german shepherd. I get the usual -
1) is HE mean? (it's a SHE)
2) Look at the wolf! (huh!?)
3) Is that a police dog? ( that one makes me smile every time)
4) Does your dog speak French? (another smile) ;)

Kids run up to me all the time (surprisingly) and ask if they can pet her. I don't mind - my dog is use to it (we started walking and doing this really young). I usually tell young children where to pet and how to stand next to a dog and then of course, I get the people who are totally terrified and cross the street when they see us coming! :sad:

Rick C
September 5th, 2006, 05:09 PM
You know, sitting here at the end of a stress-filled day (good stress though), it just hit me what I have to say in this thread . . . .

The stupidest thing people ask me on our walks is "why do you have your dogs on leashes?"

I almost have no answer for it.

Do I say: "Because they live on an acreage and kill things the size of your small mutt for entertainment every day and therefore they're on a leash for the protection of your dog which is currently running through their feet without a leash." Should I say that?

Do I say: "Because its the law even though your dog isn't on a leash."

Do I say: "Because Abby and Keeper spend most of their time without leashes running back and forth over their four acres and on the occasions when they're off their property they tend to exercise the same degree of freedom if they weren't leashed."

Do I say: "Because they'll tree any cat they see and kill any of the cute chipmunks, squirrels and gophers they find, running blindly through traffic to get to them."

Do I say: "Because dogs wandering in the bush off the paths bring bears back with them, which is why there are no off-leash areas in national or provincial parks!!!"

Geez Louise, quit asking me that stupid question!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Frenchy
September 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM
When you walk 2-3 goldens at the same time yes,I do get attention.I have to warn small kids not to come up running.At one point,I was almost offended if people didn't pay attention to them :o but since I move,I don't meet anybody on our walks except for the neighbors who I think are afraid of them! When in traffic,I get lots of stares too,with the 3 in the back...

erykah1310
September 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Most of our walks are peaceful, never really see anyone.
When I do take them to town, Puppy generates the most chatting. "He looks like a bear", I also get the "Does he bite?" While the hand is on his head.

Meiko, no one really bothers me about him. Not a Border Collie friendly neighbourhood.

Kita, well peeps cross the street, and ALWAYS mutter about 'pitbulls' something or other, she scares most people cause she is brindle. It seems to have an effect on her, she is such a people dog

normag
September 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I have lots of people ask me what breed they are, shiba inu's are not very well known here. I always get he looks like a fox or she looks like a little white wolf, one guy when murphy was younger and did'nt have his thick coat thought he was a dingo, I could'nt see that myself.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM
one guy when murphy was younger and did'nt have his thick coat thought he was a dingo,

I've been told walnut looks like a dingo or wild dog, cattle dog, coyote, pitbull (have no idea how), catahoula leopard dog, and several other breeds that don't even resemble each other. There's a few that I could see her looking like, but some of them just leaves me shaking my head going "Are we looking at the same dog?"

papillonmama
September 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I would be the next to last one, if I wasn't so nice.:D

I keep it short and simple,

"nice dog"

"yep, she's a cute dog"

"yup, she's cute, but all she eats is shoes" J/K

of course we get the what breed is she? someone once argued that she wasn't a papillon and that she was a chi. I was like, huh???

kids don't swarm her, she looks huggable, but that's just a front. She only likes HER kids.
in fact when she sees lots of kids she usually hides in the stroller or wagon.

Writing4Fun
September 6th, 2006, 08:40 PM
2) Look at the wolf! (huh!?) Yes! Thank you! I am NOT alone! :yell: :frustrated: I swear, if one more person tells me that my dog looks like a frickin' coyote, I'm going to ... well ... I don't know what I'm going to do, really. Any suggestions? :confused:

Writing4Fun
September 6th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Well I own great danes so a 1 hour walk often turns into a 3 hour talk fest. No matter where you go and no matter what time of day it is, you get stopped.
Well, I can guarantee you that, if you ever ran into my husband, you would be detained for several hours. :D He absolutely adores Great Danes, specifically Harlequins (although he'd take any colour, if he could).

MyBirdIsEvil
September 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I have to admit my b/f is one of those people that will go up to people with dogs he likes and ask all kinds of questions.
If he sees a basset hound good luck getting him to leave you alone.
If I see a basset I try to distract him from seeing it for my sake and the owner, lol.

