Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dyeing my dog need help

d123squirt
August 31st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Hi I want to dye my teacup and standard poodle with the jazzaling dye. I use to know how to dye them. but haven't done it in a very long time. And need to know how to again if any one knows how to will you please let me know. or if you know of something that is semi permeant that wont coast me so much that would be grate.

dakar
August 31st, 2006, 10:55 AM
Can I ask what is the Jazzing dye and why you are dying them? Just really curious.

Puppyluv
August 31st, 2006, 10:58 AM
Why exactly are you wanting to dye your dog?? I'm not familliar with Jazaling dye, is it a animal-specific prodcut? Or is it a human hair dye? (I know Clairol makes a product called Jazzing dye).

d123squirt
August 31st, 2006, 11:06 AM
its a human dye i know many people who use it. and clairol does make thie.

Puppyluv
August 31st, 2006, 11:10 AM
I don't agree with dying dog's hair. It's like dyeing a child's hair - unneccessary and inappropriate. But if you must dye your dog's hair, it's not advisable to use products made for human hair, like Manic Panic. Dogs' skin has a different pH than humans.

dogcatharmony
August 31st, 2006, 11:27 AM
i have always wanted to ask why would someone want to dye their animal? i have worked as a dog groomer for many years and have yet to encounter someone who wants their dog dyed. but i have painted many a dogs "toe nails" and i always found that a bit strange too. im just asking out of curiousity

SnowDancer
August 31st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Colouring a dog's fur has been outlawed in Turino, Italy - thank heavens. Wouldn't even think of doing it.

Violeta
August 31st, 2006, 12:51 PM
Sorry but the dumbest thing I have ever seen was a purple poodle :evil:

I really don't think that this is necesary

Writing4Fun
August 31st, 2006, 01:35 PM
If you're going to do it, you should know at least to use non-toxic food colouring instead of human-grade hair colouring. It won't last as long, but at least your dog won't poison him/herself.

rainbow
August 31st, 2006, 01:44 PM
I agree. Please do not use human hair colouring on your dog. :eek: In fact, I cannot understand why you would want to dye your dog in the first place. :evil:

Prin
August 31st, 2006, 01:46 PM
Is this the same dog that yelps for ear cleaner? Chances are his skin is very sensitive and can't handle dye. Plus he's black- what are you trying to accomplish in dying a black dog?

Writing4Fun
August 31st, 2006, 02:11 PM
He's black? Yeah, that's not going to work. Forget about dying him.

Prin
August 31st, 2006, 02:13 PM
Yep. He's black. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20829

Or at least the standard one is. The teacup one is new.

joeysmama
August 31st, 2006, 02:25 PM
Why put the pups through something like that when you don't have to? ( color my hair to cover gray and if I didn't have those pseky grays starting I wouldn't bother. It's not fun.)

It's bad enough when we have to clean their ears or bathe them when they hate it. Some things you just HAVE TO do for their own good but dyeing their fur isn't one of them.

Leave them be. I'm sure they're gorgeous as is !

Angies Man
August 31st, 2006, 02:35 PM
ROTFLOL! :eek: Simply amazing!

I don't think anyone is gonna offer any help in dying dogs! At least not on this forum!

Please don't use human hair dye if you must change your dog's color. It's not meant for dog's skin. If you must dye your dog, see if vegetable based food coloring will work--you can mix it to get some wonderful shades of red, purple, green, yellow, blue, orange, all the ATTRACTIVE colors.:yuck: And an added benefit is that when you're done, they'll match your hands!!!

When I used to farm, I would mark sale lambs with different colors (food coloring) to identify where they were going to end up.

Mahealani770
August 31st, 2006, 03:05 PM
OMG! PLEASE..and I'm using a lot of restraint here..DO NOT dye your poor dog!! I'd love to make a few more comments, but I don't need the moderators of this forum to start editing me...so I'll refrain.

jiorji
August 31st, 2006, 03:17 PM
woah!! HUMAN DYE?!?!?!
have you never dyed your hair?? are you NOT aware it irritates the scalp and it burns???? do you not know that a dog's skin is 10 times more sensitive which means that it'll burn him even more?????

i'm baffled...i really don't see why you'd want your poor dog to go through this? Does he no longer match ?

LM1313
August 31st, 2006, 03:35 PM
Definitely don't use human hair dye. If you go to a groomer, they will likely have non-toxic, animal-safe dyes and can do it for you.

I think dying is kind of silly and unnecessary, but not actually a bad thing, provided the dyes are safe for the dog and don't cause irritated skin and such.

If your poodle is black, don't bother, the dye won't even show up.

Furbaby Momma
August 31st, 2006, 03:35 PM
I AGREE 110% WITH THE ALL THE MEMBERS TELLING YOU NOT TO DYE YOUR DOGS FUR.....PLEASE!!!

If you want to jazz up your Poodles then, buy some cute barrettes, or a Rhrinestone collar, some fancy dog sweater's or jacket's these items will not harm your doggies skin. Then we will all look forward to seeing some pictures of them all dolled up, ok thanks.

~michelle~
August 31st, 2006, 03:48 PM
Ok I agree with the other members don't dye your dog's hair. but so we can have some understanding. Why are you planning on doing this to your poor little pooch? who gave you the idea that this was something you should do?

rainbow
August 31st, 2006, 03:49 PM
Yep. He's black. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20829

Or at least the standard one is. The teacup one is new.

The teacup one is black as well.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25203

d123squirt, please do not attempt to dye your dog.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 31st, 2006, 03:56 PM
Um, wow, are you serious?
Not that I have anything against dying your dogs hair (though it looks dumb), but you DON'T use human hair dye on animals.
Hot Topic sells pet safe dye, and you can also use food coloring or sugarless kool-aid mix. There are no permanent dyes that are safe for animals as far as I know. Permanent dyes are usually very harsh with lots of chemicals.
It's considered animal cruelty in some places to use non-animal safe products on your pet (such as hair dye), and whether it's legislated or not, it's still cruel.
If your dog is black, it's unlikely that any dye will really show up on them anyway.

Frenchy
August 31st, 2006, 07:23 PM
OMG! PLEASE..and I'm using a lot of restraint here..DO NOT dye your poor dog!! I'd love to make a few more comments, but I don't need the moderators of this forum to start editing me...so I'll refrain.
I second that !

rainbow
August 31st, 2006, 07:57 PM
LOL, Prin, how come you get away with that and I don't? :crazy:

Prin
August 31st, 2006, 07:58 PM
lol I probably won't either.:D

White Wolf
August 31st, 2006, 08:51 PM
Please keep this thread on topic.

marko
September 1st, 2006, 08:00 AM
If we want to educate members, please do it gently or do not do it.
Regardless how members feel about this thread, the OP came here to ask a question and should NOT be bashed.

dogmelissa
September 1st, 2006, 01:46 PM
Colouring a dog's fur has been outlawed in Turino, Italy - thank heavens. Wouldn't even think of doing it.

They also have laws in Turin (and Italy as a whole) that says dogs must be walked 3 times a day (3 in Turin, 4 in Rome!), or the guardian could face a fine. While I agree that some laws are needed (like preventing people from docking tails & ears for looks), suggesting that I have the time (or my dog has the stamina) to have 3 walks a day is a little extreme. I have a small dog... we take a half hour walk every morning. If he goes more than that, he will sleep for the next 4 hours! While I don't mind him sleeping through the day, if we go for another walk in the evening, I might as well forget about doing any training or grooming him or even having cuddle time with him, because he'll crash hard and sleep all night. Some dogs need it, but honestly.... some of their laws go a little too far, IMO.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/03/07/wlob07.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/03/07/ixworld.html

On the dyeing topic; I have a white dog--Maltese-- and the only times he's been coloured was when he rubbed against a wall I was painting iin my house (he's had a purple patch and is now sporting a red patch). Poodle hair cuts are, IMO, embarassing enough, why in the world you'd want to make them look more ridiculous by colouring them, I have no idea. Besides, what colour *could* you make a black dog turn??
I'm thinking the original poster is a :troll:

Melissa

Puppyluv
September 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM
DM, I disagree about the laws, I think they're great. Maybe your dog can't handle 3 30 min walks a day, but you should take him out at least three times for a 5-10 min walk, it not only gives him the exercise he needs, but a chance to socialize, something that even the most well adjusted dog needs to maintain throughout life. I wish we had such laws here, then maybe I wouldn't see so many obese ddogs lying on balconies.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM
I wish we had such laws here, then maybe I wouldn't see so many obese ddogs lying on balconies.

I think part of that is the fact that people overfeed their dogs. Some dogs will eat as much food as you put down and some people also don't know what a healthy weight looks like. I dunno how many people I've run into that say "OMG! Your dogs are WAY too skinny!", and their dog is overweight. My dogs aren't skinny, they're in perfect body condition. My collie is lanky 'cause he's 8 months old and growing, and my 10 month old is muscular, stout, and you can't see any of her ribs (she has kind of a chow build), but you can feel them if you push down a little, which is perfect. Yet people think they're wayyy too skinny.
Some people also think it's cruel to keep your dog from eating as much food as it wants.

