Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What the....

papillonmama
August 30th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I've been trying very hard to keep my cats inside of the house, I actually posted a thread about it before and I did lots of things to stop them, but he slipped out the door the other day and no one noticed. So later I'm looking around for him and can't find him, I start freaking out running around the neighborhood looking for him, I went to the humane society website and checked there, no luck, checked the other sites.

Next morning I'm taking my kids out to check one of the cats at the humane society, and there he is, in the vacant apartment downstairs from me. The windows were wide open the day he took off on me, the landlord wasn't around because it was the weekend and he doesn't come around, if I hadn't seen him in there he would have been there until tomorrow, which is thursday, the landlord would have shown up then, rent day. Someone closed him in. I am mad:mad: . My neighbor has had a problem with me since I told them no about something completely different and I am getting tired of this childish nonsense. I don't play games so I've just been ignoring them, but boy do the try hard to annoy. Generally, they just act silly, extra loud, slamming their doors extra loud when my door is open, just so we can hear, but when my cat could be in actual DANGER that was where they crossed a line, I can handle silly mind games, but endangering a life just isn't okay.

Thing is, I don't really know what to do. If I report it to the cops or the humane society, they'll probably just say it can't be proven, and I agree, the only thing I know is that there isn't anyone else around who would want to lock my cat into a vacant apartment and that were hanging out by that apartment when my cat went missing. What do I do? I'm tired of this garbage, that was really dangerous, he could have been there for days without food or water. Aaargh I'm so mad, and I spent all summer with the doors closed and having to pay extra for the air conditioner just so the cats can't get out, or if I want to open the door to let real air into my house I have to lock them into a room or their kennel. Grrr... I'm at a loss.:frustrated:

Stacer
August 30th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Poor kitty. Lucky that you spotted him in the window. Your neighbours sound like a bunch of really nice people:frustrated:

papillonmama
August 30th, 2006, 09:28 PM
It could have been horrible, thankfully my little man is safe now. It was fate that I found him, I wasn't going out, but our plans changed. Pure luck.

rainbow
August 30th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Is there anyway you can just confront your neighbours and get everything out in the open? Otherwise, this feud is going to go on forever and perhaps escalate and get worse.

papillonmama
August 30th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I tried already, when the problem first started she made it clear she didn't want to solve the problem, she said I wanted to start a beef. I was like what?!? Anyway, I tried to talk to her sensibly about it, no luck, I was "starting things" with her. So then I tried talking to her partner, no luck, so I said fine, I called the landlord and told him to deal with it. After that they took every opportunity to bug us, including involving their kids. Revving engines in the middle of the night, slamming car doors, over and over and over and over. Taking my kids toys from my balcony. Really ridiculous things, and I honestly didn't think it was worth wasting my time over, if someone bothers me, I am very good at ignoring them, the more I turn the other cheek though, the more it seems to bother them, but even worse would be me getting upset with them, if I do that, then they'll really get a kick out of it.

I do know them pretty well, because we used to be quite friendly, I did start drifting away from the friendship before these wierd things started happening (they were being really rude to the other neighbors and I just didn't agree), but I do know that they like seeing people upset. They do things just to get a rise out of the other neighbors, like writing nasty notes to them and putting all of the house numbers on the notes so they don't get blamed. Very petty people.

I know it's small on my part too, but I can't just patch it up, they said some awful things to my kids and about them too. Grown up adults, picking on kids, that's the kind of people that I'm dealing with. Oh they've never said anything rude to me, just to my kids, and not even the ones who can talk.:frustrated:

Prin
August 31st, 2006, 12:30 AM
Sounds like you just have to make extra sure your kitties stay safe.:shrug: :o

mummummum
September 3rd, 2006, 12:23 AM
Would you consider mediation? There are several community service agencies who offer free third-party neutral mediation services to help neighbours resolve their differences. St. Stephen's is one ~ you might give them a call to see if there is a community conflict resolution service in your neighbourhood. I was a volunteer mediator with St. Stephen's for many years and can tell you that no matter how insurmountably huge you think your problem is ~ conflict resolution really does work.