Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leashes

newpuppyowner
August 30th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Hello once again... just an update on my puppy Kayah. She's alot better nowadays. We just can't get rid of her pesky runny nose though. I just came from the Vet today and he's put her on 2 more weeks of another anti-biotic for her nose. She's been on Clavamox for almost 3 weeks and though her discharge is better it's still not completely gone.

Anyways, my lastest dilemma is with Kayah on a leash. While at the vet, she continually tried to leave the rooms we were in. I had her on a leash (one of those retractable ones) and I tried lightly tugging on the leash to get her to come. With every tug she resisted even more. It got to the point where I had to pick her up and retract the leash to its lowest setting to keep her close.

This is also a problem at home. I've tried taking her on walks and she won't go past our driveway. I put on the leash and run with her from the garage to the edge of the driveway. I keep running past the driveway, but she stops. I'll tug on the leash lightly to get her to come and she resists just like at the Vet. Please help..... to be honest it's good to know she won't venture far from home, but it's been a nightmare for us to get her to listen and follow commands when she's leashed. I'm just worried I won't be able to take her anywhere.

P.S. still no 2nd round of shots... the Vet still thinks her immune system's not strong enough, thus us not enrollling her into obedience classes yet.

Prin
August 30th, 2006, 03:48 PM
First of all, get rid of the retractable leash. She has to learn how to walk on a real leash first and then she can earn a little freedom.;)

Lise
August 30th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I agree retaractables are not great for training,I use six foot leather.

dakar
August 30th, 2006, 04:41 PM
It sounds like your pup is quite young. Ours did the same thing when she was little - didn't like to walk away from home. I think it scared her a little. I started driving her to the park and walking her there. It worked somewhat better but mostly I just had to wait for her to gain some confidence - in herself and in me - and grow out of it. By the time she was about 6 months old she was going on long walks and now at a year I sometimes wish she didn't like to walk so much! (jokes - but 2 hours a day does keep us both slim) Just give your baby some time and lots of positive experiences. Sometimes we are in too much of a hurry for them to grow up. Enjoy the puppy stage - it doesn't last long.

PetFriendly
August 30th, 2006, 05:54 PM
For the first few months I always picked my pup up, walked down the road a bit then put him down to explore. Not sure if it was the right thing to do but he was always game to walk along with me and never learned he could 'protest' walking by sitting there and not moving. I got comments from the neighbours about 'its the dog who's supposed to walk, not be taken for a walk' but they forgot that craziness as soon as I started the 'stop and turn around' method to teach him not to pull... I think the consensus in the neighbourhood is that the crazy lady sure has a nice little dog who walks well on a leash ;)

Angies Man
August 30th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Don't assume that because she won't venture beyond the driveway on leash, that she'll "stay close" off leash, either. That's the road to having a dog run over by a car, or at the very least run off and get lost.

Get rid of the retractable for a while, use a 6 or 15 foot lead, loop around your right hand, with the control portion of the lead in your left hand it give you better control. And 'talk and walk', the talking will help keep her attention on you and will help distract her from anxiety about being out in the world.

And get her out in the world--take her to the store with you to increase her comfort level out here.

If she won't walk, pick her up and carry her to an area beyond the safety zone. Put her down and try walking again. Don't reward her for resisting, but while walking, give her an occasional pat and a "good girl!!" Keep it as fun and low stress as possible.

SnowDancer
August 31st, 2006, 11:56 AM
Agree with getting a regular leash. At one time I had the same type of situation as PetFriendly - a small dog who wouldn't walk away from our property but would run home fast enough. I felt sorry for him, in the first 6 months of his life he had been in 4 homes so best I could figure was that he had finally found his forever home and he wasn't leaving. Our current dog, an Eskimo, does not want to leave our driveway with my husband if I am in the house. Happy to leave with me though - so much for husband! I think it will just take time for your pup to get comfortable with walking away from home.

rainbow
August 31st, 2006, 01:17 PM
Nothing to add to this....I agree with what everyone has said.

angeldogs
September 3rd, 2006, 12:19 AM
With Jag i got a 6ft leash with a handle at the bottom and a handle at the top so i can have him walk beside me.Or give him full lead.How about trying a favorite treat to lure away from the house.