Anyway, that was :offtopic:

muckypup
September 1st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Here is some colour spray:

http://www.renspets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rpd&Product_Code=790285x&Category_Code=2-COAT

but it wont show up well on black coat.

I like the sparkles:

http://www.renspets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rpd&Product_Code=790287x&Category_Code=2-COAT

Writing4Fun
September 2nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
I have a problem with those two products. Neither of them state 'non-toxic' on the label or in the description. They are intended for people, not pets. People know better than to ingest the products. Pets lick themselves. They could be poisoned, which could prove fatal. Please, stick with products that are proven safe for animals.

OntarioGreys
September 2nd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Most groomers that do the show competitions use chalk or food coloring to colour their own dogs for safety reasons , currently their is only one company in Japan that makes a hair colorant for dogs but it is not available world wide yet, so if you want a safe commercial dog dye then you will have to wait a few years as stated it is only good for light coloured dogs.

Maybe instead learn about creative grooming http://www.prestigegroomingacademy.com/Pet_ColourDye.htm
their gallery page has unique cuts

LM1313
September 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
I liked the idea of colorful barrettes . . . I think that would look really cute on a poodle.

glasslass
September 2nd, 2006, 07:58 PM
I can think of one reason I would want to dye Den-Den - just his ears - nostalgia. As a puppy, he had the sweetest, red ears! No, I'd never do it for fear I'd spoil the beautiful ears he has now. But ... sometimes, I do miss those puppy ears. Cream poodle puppies frequently have apricot that gradually fades to off-white.

rainbow
September 2nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Glasslass, Den-Den is gorgeous just the way he is. :love:

glasslass
September 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks! I think so too. Don't think red dye would give the same effect anyway.

technodoll
September 2nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
dye job, anyone? :eek:

human stupidy knows no bounds :sad: it's not even funny. it's pathetic.

http://www.wavescape.co.za/top_bar/photos/Archives/2005/April2005/HBurger_TigerDog-05.jpg

http://www.houseofplum.com/gallery/Green%20Dog.jpg

http://www.jscinemas.com/DSC_0007.jpg

http://www.marshallgreyhounds.com/images/2004-02-15%20Barkus/blue%20dog.jpg

rainbow
September 2nd, 2006, 10:28 PM
OMG, that is total stupidity. :eek:

rainbow
September 3rd, 2006, 12:50 AM
I just looked at this again....I wonder how the idiot person did the dog in the first pic?

technodoll
September 3rd, 2006, 12:58 AM
looks like a paintbrush dipped in black paint... and smeared on the poor dog... :sad:

rainbow
September 3rd, 2006, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I figured as much, but wonder how he/she got the dog to stay still for so long? :sad:

MyBirdIsEvil
September 3rd, 2006, 01:44 AM
looks like a paintbrush dipped in black paint... and smeared on the poor dog...

Assuming the owner isn't a complete moron, it could be edible paint.

rainbow
September 3rd, 2006, 01:53 AM
Assuming the owner isn't a complete moron, it could be edible paint.

We can only hope. :fingerscr

phoenix
September 3rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
there is the health issue, I get it, but I don't care if it is or it isn't edible... the indignity and disrespect it shows makes me sick.

technodoll
September 3rd, 2006, 11:53 AM
a guy brought his pitbull to the dog park last summer, such a super-sweet and beautiful dog... but the guy's little brother had "for fun" carved his name on the dogs' thigh with a clipper (down to the skin). poor dog looked branded like a cow :frustrated:

LM1313
September 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM
As long as the dye isn't harmful, I don't think it's a big deal, personally. It falls into the same category as non-functional pet clothes (ie clothes just meant to "decorate" a dog as opposed to keeping it warm or protect its feet or such) to me. Not something I would do, but whatever floats your boat. :)

dtbmnec
September 3rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
As long as the dye isn't harmful, I don't think it's a big deal, personally. It falls into the same category as non-functional pet clothes (ie clothes just meant to "decorate" a dog as opposed to keeping it warm or protect its feet or such) to me. Not something I would do, but whatever floats your boat. :)

The only time I would consider doing this would be for Halloween or something....

Of course it would also require a NON black animal too wouldn't it? :p

Well it seems I won't be able to :p tee hee oh well...wasn't really that interested anyway :)

And I never understood the whole "let's dress up Freddie the dog to match my outfit today" stuff....*shudder* that's just creepy....keeping Freddie warm is cool but matching outfits?!

