Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Angies Man
September 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
It really is a pretty good forum but popunders are invasive, intrusive, and unappreciated. They are spyware, imo. :frustrated: :yuck: I'd prefer to contribute $5 or $10 a year so I wouldn't have to close a spam message every time I visit this site.

I would never buy anything advertised with MediaFastClick.:mad:

Puppyluv
September 1st, 2006, 11:25 AM
OMG i agree!!! The number of popunder smiley ads I get a day from this site is attrocious. And one of the smiley talks, so I have to close 8 of them, and all 8 yell at me:mad: I would deffinately pay a little to get rid of them.

rainbow
September 1st, 2006, 12:27 PM
Do you guys have a pop-up blocker? I only get one pop-under (it's from media fastclick but the page is blank) which is annoying but I can live with it.

Puppyluv
September 1st, 2006, 12:29 PM
I have a super dee duper pop up blocker. This is the only site I get pop unders from, and I get tonnes of them.

jesse's mommy
September 1st, 2006, 01:00 PM
I only get one. :confused:

Maya
September 1st, 2006, 02:53 PM
It also depends which browser you are using. Most people use Internet Explorer which is the worst for letting pop ups in (and it also has lots of security probems). I use Opera and it blocks most of the ads. I don't have any pop up blockers, most browsers besides Explorer block unwanted popups by default. Firefox is another good alternative to Explorer, and it is the most familiar. Opera might take a bit of time to get used to but they are all very easy to use. Opera and Firefox also do tabbed browsing, so you don't need to open each page in a new window. They are both free and don't have any spyware or anything.

http://www.opera.com/download/

http://www.mozilla.com/

jesse's mommy
September 1st, 2006, 03:04 PM
I use Explorer and only have one.

Prin
September 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM
Me too.:confused:

Maya
September 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM
That's strange, is it possible you have a blocker installed?

jesse's mommy
September 1st, 2006, 03:18 PM
I uninstalled the pop up blocker because I was having problems getting access to my bank info and paying my bills online with it.

Prin
September 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM
I have windows popup blocker... :shrug:

dtbmnec
September 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM
I too use Internet Explorer and have always only come across the one (with the smileys....damn that's annoying)...I've only got the default pop up blocker too (it does say that it's blocked other pop ups though)...

For those of you getting multiples....try hitting alt+tab to switch to the popup and then hitting alt+f4 to close it that should not let you have to listen to the damn smiley face yelling at you lol Just be careful which window you're focussed on because you might close the wrong one.

Megan

Angies Man
September 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM
I use Firefox and for a while it blocked popunders like mediafastclick. I have a popup blocker installed and enabled. But now a couple of the sites I regularly visit (this one and the Reno newspaper site) have popunders that have found a way to get past my current software.

I'm not antiadvertisement, just the sneaky stuff that opens behind the page I'm looking at and then show up when I close the current page. And as far as I can find out, there's no opt out available.

Prin
September 1st, 2006, 03:32 PM
It's ok, just take a sip of *Coca-cola!* and simmer down with a good *DaVinci's Code!* book. We're forced to see these ads and it'll only get worse with time wherever we go.:(

Maya
September 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM
I uninstalled the pop up blocker because I was having problems getting access to my bank info and paying my bills online with it.

That is mysterious, not sure why you are lucky.:):shrug:

Puppyluv
September 1st, 2006, 03:42 PM
I use firefox for OSX, but those smileys harass me like crazy. I do use hotkeys to close them as soon as I hear an "Oh my gawd! No Waaaaaay!"

Prin
September 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM
When I get them I just right click on the square in the task bar at the bottom of the screen and click close. That way you never open them and you don't hear them.:shrug:

mesaana
September 1st, 2006, 03:48 PM
I used to get the mediafastclick thing but now, since I've upgraded Firefox, it hasn't gotten through once!:fingerscr I think it's the NoScript extension I added... It's a bit more work for some sites (it informs me every time it blocks scripts and sometimes, I have to allow them (temporarily), but all in all, it's well worth it!

Maya
September 1st, 2006, 04:00 PM
I use Firefox and for a while it blocked popunders like mediafastclick. I have a popup blocker installed and enabled
I don't use Firefox but they should have free extensions to block just about anything. :shrug: Maybe dig around a bit more if you haven't already.

It's ok, just take a sip of *Coca-cola!* and simmer down with a good *DaVinci's Code!* book. We're forced to see these ads and it'll only get worse with time wherever we go.

Those big moving bilboard ads really bug me too. :( I don't drink coke but I am going to go settle down with some tea.:)

I think it's the NoScript extension I added..

I think that's what I was trying to say to Angies Man.:):fingerscr

rainbow
September 1st, 2006, 07:04 PM
I use Internet Explorer and the blocker that comes with it and I only get one pop-under with a blank page so I don't even know what it is except it says restricted sites at the bottom. :evil:

marko
September 1st, 2006, 10:31 PM
Dear members,

Please use pop up blockers if you are annoyed with the ads. I will look into that talking popup and see if we can block it.

We hate to see members frustrated ......but the ads do help pay for the mounting costs of running this board.

Angies Man
September 1st, 2006, 10:46 PM
I got it fixed, I think. I'll give it a couple of days to see if the hack worked, then report back on if it was effective.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 1st, 2006, 10:50 PM
I've never gotten a popup from here.
I use I.E. but I have my security settings customized and I have Google popup blocker. Other than that, nothing is different about my software.

Maya
September 1st, 2006, 11:03 PM
I got it fixed, I think. I'll give it a couple of days to see if the hack worked, then report back on if it was effective.Cool. :thumbs up

phoenix
September 2nd, 2006, 12:24 AM
... as soon as I hear an "Oh my gawd! No Waaaaaay!"

LOL... ah the sound of me, sneaking away to go on pets.ca... and given away by a smilie...

jesse's mommy
September 2nd, 2006, 05:42 AM
If you keep the volume turned down, no one will ever know. :evil:

Maxine
September 13th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I dont get any of those popunders.... I use Ad-Watch.... :thumbs up

Maxine

marko
September 14th, 2006, 11:56 AM
As of 4 or 5 days ago, I do believe that I have blocked that "Oh my gawd! No Waaaaaay!" ad.

I used to get it too, but no longer. In fact I'd like to block ALL sound ads.

Please let me know if any members hear weird ads - and I will block them.

Thanks

Marko

Puppyluv
September 14th, 2006, 12:50 PM
YAY!!!! The annoying ad is gone!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!
It's been replaced by an ad for screensavers with some lady in a bikini on a beach, but it's silent, so I don't care about it.

phoenix
September 14th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks Marko!

Stacer
September 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I've never gotten a popup from here.
I use I.E. but I have my security settings customized and I have Google popup blocker. Other than that, nothing is different about my software.

I too use IE and have the google blocker. I never get popups/unders. Maybe google is the answer.