Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Garbage cans...

dtbmnec
September 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM
My two kitties are nice and big and grownish....they're also tipping over my garbage can (the big one)...*sigh*

It's only started happening since I put them on the feeding schedule....they're hungry between meals....I can't feed them between meals because I'm going to be away at school starting Thursday....no one is going to be home to feed them every two hours like they want....

I feed them every few (5 or so) hours which is fine....stick the food down for 20 minutes and they start meowing at me for ten minutes! So of course they don't eat when they should because they're too busy trying to get out of the rooms! They know the routine but they still refuse to eat! Its not even that they don't like the food they all want to be fed in the kitchen but I can't keep the food seperate in the kitchen (not enough space for three cats to all be fed there and I don't have enough arms to toss them away from the other food dishes)!

When I start getting into school its going to be a 7am feeding...another feeding at about noon/1ish....and a third feeding probably around 7 or 8pm....does that sound reasonable?

So anyone got any tips on how make sure the garbage doesn't tip over? They're going to have learn to deal with the food setup and just get used to it.

Megan

rainbow
September 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Can't you put your garbage can somewhere they can't have access to it. :confused:

dtbmnec
September 4th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Can't you put your garbage can somewhere they can't have access to it. :confused:

Hrm....not really....its the kitchen garbage can....too tall for any of the cupboards....closest closet is the one for the coats....and the other closet has shelves....the kitchen garbage is sort of the catch all for the other garbages (the small ones get tossed in the big one and the big one is emptied and then tossed out)....

Megan

phoenix
September 4th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Trust me. If they want in, they'll get in.

I'd take it outside with me on the way out the door. Put it in the garage/porch/driveway for the day while you're gone.

Angies Man
September 4th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Why are your cats on feeding schedules? Why not just leave a bowl of dry kibble on the floor with their bowl of water? If they're only 4 or 5 months old, they're still growing, and probably are hungry all the time because they need more food.:(

MyBirdIsEvil
September 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM
If you can't train them to leave the garbage alone or you can't put the garbage can where they can't get to it, I would get a garbage can with a locking lid.
I used to have a garbage can with a locking lid when my dog was little. I just used it to keep her from knocking it over while I was training her to stay away from it though. Every time she sniffed it I made her leave it alone. Now I have a normal garbage can, but she knows to stay out of it.
You'll need to train your cats to stay away from the garbage can if you ever want to have a normal one again, but one with a locking lid will help in the meantime.

Why are your cats on feeding schedules? Why not just leave a bowl of dry kibble on the floor with their bowl of water? If they're only 4 or 5 months old, they're still growing, and probably are hungry all the time because they need more food.

That's true. Personally I would be leaving food out for them until they're a bit older, because they may only be able to consume a certain amount in one sitting and it may not be enough. My parents always left hard food out for our kittens and had feeding schedules just for the canned food. That way they'd only eat a little bit of hard food when they were hungry, but the majority of the food they ate was canned, at their normal feeding times.
Either way you're going to have to train them to stay away from the garbage can, just as you would any other animal, or get one with a locking lid, because they're always gonna smell something in there that they think is yummy. Kittens will go after something that smells good to them whether they're actually hungry or not.
I used to have a kitten that would suddenly pounce on peoples plates and try to drag things like whole steaks away. He didn't get very far but he was persistant : \. Obviously there's no way he could consume a whole steak, but because it smelled good he was going to try. Eventually we broke him of it, but kittens take lots of patience.

Prin
September 4th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I used to put mine up on the counter.. Or you could bungee it to the wall somehow or bungee it shut.:o

MyBirdIsEvil
September 4th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Or you could bungee it to the wall somehow or bungee it shut

That's a good idea too.
No matter what though, they're going to try to get in it until they're trained not to, because it has nothing to with whether they're hungry or not. If it smells good they're going after it.

glasslass
September 5th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I used to have a tall, lidded wicker basket that I hid the garbage bag inside. Den-Den3 and Puss-Puss used to pull it over until I put a couple bricks in the bottom to weight it down. No more problems after that.

dtbmnec
September 5th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Trust me. If they want in, they'll get in.

I'd take it outside with me on the way out the door. Put it in the garage/porch/driveway for the day while you're gone.

No porch/driveway/garage....hehe :) We have to keep all our garbage in the unit until taking it outside...

Hmmm I'll go out looking for bricks or something to put in the bottom....my mom suggested the same thing....and the bungee stuff too...

As to the feeding schedule...Right now we have a temporary visitor...the temporary visitor going by the name of Dart seems to have taken a liking to the boys's dry food (which is the Nutro) instead of his own dry food (Royal Canin) and the boys want to eat his food instead of their own (dominance issue probably). I can't have that happening because there's only a certain amount of the Royal Canin left and Becky's still working on getting a job (in fact she's got a "we're just checking to make sure you're not an axe murderer first" interview in Burlington today :)). *random side note* He's going into my vet today because he's having some problems going to the bathroom...:( I hope its not going to cost more than 100 or I won't be able to help him. I don't really want to go into the 275 left on the account for Pawz's neuter but it looks like his neuter is gonna take a while so I suppose whatever happens happens.

On top of that I'm trying to keep Pawz away from the dry to see if his diarrhea clears up (someone on here told me 8 weeks for the greeblies to go away) so I'm trying him on canned only for a bit. Of course all three of the little buggers have diarrhea now so it could be anything, but I'm most worried about Pawz since he's had it the longest.

Added to which someone on here mentioned that I shouldn't be free feeding on the dry because I don't know how much each cat is eating....I am once again confused....

Megan

MyBirdIsEvil
September 5th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Added to which someone on here mentioned that I shouldn't be free feeding on the dry because I don't know how much each cat is eating....I am once again confused....

If you're feeding them canned at certain times each day, normally cats (especially that age), will just munch on a little bit when they get a bit hungry, because the majority of their food intake is coming from the canned food, and most cats (though not all) like canned food better, so they'll eat most of their canned food and not care much about the dry. Problems usually arise when cats don't know when they're going to get their meals, so they'll gorge themselves on dry food, but if you feed them canned food consistantly every day they'd likely rather eat their canned than mostly dry.
If all you're feeding them is dry, and you're letting them free feed, no you don't know how much they're eating, but as long as you put out enough so that you know each cat is not starving or anything, there shouldn't be problems since there's 3 of them, they're on an ok food, they can play together and burn calories and there's little chance of them becoming obese.

Some people don't like free feeding because one cat will eat most of the food and become fat and the others will not get enough, OR they'll put out enough for all 3 and then all 3 will become fat. With kittens that's unlikely, and it's more unlikely if they're on good food and very active. All 3 of my cats free feed and none of them are fat and none are underweight, so you just have to go by how your own cats are. If your cats stay at the same weight or don't get fat or lose weight, then there's no reason to worry about it. If they start gaining too much or losing too much weight, all you have to do is switch them back to scheduled feeding times, it's not that hard.

Angies Man
September 6th, 2006, 01:54 AM
On your way out the door, lock the trash in the bathroom.

dtbmnec
September 6th, 2006, 08:40 AM
On your way out the door, lock the trash in the bathroom.

O.o

It's so...simple.

Definately follows the KISS rule...(keep it simple stupid)...I like it...now to get the boyfriend to remember to do this....

Megan