Megan

rainbow
September 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
a guy brought his pitbull to the dog park last summer, such a super-sweet and beautiful dog... but the guy's little brother had "for fun" carved his name on the dogs' thigh with a clipper (down to the skin). poor dog looked branded like a cow :frustrated:

That is so sad. :sad: What a moron. :mad:

glasslass
September 3rd, 2006, 02:18 PM
And I never understood the whole "let's dress up Freddie the dog to match my outfit today" stuff....*shudder* that's just creepy....keeping Freddie warm is cool but matching outfits?!

Megan

Guilty! Hopefully, not creepy! My mom devoted hours & hours of labor to surprize me. I loved it, and treasured the love behind it. Only problem, in this picture it's hard to tell where Den-Den's sweater and my poncho begin and end.

Prin
September 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
After almost working at a store that only sells doggy clothing, I sort of get it better now. With big dogs, even in the cold most of them can regulate their own body temp pretty well. Small doggies have a much harder time with it, so you have to do something about it. And if you're going to do something about it, why not go all the way? :D

Personally, I'd rather see a little doggy all dressed up than a little doggy shaking from the cold with no protection at all.:shrug:

I wonder what % of the body heat doggies lose out of their heads...;)

glasslass
September 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
I wonder what % of the body heat doggies lose out of their heads...;)
Heehee! But, look at those beooootifull ears!!! Even if they're NOT red any longer!

rainbow
September 3rd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Glasslass, I think that is cute. I love it. :D

technodoll
September 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
WE like it, but what does den-den say? :rolleyes:

if i had a small dog... i'd definitely get lots of cute coats for winter! :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
September 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
Cider has a light pink cable knit sweater, and a hot pink hoodie that sort of matches my billabong one.. not that it was on purpose, lol. :o

rainbow
September 3rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
I still absolutely love the poncho and outfit that Glasslass's mom made. Grandma obviously loves Den-Den as much as Glasslass does. :D

Frenchy
September 3rd, 2006, 09:46 PM
Cider has a light pink cable knit sweater, and a hot pink hoodie that sort of matches my billabong one.. not that it was on purpose, lol. :o
And where are the pictures ? :( Come on,we wanna see her! Glasslass,Den-Den looks so cute! how nice of your mom! it's really cute,custom made for Den-Den.

OntarioGreys
September 3rd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Guilty! Hopefully, not creepy! My mom devoted hours & hours of labor to surprize me. I loved it, and treasured the love behind it. Only problem, in this picture it's hard to tell where Den-Den's sweater and my poncho begin and end.

Your mom has done an absolutely gorgeous job, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to dress your dogs or co-ordinate them, it simply shows a reflection of how special you think your dogs are, it is called spoiling and pampering, for Callie I had made her a faux fur coat to match my own, I used to do a lot of public events to help promote adoption, and the dogs part of the team.
there are a lot breeds that do not have undercoats or coats that repel water and snow, so they tend to feel the cold just like the little guys, in a lot of cases as dog age they also have troubles same with medical conditions like hypothyroidism, or hip dysplaysia(sp?) clothes in the summer can help to prevent sunburns in thin coated breeds and also to protect them from insect bites.

In some cases people want their pets to be part of their special events in their lives, for example I did this collar for someone who wanted their dog in their wedding http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/collars/th_P1010001.jpg

Dressing dogs up is nothing new, it has been going on for centuries

Here is Franklin D Roosevelts Fala's gear

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/elro/gallery/web_exhibit/falashrine_HOFR1643-1644-1647_exb.jpg http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/elro/gallery/falashrine_HOFR1643-1644-1647.html

Dog collars from the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries at the leed castle dog collar museumhttp://www.leeds-castle.com/images/photos/dog_collar_bits.jpg
http://www.leeds-castle.com/content/visiting_the_castle/dog_collar_museum/dog_collar_museum.html

mafiaprincess
September 4th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I know someone whose chi wears a 'return to tiffany's' necklace as a dog collar...

TooDogCrazy
September 14th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I'm not condoning this action either (and I really never heard about this until just the other day) ....but if the person is going to do it regardless, then why not try Kool-Aid? I do know of many people here in the United States who use the dry Kool-Aid drink mix as a hair dye. Honest-To-God! I was really surprised when I first heard of this, but I worked beside an African American lady who had jet black hair and she used raspberry Kool-Aid to make her hair have a deep mahogany sheen to her dark hair. She swore by its effectiveness and said she knew of many people do it. It was news to me at the time! Over the years, I've heard of others who do it as well. I know that if you spill Kool-Aid on carpet, its a goner. Nothing can take out the black cherry or raspberry colors (not sure what other "flavors" or "colors") but you can forget that stuff ever coming out of your carpet.

