Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat gestation

lovesmyizzma
February 6th, 2004, 12:52 AM
I was wondering if you could tell me how long does it take for a cat to show that shes pregnant? And what are the signs that she is pregnant?

Carina
February 6th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Here's an article from this site:
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-expecting.htm

If you think she's become pregnant very recently, would you consider having her spayed now & terminating the pregnancy? As you see, the risks are not insignificant. It would be healthier for her. And there are millions of unwanted cats killed every year in shelters... :(

If you decide to let her go ahead with the pregnancy, make sure she gets good nutrition & take her to your vet for a checkup.

mona_b
February 6th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Also,you need to be prepared to take care of the baby/babies if Mommy wants no part of them....This will be hard work for you considering they will need constant care.

Take her to your vet and let them check her out.

If she isn't pregnant,please have her fixed.

As Carina said,there are far to many in the shelters being put down.:(

Lucky Rescue
February 6th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Did you just find this cat, or adopt it pregnant? In either case,PLEASE take her and have her spayed! There are millions of unwanted cats suffering and dying right now. There are way too many cats and not enough homes.

What are you going to do if you have 7 kittens who get to be 6 months old and you have not found permanent and responsible homes? Are you going to pay to spay and neuter 7 kittens?

I'll tell you what you will do - either dump them at the shelter, or call a rescue (which are already filled with cats from people who let them breed for no good reason)

Neither of these are actions that a caring person takes. I"m sure you don't want to be directly responsible for the deaths of 6 or 7 cats.
See these beautiful kittens? They are in a cage, waiting for either a home, or death, since no one wants them.
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/2044454/43639179.jpg
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/2044454/43639155.jpg

They are all sweet and beautiful, but there are too many of them.:(

numberoneaggie
February 27th, 2004, 01:11 AM
The best advice is to indeed get the female spayed. Unless you are actively breeding the female, it is essential to get female cats spayed for their health. Cats are not like people and dogs and do not ovulate. They only release eggs after they have been fertilized and their ovaries stimulated (i.e. had sex with a male). Therefore, if you do not spay a female and she is not routinely breeding, her eggs remain in the ovaries and rot and can cause ovarian cysts, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and a number of other problems.

However, I will also offer this information in case you do not spay her for your own reasons. The normal gestation period for a cat is anywhere from 59 to 70 days. The earliest sign of pregnancy is an enlarging and pinkening of the nipples. This will be very obvious if this is a first pregnancy. The hair around the nipples will also become thinner and she may lose her appetite and have morning sickness. I myself can feel and count the kittens at about three and a half weeks. They feel like large lima beans. She will become noticeably larger after about five weeks and you can feel movement of the kittens around week six. Anywhere from the middle to later pregnancy stage, she will start wanting to nest and seek out dark, warm, secluded places. I use a covered litter box with a pillow covered with towels as a nest. When she is close to her due date, it is important to confine her, especially with a first litter. Some first time moms freak out when they go into labor and I have heard of them having babies in a litter box because they thought that they needed to go to the bathroom. Once she starts having the kittens, she should know how to clean them and cut the umbilical cord, but in case she doesn't, have warm, wet rags on hand and as well as a clamp and scissors to cut the cords. The cords need to be about an inch long. Some mothers get carried away and chew away more than that and that can lead to infections on the kittens abdomen. The mother also needs to deliver a placenta with each kitten, so make sure you count them. I let my queens consume the first two placentas as they contain oxytocin and help progress labor. If she is not interested in the first placenta, tear it open so that she can smell it and that should encourage her. After two, I take the other placentas away because too many can cause appetite loss and she needs to eat to produce her milk. Sometimes there are gaps in the labor and that is normal. However, if you know she is not done and nothing has happened for over six hours, she needs to be taken to a vet. After the kittens are born, it is crucial that they stay warm as they cannot maintain their own body heat for at least 72 hours. To help the mother, I put a heating pad on low under the blanket. The mother should then know how to take care of her kittens, but if she doesn't, you will have to. I don't have any experience with that, but you can contact your vet or a pet store and they will help.

Again, spaying is ultimately the best option, but I hope this helps if you go ahead with the pregnancy.

lovesmyizzma
April 12th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Just to let all of you know, Our Queen had 6 very healthy Kittens...........They aren't even 5 days old and already we have found very lovely homes for most of them......we have grown attached to the little guys and are thinking that the ones we can't find homes for we will just have to keep(OH DARN) heehee.
Not one is going to a shelter, not one is leaving until it is fixed. Just a little note for all of you who had NO positive advice what so ever.........Man kind is failing and the creatures of the world are disappearing because of US but there are still some of us out there that would do anything for our animals

numberoneaggie
April 12th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I'm glad they are healthy and that you've found homes for them! Please keep in mind that most females go back into heat when they wean their babies. It's dangerous for the queen to get pregnant again so soon, so please have her fixed. And make sure all the kittens will get fixed by six months old as well. As someone who breeds, trust me, living with whole females is NOT fun, lol! Post a picture of mommy and the babies if you can.

Have fun with the babies - I just LOVE kittens!

chico2
April 13th, 2004, 07:34 AM
I am glad mom cat is ok and kittens.
I too love kittens and puppies,calves,foals,piglets even baby alligators:D
Just about any baby in this world is cute!!
You all give good advice and I am hoping the mother cat will now be spayed...and live happily ever after:D

mona_b
April 13th, 2004, 07:54 AM
I'm happy to hear that they are all doing fine.

But as for your comment about US doing anything for our animals.Yes we do.That includes spaying and neutering and not adding to the already over population that exists.

Also,check with your vet.Some will s/n at 8 weeks.Ours was done at this age when we adopted him.

hollybug26
April 13th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Just a little note for all of you who had NO positive advice what so ever.........Man kind is failing and the creatures of the world are disappearing because of US but there are still some of us out there that would do anything for our animals

I just wanted to say that everyone offered positive advice. It may not have been what you wanted to hear, but you must understand that most of the people who responded to you have had far too much experience in the realm of unwanted & abandoned animals. It's nothing personal & I agree with you that there are people out there that would do anything for their animals. The sad truth is that there are far more people who could care less. I just post this reply in hopes that you will understand that there was no malice intended, just a hope for a better tomorrow in which all animals have the kind of lives they deserve.

That having been said, congratulations on the babies & I wish them all the best on their journey into this sometimes cruel world. It sounds as though you have set them on a very good path. :)