Any bloodhound owners should just start running in the other direction, he's probably going to kidnap them and their dog.

Smiley14
September 6th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Oh, I get stopped every few feet it seems! Our typical conversation goes like this:
"Is that a dalmation?"
"No, he's a German shorthaired pointer."
"Oh." (Said in a disappointed tone). "He looks like a dalmation." Pause.
"What was he again?"

LOL! I didn't think a GSP was that rare around here or that dalmations would be so coverted, but apparently so! After they get over the disappointment that he's not a dalmation, then they usually marvel over how calm and alert he is. Petey LOVES people, so he just eats it all up. I can't go anywhere without getting a lot of comments. I love it though. :) Except for the times when I'm in a big hurry, lol.
But I totally agree, it is a great way to meet people! I have a lot of people offer to trade dogs with me too, like a well trained dog is a rarity also. :rolleyes:

MyBirdIsEvil
September 6th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I always loved GSP's and I'm not sure how they can be mistaken for a dalmation, lol.
I guess some people don't realize spots do not = dalmation.

Melei'sMom
September 7th, 2006, 12:02 AM
OOOHHHH....SO CUTE!

I hear that all the time, and if it stopped there or even with them asking to pet her, it would be fine.

but I can finish that sentence I swear, if someone else comes up and... and tries to pick up my dog!:frustrated:

What is it with people thinking that just because she is small and fuzzy, she wants to be manhandled by every shmoe we meet or happens to come into our shop?:mad:

She hates being picked up by strangers and will growl if they get to close with both hands extended. I know it isn't ok for her to be aggresive, but this is probably for her own protection.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 7th, 2006, 12:14 AM
She hates being picked up by strangers and will growl if they get to close with both hands extended. I know it isn't ok for her to be aggresive, but this is probably for her own protection.

I would probably make sure people didn't pick her up :( .
No one goes around trying to pick up large dogs, so I dunno why they think it's ok to pick up little dogs. Apparently people don't realize that just because they're cute doesn't mean you should tease them or disrespect them by picking them up.
Maybe that's why normally aggressive little dogs aren't aggressive with me, I treat them like any other dog, lol.

Ok maybe I lied about the not picking up big dogs thing...

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6821/ohnofp9.jpg

But she thinks she's a lapdog and he wouldn't do it if she didn't like it.

Though, he thinks that because he's almost 6'3 he should pick everything up, including me :frustrated: .

Melei'sMom
September 7th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I would probably make sure people didn't pick her up :(

I try! I really do:mad:

Melei comes to work with me and she loves to meet the people who come in, but some think it is ok to lift her up and I am not always right there to prevent it. We are working on her staying right beside me all the time instead of roaming the shop. The only problem is that some times she wants to see Daddy, and he is in the back while I am up front and while she is back there she meets the guys who come inthe back door. I have noticed that it is usually men who try to pick her up right away...what's up with that?:frustrated:

MyBirdIsEvil
September 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I have noticed that it is usually men who try to pick her up right away...what's up with that?

I don't know, maybe they're like my b/f.
"Can I lift that? Yes I can! That's what I shall do!"

BMDLuver
September 7th, 2006, 06:22 PM
:confused: Do people in quebec not like rottweilers?
I'll address this. Everytime we get a rottie in... we have a ton of applications, so I don't think it's fair to say because you live in a certain area that all of Quebec doesn't like Rottwielers. Heck, the Hudson Fire Department has a rottie that I helped get a home as their mascot. He's a great ambassador for the breed. Just want to clarify that as generalizations are already rampant about Quebec so let's not add to them. :thumbs up

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I agree. The rotties I know get tons of positive attention wherever they go.

Byrd
September 7th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I usually get "Oh what a beautiful border collie, I've never seen one that colour before. What happened to his tail?"

So then I have to go through the explaining that SHE is an aussie and HER tail is supposed to be like that.

meb999
September 9th, 2006, 04:50 PM
people are scared of Buster :( , alot of people ask wether he's a pitbull (even though he looks absolutely NOTHING like a pitbull)

It makes me sad when I see kids running up to me (and Buster starts waggin' his tail like crazy.....he loves kids) and I hear their parents scream in the background 'Don't go near the dog! That's a VICIOUS dog!!' and then the kids stop in their tracks and run the other way. :sad: Poor Buster...

