Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Microchipping my chihuahua?

VickyK
August 30th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Hi everyone,

I was hoping I can get some feedback on microchipping animals, I have spoken with the vet about having it done when she goes in to get neutered and he says there are no side effects and the dog wont ever feel it.

Any of your personal experiences and/or educated opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

Puppyluv
August 30th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I have my girl chipped, and I think it's a great idea. Several other members have their pets chipped as well. It's not a perfect system, but it's worth it imo. It's just a large needle, and if she gets it while being spayed, she will be out when it happens anyways, so she won't feel a thing. I say go for it.

Writing4Fun
August 30th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Yup, had my girl chipped when she went in to get spayed. She didn't feel a thing. There's always that slim chance that your dog will escape without her collar on. This is the only way they'll be able to trace her back to you. :thumbs up

VickyK
August 30th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks so much for your replies, I feel much better now seeing that there are no protests.

I never really worried about these things when I had German Shepards, I tied them up in front if the corner store for 2 minutes without any hesitation

Thanks again!

SnowDancer
August 30th, 2006, 12:40 PM
My Eskimo was chipped before he was neutered. My vet said there would be just an instant of pain - she was right - much like when you get a needle and at first feel nothing and then right at the end when needle reaches deepest point you feel something. But she always gently rocks the table while I hold my dog and has a cookie in plain sight - but just out of reach. He didn't even notice the pain - he is a serious cookie guy. I didn't want to wait until he was neutered at 7 months - had to wait that long so there would be "something" to neuter - and Eskimos are escape artists even though he is never, ever off leash. A small Chi might feel more pain though than my little fuzzbutt.

dtbmnec
August 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I have two cats and I've decided against it for now.

Right now (besides a lack of money) they really can't get very far without me noticing. I live in an apartment building and so they have to get out of the apartment and then at the end of the hallways there are two closed doors (always closed up here on the third floor...first and second always seem to have them open) AND then they have to get down to the outside doors on the first floor. They both have collars with tags on them and if they're ever quiet I always go looking for them (lol I don't trust quiet! :p).

Eventually I am going to move out of this place (I can't see myself living here for the next 40 years that's for sure) and depending on where I go and what the "escaping" arrangement is like I may or may not microchip (ie. if its the same idea as here then I likely won't).

Megan

dtbmnec
August 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I have two cats and I've decided against it for now.

Right now (besides a lack of money) they really can't get very far without me noticing. I live in an apartment building and so they have to get out of the apartment and then at the end of the hallways there are two closed doors (always closed up here on the third floor...first and second always seem to have them open) AND then they have to get down to the outside doors on the first floor. They both have collars with tags on them and if they're ever quiet I always go looking for them (lol I don't trust quiet! :p).

Eventually I am going to move out of this place (I can't see myself living here for the next 40 years that's for sure) and depending on where I go and what the "escaping" arrangement is like I may or may not microchip (ie. if its the same idea as here then I likely won't).

Megan

dogmelissa
August 30th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I 100% agree that microchipping is a good thing. Here's why: tattoos fade, and some do it very fast. All 3 of my cats are tattooed, but not chipped, and all of them are still currently legible (the oldest tattoo is 8 yrs) but another cat who was adopted with the 2nd oldest (who is no longer with me due to divorce), her tattoo (7 yrs old) isn't legible anymore (or so I'm told). I worked in the shelter for 3 years and I can't tell you the number of animals that came in as strays who we had to struggle and guess and try to decipher old, faded tattoos. Some of them we honestly didn't have a clue, and I felt horrible when those animals didn't get returned to their guardians.
My dog--maltese so similar in size to your chi--was chipped at his neuter. I could have done it sooner, but I knew he was going to have the surgery and he never went anywhere without me in the 3 months I had him before his surgery, so I didn't stress about it.
It's such an easy thing to do and there are no side effects, except the (very small) risk of infection at the injection site. This is a risk, but since all the chips are sterile, and the needles they are injected with are sterilized before use (and depending on your vet sometimes only used once), the risk of infection is very low. There is no risk of infection or reaction to the chip itself, as it's essentially an item the body doesn't even know is there. Much like how our bodies don't react to surgical pins or plates... the chip isn't metal, but it's not something the body cares about.
There is a risk of migration of the chip, and in a small dog it's not a big concern (because the scanner can still pick it up). In a bigger dog, where there's simply more body it can move to (there have been some that "fell" down to lie near one of the dog's front feet), but all places that have chip readers are trained to scan the entire body, not just the spot between the shoulders where they inject the chip. The chip in my dog has migrated from it's original location, and now rests over his right shoulder blade (instead of between them), but as it's so small and an inert object to his body, he doesn't notice it. I can sometimes feel it when I'm rubbing him, but it's not an issue.

Being the guardian of a small dog, I would highly recommend having yours chipped. Little dogs are easy to lose in a crowd (ie, if they escape), and they're easier to steal--not that anyone would want to do that, just as a precaution! Whether you do it at the time of her spay or not is entirely up to you, and your vet. If you think your dog is a bit of a "wimp", and whines or yelps when she gets her vaccines, you might want to do it at her spay, as the needle is much bigger than a vaccine one. However, if she's one of those "tough" dogs, who you could pretty much chop off their leg and they just look at you like "is that all you can do to hurt me?", then you might want to do it as a seperate procedure. Check with your vet though, because they may also not charge you as much to do it as part of another procedure (vaccines or spay), and when you get a "deal" on something, that's always a good thing.

Good luck! Enjoy your puppy!
Melissa

Jackie467
August 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I have both my babies microchipped and never looked back. My cat is done even though she never goes outside, but if she ever slips through the door she will at least have a small chance of being returned to me. I also have my dog done. the cat didnt' feel anything, she didn't even notice they did it. Candi did yip a bit but because she is an italian greyhound she has no body fat at all. But in seconds she was fine again and forgot all about it.

clarert
August 30th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I had all my pets chipped - 3 dogs and a cat - none of them felt a thing! It was quick and simple.
I had mine done because it is an additional form of ID (they still all have visable tags) and they also require it for travelling abroad should we ever need to leave this island for hurricanes etc.

Lise
August 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM
All of our dogs and cats are chipped.I had Molly and Nell done,Tess was done by her breeder,our rexes were done by breeder and Hawkeye one of my grey was done by his breeder,who says it is safer to chip than band a parrot.Nobody here has any problems and I look at it this way,if anyone ever got lost and I hadn't done everything in my powere to get them found I would not forgive myself.

Angies Man
August 30th, 2006, 06:54 PM
A coincidence that this came up today. Angie and I just got home from the Reno Humane Society where she got her microchip today. I'd been planning to get it done for weeks, but put it off. A road trip over the weekend reminded me that it was something I wanted for my own comfort.

Angie's vet wanted to wait 'til she gets spayed and has her gastroplexy. In the meantime, tho, she's not being protected from theft by the barstards that supply the research labs (that happens in the US, don't know about Canada) or from wandering off and getting lost. The research labs in the US are supposed to check for chips on incoming canines (can't speak for felines, but I imagine it's the same.) I think it's US federal law.

My brother's GSD has been stolen twice btw, and still she isn't microchipped. I'm tempted to steal her myself and get her chipped!

So for $37.50 ($20 for the chip & $17.50 for registration,) Angie got her chip today. And her dog license (another $20.) Got 2 more doggy tags as well--the count's up to 4 tags on her collar. She's a big, legal dog now. :dog: Her treat on the way home was a big glass of ice water from Starbucks--her favorite!

I've read the posts, and thought a bit. There really was no question about getting her chipped, I'm a single person, she's a great dog and companion. She's what passes for family for me. And I've been spending money on her like crazy since I acquired her from the breeder, the total is pushing $1000, so from a strictly financial point of view it makes sense. But she's also a wonderful little creature, a real lovee-girl. Anything I could do to minimize the risk of losing her is something I'm willing to do.

BTW, they inject the chip without any anesthesia. She didn't even let out a yelp. Any pain was purely momentary, I think (she's asleep on the sofa next to me!) :thumbs up

dogmelissa
August 31st, 2006, 02:59 PM
Awwww, such a nice story. Sounds like your little fluffer found a great guardian in you. I'm sure the two of you will have a very happy life together! And you know that having a dog can help you find a mate, right? ;)

Glad to hear you got her chipped and she didn't even whimper. *big grin* You're so lucky to have a doggy who you're spoiling. I should post the picture of my doggie's Starbucks love, it's actually quite hilarious.

Melissa