In any case, if this person is going to dye her dog's hair irregardless of what she's been told on this forum, maybe she could try that and it would be gentler on the dog's skin. :crazy:

Sariss
September 14th, 2006, 07:52 AM
"Teacup?":crazy:

JoshLauraMcGirr
September 14th, 2006, 10:37 AM
regardless of what color that you are wanting to dye your dog, its not going to stay.... it's pointless. and it can really hurt your puppies.

d123squirt
September 17th, 2006, 08:32 AM
The jazzling is non toxin it did not hurt him

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/d123squirt/pic001.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/d123squirt/pic008.jpg

jiorji
September 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM
well he obviously looks very happy to be blue.

BoxerMom
September 17th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Theres a lady that I know that has a white boxer that she paints wonderful designs all over her for special occasions. I always thought it was so pretty, And Pearl doesn't seem to mind :) She gets swirley-gigs and smileys. On Halloween she gets pumpkins and bats :) I like it....

pitbulliest
September 17th, 2006, 06:01 PM
wow..I don't get why everyone is freaking out about dyeing a dog? What's the big deal? If its non toxic and doesn't irritate the dogs skin and coat, then I don't really see anything wrong with it... some people do it when they are going to an event or something..and to be honest, I think its alot smarter than dressing your dog up in fancy little tutus and sweaters or making them wear sunglasses and pretty little hats..now THAT is stupidity in my opinion..that and people who carry their dogs around in little hand bags :yuck:

I think its wrong for people to jump in and say that people are "stupid" or "idiotic" for dyeing their dog..I dunno...I didn't expect there to be such a sudden outcry against dyeing a dog..lol..like someone else mentioned, whatever floats your boat! :shrug:

jiorji
September 17th, 2006, 06:27 PM
well personally and you can disagree if you want (anyone) ...and this isn't aimed at this thread exactly....but i think an animal should be treated with respect not as a toy. Pets aren't live puppets that are given to kids to dress up in tutus and dye their fur or be some celebrity's accessory. I could go on about this but quite frankly I don't think it makes a difference........it's personal opinion and when I get my dog I shall do as I please with him...that's it.:pawprint:

Frenchy
September 17th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I have to agree with Jiorji,if you want a pink dog there plenty of stuffed animals at Walmart...dogs and cats are animals,not toys.And dressing up dogs are not the same,if it's a small dog and it's -25*c outside,it might be more comfy for him to go for a walk.

rainbow
September 17th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I agree with Frenchy. :thumbs up

pitbulliest
September 17th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I see alot more people dressing up their dogs in outfits in the summer than I do in winter...

rainbow
September 17th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I've lived most of my life in rural B.C. and the only time I've seen a dog dressed up is to protect it from the elements. Except for some people do put barrettes or ribbons and bows in the little breeds. I've never seen a dyed dog except in pictures. Perhaps this is all a city thing?

Writing4Fun
September 17th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Again, Clairol Jazzing is intended for humans, not animals. It may be non-toxic for humans, but that doesn't mean that an animal won't get sick if it ingests any of the colouring. You took an awful chance just to have a blue dog. :(

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 17th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Me and you and a dog named Blue :D :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 17th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Personally I dont think its something I would do - I hope you did one of those patch tests first. :)

Puppyluv
September 17th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Why would someone want a blue dog? Want a blue dog? Get one of these http://www.gummylump.com/files/product/a_2069.spunky-puppy-blue-xlarge.jpg
I think it's silly to dress dogs up for the fun of it, but a lot of weather conditions really do necescitate some doggy apparel, and I applaud the people who can overlook the fact that they may look a little silly with a dog in a snowsuit, for the safety of the dog. Also, I see nothing wrong with doggie halloween costumes, but do see something wrong with dyeing your dog with dyes designed for human hair. Before you put that dye on your dog, take a lick of it, because that's what your dog is going to be doing.

jesse's mommy
September 17th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Very good post Puppyluv.

jiorji
September 17th, 2006, 10:10 PM
by the way....(i learned this in one of my classes...safety with mediums, it applies to everything)....

if something says "non toxic" they only do the non toxic test for 24 hours. A non toxic marker is still toxic after 24 hours of use becaus eyou inhale it. THat hair dye that's so non toxic WILL be toxic if you keep it on for more than an hour. Why do you think it starts burning and your hair starts falling out?