I guess it means I can walk in peace though....but I'd much rather if people weren't so scared of him, he's such a big suck-up.....

erykah1310
September 9th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Its sad isnt it?? Kita is the same, she LOVES kids.

I dont agree with the kids running up to any dog, but the parents shouldnt be putting it in their childrens head that all dogs that look a certain way are "vicious" dogs.:frustrated:
But then again I suppose the media is driving people to believe this:mad:

OntarioGreys
September 9th, 2006, 11:42 PM
A lot, Sunny pretty much is wagging his tail wanting to approach every one, and most people are fascinated by Maya's golden eyes, which is quite striking against her black coat

Question I get asked

Are they greyhounds or whippets? Greyhound, whippets are smaller
Do they race? Used to
Are you going to race them? No they are retired from racing
Are you going to breed them? No they are fised already
Did you rescue them? No I adopted them, they were never in danger, they were turned over by their racing owners for adoption.
Why are they so skinny? because that is the way they are built,
Don't you think the bigger one looks better? I would have preferred he looked skinny, his spleen is severely enlarge which is why he looks that way
Can I pet the puppy? Sure but she is my oldest of the 3 dogs and 8 1/2
Then there are questions about racing and exercise/energy

Furbaby Momma
September 10th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I receive a lot of attention when I am with my furkid's especially when I am driving because each of my Retriever's are sitting by a window and one is looking out the sunroof, I bring my Retriever's everywhere I go, I am so proud of them. :pawprint:

ChancesMom
September 11th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Surprisingly I have only ever received one nasty comment from a person regarding Chance, and that was in a pet store after I first adopted him when an older gentleman was warning his wife that that is a pit bull.

I think it might be because of Chance's handsome looks... ;)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 11th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Joey gets a fair bit at the school from all the kids wanting to pet him - and people ask if he is a springer spaniel on our walks all the time. Only one person got it right so far and ask if hes an English Cocker. Our neighbour asked if he was a poodle :eek: :D

From other dog walkers - we usually get the hello, and if the dogs start growling and barking at each other - I usually get a I know what your going through sympathetic hello :( :D

doggy lover
September 11th, 2006, 06:38 PM
No one notices me:yell: , but Tucker has alot of fans:D Don't hate because I'm beautiful.

jessi76
September 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I'm coming into this one a bit late, but I get stopped at least once everytime we're out with... "what kind of dog is he?" to which I reply a basenji mix... which turns into "a what? a ba...what?"

other than that, we get ooooh's and ahhhh's for Tucker's big ears.

Rottielover
September 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Ok sorry, I should rephrase my statement, what I meant was in Ontario people seem to be more positive about them. ( what I have seen), and have been told by people in Ontario. The welcome harley recieves there, is so much nicer than where I live. Of course rotties are just loveable dogs....I own a big mush poy...aka goober

rainbow
September 12th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Well, I decided to finally add my 2 cents here. I used to get alot of attention until I started using the headcollars. Now, most people, just stare with a look in their eyes that says "those dogs must be vicious if they have to wear muzzles." :rolleyes:

Hunter's_owner
September 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
The same thing happened to me... Since I started using it, I have actually had people come up to me and say "That is horrible that you have to muzzle your dog"!!! I just like the convenience of it, and Hunter is much better behaved with it on. But trying to explain to people that it isn't a muzzle don't work at all, they just give you a weird look :rolleyes: .

rainbow
September 12th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Hee hee...yeah, I get the same response here too. I've even tried to explain to some people twice. :rolleyes:

Sariss
September 13th, 2006, 08:41 AM
With the Chihuahuas, quite a lot. People around here don't seem to know that long haired Chihuahuas exist, so they ALWAYS stop to pet her/ask what she is.

With Daisy the Aussie, people are constantly stopping me to ask if she is blind, or deaf. And other people are afraid of her for some reason.

Slams_58
September 13th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I have actually had someone stop walking towards me thinking my Samoyed was a Polar Bear. Now my Shiba looks foxy so I get tons of stares. I get stopped all the time because of Chinook. Most people want to know how she stays so white. I tell them she's retired and doesn't stay any longer than she chooses. Then I get asked if Macy ( my Shiba) is Chinook's baby. I just shake my head... They're 2 totally different looking animals with the exception of the curly tail! :rolleyes: