Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flaking Skin On a Cat

XxBurnoutxX
August 31st, 2006, 09:52 AM
Im not sure if i am posting in the right place but,Oh well,Anyway i noticed that my cats are flaking skin and am woundering what it may be or a way to help prevent it.Thanks Much.:ca:

badger
August 31st, 2006, 10:26 AM
If they are not scratching and you're absolutely sure they don't have fleas, they're probably missing something in their diet.

What are you feeding them?

PS A greasy coat and flaky skin can also be a sign of illness, but it would probably be accompanied by other symptoms like changes in eating or other habits.

XxBurnoutxX
August 31st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Ty for your replie and as for their food i feed them Whiskas.I don't notice them scratcing themselves but two of them have flaking and other two don't.
Can it be from over feeding too much maybe?. Maybe One concern i do have is the one cat with the flakes sounds like she tries to cough up a hairball but nothing seems to come up.I give her a hairball remedy but im not sure its working only been a while yet. Aswell when they do cough up hairballs they are huge.Maybe you can recemmond a hairballl remedy.

badger
August 31st, 2006, 04:15 PM
Try feeding them a better quality food, such Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. You feed less, so it ends up being less expensive than you might think, and it doesn't have alot of crap in it (which, I'm afraid, is the case with Whiskas). You can't get it at the grocery; try stores that sell only pet foods. Because it is more concentrated, expect fewer trips to the litterbox as well, always a blessing...
Also if you brush your cats regularly, hairballs should be less of a problem and their skin will improve from being stimulated.
I have no solution for hairballs. Some of my cats hack, others don't. Sometimes I give them hairball paste.
You could also get some of those Omega 3-6-9 capsules, stab them with a pin, and squeeze the contents onto their food. These are essential oils which will help their skin and improve their digestion.
Hope this helps.
http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/