Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Howling Malamute

katy052480
September 1st, 2006, 07:06 AM
Everybody has been so helpful in the past, I was hoping you guys had some ideas on this. I just moved about 3 months ago and the new house is close to a firehouse. Every time the fire whistle goes off, my 5 year old malamute starts howling with the whistle (we are close enough that yo can hear it in the house with windows and doors shut) matching tone and pitch. He is perfect in every other way and I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar problem or could offer suggestions on how to stop it??

~michelle~
September 1st, 2006, 12:35 PM
my dogs do this as well ..... but i dont try to stop it i think its cute. (and its only fire trucks no other sirens) i think however you would use the same techniques for stopping barking. however this is natural to the malimute so it might be tough to break

Prin
September 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM
That sounds so cool! Jemma howls when she's happy and we don't stop her... I mean, if the firetrucks have their sirens blazing, it's not like you're going to sleep through it anyway.:shrug: :o

Maya
September 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM
I live near a fire station and hear lots of howling and barking, some dogs even try to chase the fire trucks. I thought maybe it was partly because it hurts their ears.

rainbow
September 1st, 2006, 06:12 PM
He is perfect in every other way and I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar problem or could offer suggestions on how to stop it??

Why do you want to stop it? Personally, I love to hear them howl. I have a siberian husky that howls when he talks to me but he doesn't do it when he hears a siren. The huskies/malamutes that live on the road above me howl at sirens but it doesn't bother me. It's only for such a short period of time anyway. ;)

snowwolf
September 3rd, 2006, 02:40 AM
My 4 year old Mal has always howled to fire engine ambulance and police cars, he will hang his head out the car window and howl along with the noise, I find it highly amusing :-)