Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why won't they stop sniffing Gomez??

gomez
September 4th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Wherever we go Gomez gets sniffed by other dogs, mostly entire dogs - they approach and start sniffing his "undercarriage" first, before anything else, and then they won't stop, they won't even play -

Until their owner pulls them away, or until Gomez (or we) let them know it's enough, they are under there to the point that some of them lift him up off his paws! Sometimes there are 2 or 3...

They don't hurt him at all, but it's weird, no?

This happens mostly with entire dogs (which is the norm over here)

What does he smell like to them?

(edited to add: Gomez was neutered at 9 months...)

Puppyluv
September 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Wherever we go Gomez gets sniffed by other dogs, mostly entire dogs

:eek: Do partial dogs sniff him too?? (Headless.... legless... head only...):evil:
LOL, sorry....
Maybe he just smells really good?

OntarioGreys
September 4th, 2006, 12:04 PM
It is the way dogs greet and introduce themselves to each other

gomez
September 4th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Puppyluv, you kill me....! :rolleyes:

Ontariogreys, I think I would know a meet and greet sniff when I see one, and this this goes well beyond any normal meet and greet, I don't see other dogs doing it so obsesively to each other...

I mean, sometimes 4-5 will gang up and sniff at the same time and lift him off the ground! Even dogs he knows and sees every day... big dogs, small dogs...

I don't get it...

Prin
September 4th, 2006, 08:13 PM
He must still smell sexy.:confused:

rainbow
September 4th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah, like some "men" just smell sexy. :cloud9:

jawert1
September 4th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I know this is a "way out there in left field" thought, but could Gomez be a cryptorchid? Rare, I know, but maybe that's got something to do with this "intense" fascination other dogs have with him. Could you try rubbing him down with something doggy friendly but differently scented prior to going out to see if they let him alone?

gomez
September 5th, 2006, 06:37 AM
jawert1, I just looked up cryptorchid:

A dog with both testicles that have not descended into the scrotum upon maturity

Our vet did not want to neuter him until they were both down, they kept checking before they even considered the surgery....

Maybe he does just smell "sexy" ! Who knows....