Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need help feeding a 1 year old cat and a 3 month old kitten

gtexan02
August 31st, 2006, 12:47 PM
Is it possible to feed them separate diets? I don't want to limit either of them from food, and was hoping people had some behavioral/training tricks that I can use to keep them separated.

Currently, they are eating the same food (Purina kitten), but I want to switch the 1 year old off the kitten food since its so high in fat.

Can anyone suggest a good dry cat food for a 1 year old cat? Thanks!

MyBirdIsEvil
August 31st, 2006, 03:48 PM
I want to switch the 1 year old off the kitten food since its so high in fat.

The fat in purina kitten is listed as 12.5%(min)
The adult is listed as 13%(min)
So the adult could actually have MORE fat.

Switching both of them off Purina should be a bigger priority than switching the 1 year old off of kitten food. As long as you feed the recommended amount, most good cat foods should have enough nutrients (and not too much fat) for either of them, and neither of them will become overweight.
We used to feed our cats Purina until we looked at the ingredients, it's a TERRIBLE food. My cats also shed a lot on it and weren't very active.
Dick van Patten makes really good cat food.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/UltCat.html

The ultra premium is about the best, but all of the dry lines are pretty good.

Solid Gold makes a pretty good cat food too. http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=4&code=130

Timberwolf Organics has really good ingredients, but I don't know anyone who feeds it and haven't tried it on my cats, so I don't have any experience with it other than reading the ingredients.

http://www.timberwolforganics.com/product_p/sg.9-4.htm

These foods are ok for all life stages, so they're ok for either of your cats. If you want your young kitten to have a more balanced diet he should be eating at least a little bit of moist food too.
Store brand kitten foods are usually pretty bad compared to a good brand of cat food.

Either way, Purina is mostly corn and other grains and very little meat and usable protein, so I would suggest switching both cats to a better food.

chico2
August 31st, 2006, 03:56 PM
MBIE,said it all,please don't feed them Purina,it's probably at the bottom of the pile for cat-food.
Most of the foods bought in grocerystores,Wal-Mart etc..is junk.
Find a good pet-supply store and they can advice you on good holistic food,without useless fillers.

rainbow
August 31st, 2006, 05:25 PM
Felidae is also a good choice and it's cheaper than Natural Balance, Solid Gold and Timberwolf.

http://www.canidae.com/cats/cat_and_kitten/dry.html

MyBirdIsEvil
September 1st, 2006, 01:18 PM
Felidae is also a good choice and it's cheaper than Natural Balance, Solid Gold and Timberwolf.

If O.P is from Virginia, the prices are going to be similar no matter which brand they choose.
In the U.S Solid Gold and Felidae are about the same price. Depending on where you buy, Solid Gold is actually cheaper.
Timberwolf has free shipping anywhere in the U.S (if you use 7 day shipping), so if you order online it only comes out a few dollars more than the other brands. You also don't have to spend money on gas going to the store, and the cats eat less, so I think it actually comes out a better deal.
Natural Balance is inbetween Solid Gold and Timberwolf in price, and you can buy it at Petco, so if there's a Petco nearby it would be the most convenient to buy at a store.
Honestly, I haven't even been able to find Felidae here in the U.S other than at natural foods stores and very few pet stores, so unless O.P has a natural foods store that sells it nearby, or a small petstore, I think one of the others would be easier to find, and most likely the Solid Gold would be cheaper anyway, if buying from a store.

Kristin7
September 1st, 2006, 01:34 PM
I don't have any behavioural tricks, but I feed my cats separately due to the fact that one of my cats eats much faster than the other and will steal the other's food given a chance. I don't free feed, but they have feeding times during which I shut the slow eater in my bedroom with her food for 20-30 min until she's done. She used to be free-fed but was gaining weight slowly. Then I got this food-hound super-fast eating cat and had to separate them and have feeding times. My slow eater caught on fairly quickly to the feeding times and has lost the excess weight, plus, I can monitor their individual intake of food easier. It really has worked out well for all.

They both eat the same kind of food: Science Diet TD prescription food for their teeth. I'm not sure it's the best, but they both seem to be doing well on it and their teeth look good too. The fast eater has had problems with other foods I tried (sorry, don't recall the brands, but nothing cheap) and would sometimes throw up her food all over the house. Not sure what her problem was but the vet recommended switching her food, so I did a few times and found this that seems to be fine. Could be it takes her longer (slightly) to eat it or just a good formulation for her stomach to handle.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 1st, 2006, 03:22 PM
sorry, don't recall the brands, but nothing cheap

In pet food, unfortunately cost doesn't = quality. Though most quality foods are fairly expensive, most expensive foods are NOT high quality. Science Diet is about the same price as the holistic foods, and the ingredients in it are scary. Their prescription line works fairly well, but it's because of the supplements and stuff they add, not the quality of the food.
The problem is, most hollistic food companies don't make Rx foods.

Look at the first few ingredients in Wysong's dental formula (one of the few hollistic companies that make Rx food)

Beef, Beef Liver, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Ground Beef and Chicken Bone

Then look at the first few ingredients in Science Diet's t/d formula:

Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose 10% (source of fiber)

Where is the meat?
Everything in red is filler. Corn isn't even digestable by cats, it's there to add weight and empty calories to the food. Powdered cellulose is there simply to add bulk to the food; it's indigestable fiber and has no caloric value. Humans and pets can't even digest powdered cellulose, and it's only use is to make food last longer, and make it seem like you're paying less to get more food, when really all you're getting is a large amount of nothing.
That's why cats have to eat a large amount of foods like Science Diet compared to better foods with less filler.

Here's a company that sells powdered cellulose:
http://jrs.venux.net/applications/pet_food.vml

It even says in the first paragraph:

Arbocel has an indigestible raw fiber content of 98 percent, resulting in pet food that has more volume, less energy (read energy as calories) and more bulkage

That basically means, it adds almost no calories to the food, but it adds a lot of size and bulk so the bags of food look like they contain more actual food.

The reason Science Diet is sold in veterinary offices (straight from their site (http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/company_info/company_info_general.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253 4374302051875&bmUID=1157142280005)):

College Visits
We spend time teaching you and learning from you. We provide you with lectures on small animal clinical nutrition from Hill's Veterinary Affairs Managers and/or the Mark Morris Institute. A wide range of subjects are offered, including preventive health care through nutrition and dietary recommendation for numerous disease indications.

Most nutrition courses are taught by people from Hill's or other pet food companies.

After Graduation
We continue to help you throughout your career. After your graduation and your postgraduate work, Hill's veterinarians will continue to offer seminars each year to help guide you in your profession. These seminars are also available for technicians, as well as various canine, feline, and breeder groups. The seminars are continually updated to keep practicing professionals on top of the latest developments in the field of clinical nutrition.

Unbias, huh? Vet's also get kickbacks for selling and recommending Science Diet foods only.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I thought O.P might get some info on why mainstream foods aren't necessarily better.

OntarioGreys
September 3rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
powdered cellulose is often just ground up peanut shells

Felidae is a good food it can be fed at all stages of life from young kittens to seniors