Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

crusty dry leg/feet skin on s-hihzu dog.

simbasmom
September 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I am taking this dog in wed,aft to vet, this dry scaley skin started 7 months ago under his arm then moved to legs and feet, he`s on special hypo dog food hard and soft /4 weeks now. no treats lots of water.he`s 9 to 10 years. old does this sound familiar to anyone.

rainbow
September 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Did you read this post:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=29877

simbasmom
September 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM
:confused: I have read all the post and thankyou for them.,I have shamus on med-cal hypo.this is duck/pheasent/rice flour /brown rice. duck meal. flax and vit e and all the other vits.in there./ it has stopped the yeast infection right away for the ears this is a good thing. now with the dry skin that happened way before a year ago before this new diet.hes only been on 3-4 weeks.I found that polysporin with vit -e cream from the tube really works with booties on and for the skin ich around belly and back tea tree with aloe in a spray hot spot bottle works, well we`ll see what the vet says on wed.:-):fingerscr

bethaliz
September 5th, 2006, 11:34 AM
We have 9 Shih Tzu's in our family and I work with a breeder learning how to show and breed, so I've seen this a few times.

A couple of them Roxie (my dog) and Simone (her sister at her breeders) have food alleriges to wheat and chicken that cause them to get very itchy and can can cause them to be very flaky and dried out. This has been made better by changing their food.

There are a couple that I have see that have more what your taking about and it almost seems that they have dandruff. Most cases it's because they haven't been bathed or haven't been bathed properly. A shih tzu in full or long coat needsto be bathed at least once a week. With a shorter coat you can go maybe 3 weeks. If your dog is bathed frequently it can be that the shampoo is not throughly rinsed out.

Finaly the only time that I have not seen diet and grooming change this flaky skin is in a little dog named Stevie. She is not from my breeders line. A lady my breeder knows form the US got ill and gave the pup to my breeder, because she was too perfect not to show. with the agreement that when the original breeder was better she would get a puppy back out of Stevie. Unfotunatley the breeder died. However the little dog she gave to my breeder has a condition where she is allergic to her self (her own dandur) This can only be confirmed by a vet.

I hope the infor helps

simbasmom
September 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Thankyou for your advise we have tried everything you said, he goes to groomers every 5-6 weeks for anal glands nails and light hypo shampoo bath they also have shihtzu dogs. I don1t know what ever happened to him he started 7 months ago just suddenly under left arm a black mass of crusty patch about 4" by5" then slowly subsided with the help from polysporin . then it went away we thought he picked up some ivy from the forest so we stopped taking him into any brush. well now we caught him licking till bleeding legs and paws so we still have to bathe this dog at least every 2 weeks with hypo lite shampoo cuz he smellsbad. I coudn`t get the vet here she was on holliday and to0morrow we will see her. he gets no chicken or anything else other than med cal hypo alergy hard and soft food.no treats no thing but the vet food. it has stopped ear infection because she said he had yeast infection about 3 mths ago. well we`ll see to-morrow. thanks.:fingerscr