Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canine Cancer

laura sangster
February 6th, 2004, 12:35 PM
My 5 yr old Springer Spaniel has swollen lymph nodes and has been drinking lots of water and therefore urinating a lot. He has also had a dry cough recently.
He is prone to sores on his underside and ears and suffers from epilepsy.
My vet took some blood and urine samples, which came back with high calcium and high white cells as well as a high temperature.

Could this be anything other than cancer?
Does chemotherapy work well is dogs or just prolong the agony?

wAggie
February 6th, 2004, 09:08 PM
what did the vet say?

laura sangster
February 9th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Vet said don't waste time on more tests - start chemo.
Chemo could give him another 9 - 18 months. Disease will come back.

wAggie
February 9th, 2004, 10:44 PM
wow... I'm sorry to hear that.

if there's other means of curing this cancer... get another vet's opinion...

Good Luck!

laura sangster
February 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Thinking of trying the chemo - despite the cost. This may be just delaying the obvious, but I can't not do it. He is only 5 years old.

Thanks for your support.

Luba
February 10th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Can I make a suggestion please.....through experience of my own dog with cancer...

I suggest before you start any treatments that you have an ultrasound done as well as chest and abdominal xrays. They will shave your dogs tummy and do a complete ultrasound. They'll be able to tell where any tumours are, the size and if they can take a biopsy.

TRUST me! If they see your dog is riddled with tumours that are affecting major organs, you'll be able to make a worthy decision at that point. It would not be fair to have your dog go through horrible treatment if you know what the outcome could be.

Please invest in the xrays and ultrasounds.
PLEASE!

Big hugs

1john44
February 10th, 2004, 12:55 PM
As awful as it is to think about "doing nothing" sometimes that is the best. If there is no hope of the dog every really being healthy agian, and he will not have a good quality of life, then the best thing to do is make him as comfortable as can be, and when the time comes have him put to sleep. I had to do this to my grandfathers dog, and it was the hardest thing in the world. But there was so much wrong with her, that to fix one thing, wouldhave only caused her more pain, and she still had the other problems. I cried for days, but now, I sleep well knowing I didn't make her suffer because of my emotions!

laura sangster
February 10th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Luba and John,

Thank you for the advice. I know in my heart the chemo will only delay the disease. The vet has told me that it will come back faster and more aggressively. He also said dogs do well with chemo. Not really offering much advice - only stating the facts. Perhaps John is right. I need to think some more about everything.

Thank you.

Laura

1john44
February 10th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Good luck in your searching. I know that what ever way you choose it won't be easy, but I will be praying for you and your dog!