Keep that in mind everyone, just because it's NON TOXIC it doesn't mean it's safe to eat/inhale/use on sensitive skin *hint* hint*

BoxerMom
September 17th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I agree rather you spray, dye, or dress up your dog its YOUR CHOICE! The spray that 'muckypup' posted about WAS nontoxic and STILL got bashed...Explain that. The spray was from an online dog store. It proves the point that there are plenty of people who chose to dye their dogs (rather they choose to post so-for fear of being bashed!- or not;)) Amen to you and your poodle is as blue as you want him to be :)

BTW if you have ever put bows, clothes, or painted your dogs toenails you really have no reason to bash this one person for 'dressing' their dog. and HOW THE F do you people know they were using 'human dye'? One flippin person said the the jazz stuff was clairol-the original poster never disclosed exactly what dye they used be it doggie or human.

Prin
September 17th, 2006, 11:13 PM
True Jiorji. Non-toxic to whom too? Non-toxic to us is not the same as non-toxic to a dog.

MyBirdIsEvil
September 17th, 2006, 11:30 PM
HOW THE F do you people know they were using 'human dye'? One flippin person said the the jazz stuff was clairol-the original poster never disclosed exactly what dye they used be it doggie or human.

This comment was from original poster:

Hi I want to dye my teacup and standard poodle with the jazzaling dye

So was this one:

its a human dye i know many people who use it. and clairol does make thie.

They said they want to dye their dog with "jazzaling" dye, then they mentioned it's human dye and Clairol makes it. No, they didn't say they DID use it, but they said they WANT to use it, which is what people are replying to.

Prin
September 17th, 2006, 11:39 PM
What happened to the two black poodles the OP had?

:troll:

LM1313
September 18th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Dying a dog is the same to me as dressing up a dog (for looks, not for protection against the cold . . . you know, doggie swimsuits and hats and things.) It's decorative and "for fun" and not something a dog would ever "naturally" do. But as long as it's not harmful to the dog and the dog doesn't mind, I don't see any harm.

I don't know anything about the product the OP used, so I can only hope that it's non-toxic. Personally, I would've used Kool-Aid . . . That's definitely digestible. ;)

Puppyluv
September 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I agree rather you spray, dye, or dress up your dog its YOUR CHOICE! The spray that 'muckypup' posted about WAS nontoxic and STILL got bashed...Explain that. The spray was from an online dog store. It proves the point that there are plenty of people who chose to dye their dogs (rather they choose to post so-for fear of being bashed!- or not;)) Amen to you and your poodle is as blue as you want him to be :)

BTW if you have ever put bows, clothes, or painted your dogs toenails you really have no reason to bash this one person for 'dressing' their dog. and HOW THE F do you people know they were using 'human dye'? One flippin person said the the jazz stuff was clairol-the original poster never disclosed exactly what dye they used be it doggie or human.

I suggest that you read all of the posts before you comment. "Jazzaling dye" (Actually Jazzing dye, which I clarified with the OP that that is what they used in the first couple of posts) is for HUMAN hair. Just becaus a pet website sells it, does not mean it's safe.
Putting bows, clothing etc on your dog is compeltely different..... because......ta da! IT'S SAFE!!!!! It does not burn the skin, it can not be injested and posion the dog, and, it's TEMPORARY! You can keep it on for 5 min or 5 hours, but the point is, you can take it off. With dye, it stays on until it wears off. It's just not right.

Writing4Fun
September 18th, 2006, 09:19 AM
D123squirt is the original poster, and has just confirmed that s/he did use the Jazzing dye on his/her dog.

BoxerMom, I agree that dying or dressing up your dog is a person's choice. BUT, if a person is going to come on here and admit that they made the conscious decision to do something harmful to their dog even after everyone warned them against it, don't expect us to applaud them.

I've said this a few times times before. Just because a product is deemed non-toxic to humans doesn't mean it is safe for pets. Humans know better than to lick the product. Dogs don't. Like PuppyLuv said, too, just because someone sells it on the web doesn't mean it's safe.

Prin
September 18th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Putting bows, clothing etc on your dog is compeltely different..... because......ta da! IT'S SAFE!!!!!
Actually, if you put clips in your poodle's hair, I've been told you have to move them around frequently or the hair around them falls out permanently.:shrug:

marko
September 18th, 2006, 11:07 AM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed.