Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

i am sick to my stomach - warning: graphic description

technodoll
September 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM
i just got an email to sign a petition to help stop the horrors of the fur trade, and there was a video attached... i made the mistake of opening it up... i never got past 30 seconds my stomach literally heaved and i burst into tears, WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE, how can this be happening? i had no idea it was so inhumane, crual, brutal and oh god... i can't stop crying... i will have nightmares about those poor creatures being beaten to a pulp, stomped on, skulls crushed, skinned alive ... the look in their eyes as they lay bleeding on the dirty ground... i am sometimes ashamed to be a human :sad: :sad: i have truly lost my appetite for a long time and will NEVER EVER AGAIN buy ANYTHING with "fur"!!! :sad: :( :rip:

Maya
September 1st, 2006, 06:16 PM
That's horrible, I felt a bit sick just by your description.:( Lately i've been thinking about the fact that my shoes have leather and wonder how much I contribute to the suffering of animals. It's amazing people still buy fur with all the publicity showing how awful it is.

dtbmnec
September 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM
i just got an email to sign a petition to help stop the horrors of the fur trade, and there was a video attached... i made the mistake of opening it up... i never got past 30 seconds my stomach literally heaved and i burst into tears, WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE, how can this be happening? i had no idea it was so inhumane, crual, brutal and oh god... i can't stop crying... i will have nightmares about those poor creatures being beaten to a pulp, stomped on, skulls crushed, skinned alive ... the look in their eyes as they lay bleeding on the dirty ground... i am sometimes ashamed to be a human :sad: :sad: i have truly lost my appetite for a long time and will NEVER EVER AGAIN buy ANYTHING with "fur"!!! :sad: :( :rip:

I never open those not because I don't care but because they tend to be BS (ie. the emails are recorded for purposes other than what they state). :) I have a sheepskin coat but that's about all I have as far as "fur" goes. I also hadn't bought it but it was given to me by my mother.

Megan

rainbow
September 1st, 2006, 07:37 PM
I bet this was video-taped in China. :sad: :frustrated: :mad:

And the worst thing is there's nothing we can do about it except refuse to buy anything that's made in China.

technodoll
September 1st, 2006, 08:31 PM
it looked and sounded asian (by the people talking), recorded by a hand-cam, so nonchalently taping the whole brutal massacre like it was a reality-show for fun. nobody cared, nobody stepped in to protest and stop it. doesn't matter what the original purpose of the tape was for, the point it is happened and it needs to be pushed out there to wake people up... sure woke ME up today. i'm ashamed it took this to make me realise what goes on behind the fur trade... and the rest, OMG.... :sick:

Cathy1
September 1st, 2006, 08:46 PM
I received one like that a couple of weeks ago and it was in China. Yesterday I got one about signing a petition to stop the Philippines from selling dog meat.:( I didn't look at all of it because of graphic pictures.

technodoll
September 1st, 2006, 08:58 PM
i wonder.... does signing petition ever change anything? :confused:

Cathy1
September 1st, 2006, 09:07 PM
It probably won't do any good. They already put a ban on dog meat there but they are still doing it.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 1st, 2006, 09:33 PM
i wonder.... does signing petition ever change anything?

It depends on who you're addressing. If the petition is addressing a country that you don't live in, your signature is not going to have any legal effect and unlikely to have a moral one.
There is a CHANCE that sending a petition to a country's government will cause them to pay attention to the issue and decide it needs looking into, if the outcry is large enough, but that is extremely unlikely.
If the petition is addressed to the government of your own country, you'll have to check your laws to see what, if any, legal effect the petition will have, and chances are, it may have some effect, but don't expect much.
Example 1: If you're petitioning China to stop producing fur products, you'll likely have no result, since a country such as China could care less about some people from other countries signing a petition (or their country for that matter). A petition where all the signatures are from people that don't live in that country is unlikely to even be looked at anyway.

Example 2: If you're petitioning your own country to stop fur trade with China because the fur trade is cruel, there's a chance someone in your government will at least look at the petition and consider having a vote, etc.. (Though unlikely since it involves money).

Any petition is dependant on who reads its, whether they have any official power, and whether they care about public opinion.
The above refers to actual paper petitions, that have been signed by each individual.

As far as internet petitions, they're pretty useless.
See the snopes article on online petitions (http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.htm)
From snopes:

all bets are off when the question becomes more complex ("Let's solve the problem of poverty in the USA") or when acts taking place on foreign soil are the subject of the angst ("Let's end child rape in South Africa"). Difficult problems don't suddenly yield up simple solutions just because a great many fervently hope they would, nor do foreign governments feel impelled to change conditions in their countries just because folks in other lands are upset by them.

technodoll
September 1st, 2006, 09:46 PM
thank you for the information, i just learned a LOT!

so... online petitions are useless, and only the ones where you actually sign on paper have any weight? i did not know that... :(

MyBirdIsEvil
September 1st, 2006, 10:01 PM
I'm not saying don't sign, but if you really want to try and make a difference, the best way is to start your own REAL petition and get people to sign it.
Changing stuff takes work, unfortunately, lol.
If you start a paper petition, there's a chance someone in a position of power could say "Ok, someone has time invested in this. People really feel strongly about this issue, maybe if I do something I can get reelected", or someting similar.
Even if it fails you'll have gotten people interested in it and more people will be aware. Someone is more likely to pay attention to someone talking to them face to face about something they feel passionately about, than someone sending a chain e-mail or something to them. There's also the chance of meeting someone who can actually do something about the issue, while you or someone you've enlisted is out asking for signatures.
Email and online petitions get lots of "signatures", but there's no way to verify the names, and it doesn't show a huge demand for change. All it shows is that people will type their name on something if it's not taking up any of their time and it happens to touch them right at that moment.

rainbow
September 1st, 2006, 11:30 PM
I agree. Online petitions only purpose is to make you feel better by signing it. :frustrated:

I have said before that, here in Canada, our best chance of getting some of our animal cruelty laws changed is with the PM that we have now, who is an animal lover (one of the few things I like about him :D ). I am not good at starting things like this but, if anyone is willing to, I'm love to help out.

chico2
September 2nd, 2006, 08:20 AM
We have discussed the horrors going on in China several times..
Yes,the world is aware of what is going on:evil:
If I had any powers I would cancel any trade with China,cancel the Olympics they were so wrongfully "awarded",not only for the horrific cruelty to animals,but also their total disregard for human rights.
However,cheap labor,cheap products are flashing in front of our governments and big businesses eyes,why would they care about animals suffering:evil:
My son and his g/f unknowingly bought me these tiny kitten-ornaments,knowing I love cats,made in China,from real catfur.....please don't buy anything like it!!

chico2
September 2nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Ps..add to that any furlined jackets,fur on the hood of jackets,furlined gloves proven to be catfur from China,selling as"dyed rabbit-fur!"Don't believe it!!
Not that rabbits are not suffering,but some people might buy rabbitfur,but not catfur!

Golden Girls
September 4th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't say signing petitions will do nothing. 1st off usually the sponser of any petition is looking for ways to reduce the amount of suffering by spreading a message and will either education or at the very least bring awareness to their claim.

In this case who hasn't heard of China's shocking dog and cat fur trade. You don't need to open videos or look at photo's ... they have a long history of cruetly and violence toward all animals. If you have any questions you can always contact the sponser of that petiton with your concerns.

I would sign if I believe what their claiming. It doesn't make me feel good I just know that anyone taking the time out to try and help then I'd support them in any way that I can ... but the very list would be a signature.

I do think if you really want to do something besides signing a personal hand written letter is even better. You can write to the Chinese ambassador urging China to enact an animal welfare law: (pick a claim)

His Excellency Zhou Wenzhong
Ambassador of the People's Republic of China
Embassy of the People's Republic of China
2300 Connecticut Ave. N.W.
Washington, DC 20008
202-328-2574
202-328-2582 (fax)

Golden Girls
September 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Chico, out of curiosity ... did you ever speak to your son about this after? Of course I understand at the moment you wouldn't but obviously he needs to know so not to support their nasty consumer products

chico2
September 4th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Golden Girls,yes I did,they were both shocked and would never have bought me these had they known.
At the big Hamilton Market(on King Street)there is a Chinese woman selling these cat-ornaments of all sizes.
About a year ago,I questioned her what kind of fur it was,if it was catfur and she just quickly hushed me and said it was dyed rabbit,SURE IT WAS!!
It would take an incredible effort to dye rabbitfur to look like a Brown Tabby,or Orange tabby cat.
This happened before I even knew about the catfur trade and now when I know I am 150% sure those ornaments are made of catfur:evil:

Ronni52565
September 4th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Hopefully this will help some feel a little better. Loving an animal took decades for many people, cultures etc. Looking into history animals were to serve one or two purposes. To hunt to feed or to be eaten. My ex hubby (who is good friend ) and who is Chinese was a bit cold towards animals when he first came to the USA. After meeting me and my family who treated animals like we gave birth to them, learned to love them just as much :-)

I can understand a BIT on how others don't have the compassion like we who do have compassion towards animals. As another mentioned about human rights and treatment it is hard to really understand how why someone can do what they do unless we have lived like they have. I have heard some really horrible stories yet they have a good? no maybe justifiable point (to some of it). Poverty,Starvation etc. However,(mainly the very weathly) have those ridiculous beliefs that they will gain intelligence, strength, sex drive etc.

What I'm trying to say is keep caring and sharing. Different Culture's animal abuse is different in some ways. Right now every minute or sec an animal is being abused right there in your neighborhood FOR WHAT? We have shelters, people who care,and vets with health guidelines. YET people right here in our own back yards commit HORRIBLE acts to animals- HECK to their own kids!

Keep sharing your stories of how much you love your animals to others, eventually it will catch on - if not today ~tomorrow.

technodoll
September 4th, 2006, 06:27 PM
btw if anyone has the stomach for it... PM me and i will send you a link to the video. might change your mind about what "cruelty" to animals really means. my mom could only watch 10 seconds, she was in tears... and has vowed to shun ANY materials made of animal fur, skin, by-products, etc. and to not buy anything "made in china" anymore. if we all did our share... the demand would not be there anymore, and the supply would dry up. think about the POWER we have, as consumers, to change the world. :candle:

Maya
September 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Even if petitions don't have as much effect as we would like, they do raise awareness which is very powerful. We can't even begin to change things until we are aware a change needs to be made.

I try not to purchase things from China but, honestly hadn't thought to much about it for a while. The other day it was on my mind from being reminded here, and I chose not to purchase something from China, and a company I remembered is adding to cruelty in the world. It's like the puppymill situation, if people can at least be aware and stop purchasing the pet store pups, there won't be a cycle of supply and demand for them. Even here in Canada there are all sorts of atrocities going on everyday, it is frustrating, it starts feeling like you have to avoid everything and what's the point. I think it does make a difference though because lately I've been noticing many products that are advertising cruelty free/environmentally friendly/fair trade etc.

erykah1310
September 4th, 2006, 08:18 PM
:yell: :sad: :sad: :frustrated:

I had to check it out and I really wish i didnt. At times like this I AM ASHAMED TO be a human!!!!!

Why is fur desirable anyway???
To prove how cruel and heartless you are???

technodoll
September 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM
i told you it was awful... now you know what i mean that it rocked me to my deepest core :sad:

chico2
September 5th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I cannot watch anything like that,just reading about it is giving me nighmares,but I saw a snippet of it,by accident a long time ago and the picture is forever inprinted in my head:sad:
This is not something new happening in China,it's been going on for a long time.
Maybe if you follow the news-media,you'll notice,the only time these horrors make headlines,is if a STAR brings it up,then it will die down.

Ronni,I understand what you are saying,but as for Chinese culture,causing incredilbe pain to other living beings is not culture,it's all about $$$$.No,the poor chinese are not getting rich from this,but a few others are,including the importers.Kudos to the US for banning cat/dog fur!
I know millions of people in China are living a total miserable exsistence,under a cruel regime,but it does not excuse this kind of horror.
Unfortunately,until the rest of the world stop importing the furs,with blinders on,this will continue.
This also includes how I feel about our very own seal-hunt,nobody needs to wear dead animals!!
I will continue to sign any petition coming along,whether it makes any difference or not,but it is good knowing there are people in the world who cares.

Golden Girls
September 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Yep those video's r what nightmares r made of ... if you haven't seen them, don't!

Ronni: Many people realize that some don't feel the same compassion as others. But animal cruelty there in China is beyond just feeding the hunger and there is no justification for it. That's not to say here in Canada and the USA there's no animal cruelty either. I even wonder if there's a ban or not in Canada against dog/cat fur, seriously. I do know the fur farms here are pretty much as cruel as in China. So is the slaughterhouses for that matter. And the dairy ... the list goes on.

There are plenty of video footage that exist that verify all the suffering animals are forced to endure at the hands of humans all over the world. China is just one of them. But those ridiculous beliefs you were referring to ... I'm sorry but it's not just the rich that still practice those horrific cult like attitudes!

I do however speak with people like you were saying ... and just on Sat night I was out walking my dogs and met a young Chinese couple with their 5 yr old daughter and a puppy, golden. They stopped me and began asking questions about their puppy. What to do etc ... clearly they had absolutely no idea. We exchanged e-mails even and I have sent them info on training, feeding, etc and they were very appreciative. Actually I spent over an hour with them and although at times I found it a little difficult they were just really nice people and so willing to learn.

chico2
September 5th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Golden Girls,I have the answer our government gave to people asking we ban cat/dog fur from China here somewhere.Here is the answer our government gave.This was not me writing,but another concerned person,sorry I don't know how to do the quote"thing"but here is the reply the writer got:
I was quite astonished by the reply I received from the then minister of international trade. After a lengthy preamble explaining the importance of the fur trade to Canada's economy, he said this: "Trade rules oblige Canada to treat foreign and domestic products on an equivalent basis. Thus, were a ban on imports into Canada of cat and dog fur products to be contemplated, there would also need to be a prohibition on the domestic sale, offering for sale, manufacture, transportation and distribution of dog and cat fur in Canada.
GG,I can e-mail you the whole letter,if you would PM me your e-mail addy..

technodoll
September 5th, 2006, 02:29 PM
i don't understand that statement at all :confused: what is our government really saying?? :confused:

dtbmnec
September 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I suppose they're saying that if we were to ban international dog/cat fur items we'd have to ban our own items as well....that's what I got out of it...

In other words we can't be hypocritical....

Megan

chico2
September 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Technodoll,I am not sure I understand either,but we butcher seals in much the same way China kills cats/dogs and China and Russia are the biggest importers of our seal-skins.Apparently a $30 million"boost"to our economy.
I had no idea we deal in cat/dog fur on a domestic level:eek:
I read somewhere a while back,that what we call"faux fur"is often dog/fur:sad:

technodoll
September 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM
how totally disgusting... and appalling... and oh god, will it ever end? :sad:

Golden Girls
September 5th, 2006, 09:20 PM
"Trade rules oblige Canada to treat foreign and domestic products on an equivalent basis. Thus, were a ban on imports into Canada of cat and dog fur products to be contemplated, there would also need to be a prohibition on the domestic sale, offering for sale, manufacture, transportation and distribution of dog and cat fur in Canada.Can it get any more gibbrish then this :confused:

Although dog/cat fur is banned in Australia, Belgium, Denmark, France, Greece, Italy and the US - fur's country of origin can't be traced so I don't see the relevance of the above statement - if one can call it that? What would matter then who's banned what. Everyone's importing and exporting the stuff?

MyBirdIsEvil
September 5th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Trade rules oblige Canada to treat foreign and domestic products on an equivalent basis. Thus, were a ban on imports into Canada of cat and dog fur products to be contemplated, there would also need to be a prohibition on the domestic sale, offering for sale, manufacture, transportation and distribution of dog and cat fur in Canada.

Basically it's an answer meant to confuse people, that's what most replies from politicians are, but I'll translate it into layman terms (not that it makes much more sense).

Canada has to treat foreign and domestic products equally. If Canada was to think about banning imports of cat/dog fur from other countries they would also have to outlaw selling cat/dog fur in Canada, offering it for sale (such as advertising), manufacturing it there, and transporting and distrubuting it there.

That's basically a b/s response that means "we'd lose lots of money if we banned fur imports", because it's not the fact that they'd have to follow the law domestically too (that's a given), it's that they wouldn't be making any money in enforcing those laws.

The distributors wouldn't be making money on the fur and fur products.
The manufacturers wouldn't be making money on the fur and fur products.
The advertisers wouldn't be able to make money off of products made of the fur.
The people who deliver and transport the fur and fur products wouldn't be making money.
And ultimately the government would lose a lot of money because the people previously listed wouldn't have the money to give them.

rainbow
September 5th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Good post MBIE and your not even from Canada. :D

MyBirdIsEvil
September 5th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Lol. Political jibberish is the same no matter where you're from.

Golden Girls
September 6th, 2006, 08:27 AM
The deliberate loophole called labelling
http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0512/11/lkl.01.html

chico2
September 6th, 2006, 10:57 AM
GG's,thank you for the transcript!
At the time this show was aired,I had planned to watch it,but soon realized it was too gruesome,I simply cannot:sad:
I am hoping more people became aware of this horror and although we don't read anything about it,some group is working on ending this horrific practise.
Maybe people will think twice about buying a coat with"faux fur"on the hood,or furlined gloves,boots etc..
The people mentioned,HSUS,I believe were the ones who manage to get the Indian government to out-law the"dancing bears",on the streets of India and it worked,even if the only reason to end this cruelty was to boost the tourist trade.
So,it CAN work,if enough people show their outrage,mind you India is not China.
What China does behind a veil of secrecy,does not seem to bother many governments as long as the money keeps pouring in.:evil:

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 11:23 AM
thank you for the transcript... thank goodness some people with leverage are fighting for these poor creatures. :pawprint:

MyBirdIsEvil
September 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM
What China does behind a veil of secrecy,does not seem to bother many governments as long as the money keeps pouring in.

What our OWN countries do doesn't seem to bother our own governments. Look at the puppymill situation. There's no way to police every pet store and breeder so the only way the eliminate most of it would be to stop allowing pet stores to sell cats and dogs, but no one in government wants that.

chico2
September 6th, 2006, 02:26 PM
MBIE,I have not been everywhere in Ontario,but I know the ONE petshop here in Oakville selling pups and kittens is closed:thumbs up and it seems to me,more stores are choosing to have animals from HS for adoption.
Of course I can only speak for what I've seen..
Puppy-Mills are terrible places as are slaughterhouses,factoryfarms etc,etc...and there is no excuse for any of it,even animals that are to be slaughtered should be treated with compassion.
However there is no comparison to what goes on in China,it's beyond cruel,it's totally evil..
We have a Primeminister who supposedly love cats,I've never voted PC,but if he took the initiative to change our animal cruelty laws,stopped the import of cat/dog fur from China,made the sealhunt humane or cancelled it all together,he would certainly get my vote!
I wonder seeing China beat to death 500.000 dogs,because of a rabies scare,how many will they kill for the 2008 Olympics,how will they hide the horrors in their markets when the world is watching?

Golden Girls
September 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM
The one thing we all now know that while trying to expose this, we've learned the Governments know/knew all along ... and took great measures in protecting themselves. Profit outweighs morality!

thank goodness some people with leverage are fighting for these poor creatures. :pawprint:confused: Being a celebrity only allowed the horror to be exposed ... it's now up to us to use our power we (as in you, me and us) by using our freedom of speech. We have to ask ourselves because we know, what can I do today and not what have you done. Sign petitions, write letters to fashion designers (pressure the buyers), write to the Minister of Environmental, tell everyone you know? Anything ... otherwise nothing will ever change and we all then have to share the blame. I think it's be silenced long enough.

Golden Girls
September 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM
That's another thing, their hosting the Olympics, send letters threatening to boycott the games? Let them know the world is watching

chico2
September 6th, 2006, 02:51 PM
A good place to start,would be departement stores like Wal-Mart,Zellers,K-Mart etc...where these products are often sold.
I wish there was one person in our government who would have the guts to speak up,regardless how many votes he would lose from big bussinesses.

chico2
September 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM
There are some terrible things going on,because of the Olympics in 2008,they are putting people out on the streets,while their houses are being torn down,just to build places for the olympic buildings...no regards at all for the people whose lives they are destroying..
China is going to put on a good face in 2008,but they are as fake as the $20 Rolex-watches they make:mad:

Golden Girls
September 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM
A good place to start,would be departement stores like Wal-Mart,Zellers,K-Mart etc...where these products are often sold.
I wish there was one person in our government who would have the guts to speak up,regardless how many votes he would lose from big bussinesses.That won't happen though there's just too much money involved. I think targeting the buyers would be a good start.

Maya
September 6th, 2006, 05:17 PM
There are some terrible things going on,because of the Olympics in 2008,they are putting people out on the streets,while their houses are being torn down,just to build places for the olympic buildings...no regards at all for the people whose lives they are destroying.. Sorry this is a little off topic but that happened here too, in Vancouver during Expo 86. Many of these people's lives were already awful because they were living in rat infested residential hotels and had no way of getting out of the trap of poverty. We had one politician at the time do more than I've ever seen anyone do to shed light on what was really going on, but I've yet to see anyone with power stand up for the less fortunate since.:(

Golden Girls
September 6th, 2006, 06:32 PM
i just got an email to sign a petition to help stop the horrors of the fur trade :sad: :( :rip:If you kept the petition would you mind posting it? :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 08:10 PM
GG, it was an email asking to add your name to the list in the body of the email, and when it got to 500 names on that email, that person was to forward it to PETA2@peta.org . now i'm wondering how that works?? anybody can make up a list of names... guess it was a scam eh? but the video was very very real. :(

Golden Girls
September 7th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I'm sure it was authentic and as real as the claim itself :sad:

I was searching for that particular petition but found one regarding the deceitful, dirty little secret labelling :( The sponser is the Humane Society of the United States ... Rick Swain/Chief Investigator who actually filmed footage himself of the horror. I can't imagine what he sees when he closes his eyes at night :sad:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/790810093?ltl=1157598116

technodoll
September 7th, 2006, 07:02 PM
signed that one... thank you for posting that, GG :candle:

chico2
September 8th, 2006, 07:35 AM
As did I...you might think I am a bit off the wall:confused: but the two tiny kitten-ornaments are now buried,right next to where my sweet Peppi lies,I just could not keep them in my home:evil:

Golden Girls
September 8th, 2006, 11:06 AM
As did I...you might think I am a bit off the wall:confused: but the two tiny kitten-ornaments are now buried,right next to where my sweet Peppi lies,I just could not keep them in my home:evil::candle: I'd have done the same http://bestsmileys.com/comfort/1.gif

technodoll
September 14th, 2006, 11:05 AM
here is the online information... http://www.furisdead.com/feat/ChineseFurFarms/

Undercover investigators from Swiss Animal Protection/EAST International recently toured fur farms in China's Hebei Province, and it quickly became clear why outsiders are banned from visiting. There are no regulations governing fur farms in China—farmers can house and slaughter animals however they see fit—meaning miserable lives and excruciating deaths. The investigators found horrors beyond their worst imaginings and concluded, "Conditions on Chinese fur farms make a mockery of the most elementary animal welfare standards. In their lives and their unspeakable deaths, these animals have been denied even the simplest acts of kindness."

there is a link on the page on "how you can help". I just wish there was more we could do :sad:

i am never ever ever again buying ANYTHING with a hint of fur on it and am spreading the word :sad:

chico2
September 14th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Technodoll,is that site ok for me to look at,or is full of horror pics??
I would like some more info about what or if,any particular group is working to end this outrage.
Our government is not going to help,or ban anything,they are actually calling to expand our business with China:yell:

technodoll
September 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM
it has some graphic images... sorry chico :(

chico2
September 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Ok that's too bad...I just cannot watch this kind of thing it makes me crazy,gives me nightmares:sad:

Golden Girls
September 15th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Peta has a long history of campaigning against the fur industry, this being their most recent:

]Ralph Lauren Goes Fur-Free!
Ralph Lauren, long recognized as a leader in fashion, is now also a leader in compassion after announcing a precedent-setting decision to no longer use fur in any of his apparel or home collections, based purely on ethical grounds.

The Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation had been considering eliminating fur from its lines for some time and finally issued a statement making its decision to go fur-free official after a series of meetings with PETA during which executives viewed grisly undercover video footage of fur farms in China, where more than half the finished fur garments imported for sale in the United States are sourced. Shortly after meetings with PETA in February and March 2006, the company committed to pulling all fur from its shelves. “Fur has never been an integral part of our design strategy …,” said a Polo Ralph Lauren spokesperson. “We are publicly announcing this decision because the use of fur has been under review internally and we feel that the time is right to take this action.”

On fur farms in China, animals are confined to tiny wire cages through all weather extremes. Before they are skinned, workers bludgeon them with metal rods and slam them against the ground, breaking their bones but not always killing them. Many animals are skinned while they are still alive.

The Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation sent PETA a signed statement of assurance acknowledging its intent to pull all advertising for fur, cancel all pending orders for fur products, and beginning with its holiday 2006 collections, no longer sell any fur products. Twelve hundred of its brand-new fall 2006 fur-trimmed coats will be donated to charities in developing nations.

Ralph Lauren’s compassionate, progressive decision sends a powerful message to the clothing industry that torturing and killing rabbits, raccoons, foxes, and other animals for fashion won’t be tolerated.
What You Can Do
If you know someone who still wears fur, urge him or her to watch this video. Also, please write to Ralph Lauren and thank him for this decision:

Ralph LaurenPolo Ralph Lauren Corporation
650 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10022
[email]CustomerAssistance@polo.com][/email:thumbs up

(I didn't include the video) The most important way we can help is to just continue to educate anyone who still wears fur :shrug: I also won't buy anything that's imported from China

chico2
September 15th, 2006, 08:34 AM
GG,I don't agree with everything Peta does,but this is one fight they've had ongoing for years:highfive: every victory is a HUGE one!
"Puff Diddy",or whatever he calls himself these days,has a clothing-line loaded with furs,wolf,bear,fox anything he can get his hands on.
Unfortunately it sells,Jennifer Lopez being one of his biggest customers:sad:
It's getting more and more difficult finding anything NOT made in China.
I bought a little jacket yesterday,from Marks Work Wearhouse(one of my fave stores)never checking the label,assuming it was Canadian made...guess where it was made?
It has no fur,but still...
I am going to write Ralph Laurens company:)

Golden Girls
September 15th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I do not support everything Peta does neither ... but their fur/lab/entertainment campaigns I support 100% and do what I can. I will not however watch any of their video's. I think being really annoying has had much positive effect on big industries and hope they continue to expose it all, as sickening as it is!

I agree, it's getting harder and harder to find merchandise not made in China. And even sometimes your buying with a Europe tag ... it's still from China. So you can only do what you can and hope the label is authentic :rolleyes:

technodoll
September 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM
:thumbs up for small victories! and hope they continue to pile up... I too believe that education is the key. it's hard to believe anyone can watch the "fur video" or footage or photos and STILL wear fur, knowing where the product came from and how it was obtained :yuck: :sad: You would have to be one cruel, heartless human being to do that, IMO. We need more Pamela Andersons!