Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to teach to hold it overnite?

canning4aliving
August 29th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I have a fully housebroken CockerSpaniel mix that has been housebroken for 2 yrs but cannot hold it at night...and she is TERRIBLY Kennel Sour! She had destroyed 3 cages in the first week we had her and the wire cage put her life in danger. She actully chewed thru the bars and when we got home her wires were at the base of her little skull and she was trying to pull her head back thru...If we hadn't gotten home when we did...she'd have punctured herself at the least! :eek:
i am open to suggestions except for medicating her at night.. Right now and last winter we simply used chain in the garage and tied her to it. She has a dog house and a dry warm place....(when it gets VERY cold we heat the garage to above freezing.)
The trouble is.....I'd like to have her inside at night especially when it's cold.

jessi76
August 29th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I have a fully housebroken CockerSpaniel mix that has been housebroken for 2 yrs but cannot hold it at night...and she is TERRIBLY Kennel Sour! She had destroyed 3 cages in the first week we had her and the wire cage put her life in danger.

Where did you get her? how old was she when you got her? did you introduce the crate slowly and positively? she may be traumatized from previous owners who used a crate for punishment or isolation (my apologies in advance if this is NOT the case, just giving an example of why some dogs freak out in a crate)

instead of using the garage, can you use a room inside the house? the kitchen or bath? can you baby gate the doorways to keep her in a room overnight? this way, she's inside, warm & safe, free in one room, and not soiling any carpeting.

have you limited (not deny) water before bed? are you certain there is nothing medically wrong with her, that could prevent her from holding it overnight?

does she get a good long walk at night? it may be a good idea for a couple of reasons... 1 - she gets exercise and thus is more likely to sleep & not have an accident. and 2 - she gets the opportunity to "go" all along the walk.

canning4aliving
August 29th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I have tried all of that and she's been checked by a Vet but NOTHING seems to help. If she stays inside, she "puddles" everywhere and she's destroyed 2 doors already. She scratches and cries all night, making it hard to sleep as well. We tried this method of confining her to the linoleum (bathroom) and that wasn't successful either. The vet seems to think it's a fear of confinement at this stage, rather than a separation anxiety thing.
She is chained because she is on one when we put her out to use the potty since we live in the country. I don't want her loose to get hit. She is never left out very long unless she seems to want to be... One of her very best friends is a cat that visits her outside sometimes. She goes outside directly to her chain and asks to go outside when she needs to "go". I think she likes her chain, and it's far less traumatizing to her since she is used to it.
She is a rescue from the shelter...sort of...anyway...my best friend manages the local one and after having my best friend of 15 yrs put down 2 yrs ago..(GOD rest his soul...BIXBY) I asked to to watch for a small female house dog. About 3 months after Bixby was put down, I got a call...Mitzi was 9 weeks old at the time..she had just been brought in.. Her previous owner had a purebred Cocker Spaniel that had gotten out and well....U know the rest, and she had the cutest litter of 3 pups. 2 male and 1 Female. (I must say the Cockers owner planned to have her bred to a Cocker.) She had been in a cardboard box in the ladys bedroom with the mama for 9 weeks so I doubt if her anxiety stems from abuse or punishment...I guessed maybe that too but the Shelter people said she came from a VERY good home.
Anyway, I couldn't say no!!! It was love at first sight. Sooo adorable......She is with us most of the time...I am self employed and Mitzi isn't usually left alone for extended periods. 3-4 hrs on occasion but that's not very often. She doesn't do well in the heat so we found a sitter when we went on vacation. (fenced in 2 acres! She was in heaven!)
Keep guessing and thinking...I would really like to leave her in at night....I've even gotten up in the night to take her out but she can't hold itwhen she's alone it seems. Inside, she can go 6-7 hrs before she wants to go out.:shrug:

jessi76
August 29th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I have tried all of that and she's been checked by a Vet but NOTHING seems to help. If she stays inside, she "puddles" everywhere and she's destroyed 2 doors already. She scratches and cries all night, making it hard to sleep as well. We tried this method of confining her to the linoleum (bathroom) and that wasn't successful either.

I'm sorry, but what you say makes me think it's a lack of consistant training. destroying doors, piddling, scratching, crying, not being able to be left for a max of 3-4 hrs... all these can be remedied (or at least easily managed) by consistant training.

Especially since you've had her since she was a very young pup... I think training is your solution here. you may want to look through and search the training area for some specific tips. there's alot of great information, including training techniques - but remember, YOU need to put forth most of the effort, and the dog will follow.

canning4aliving
August 29th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I've had several dogs in my lifetime and even trained some Spent 3 yrs training a Great Dane in an adult class so I have an idea of what to do. I also watch dog whisperers sometimes.....I wish it were always that easy! I think it has more to do with the dogs personality and her lack of maturity. I've worked with this dog for 2 yrs...Not going to give her up...she's too special to us, but if I could fix one thing about her this would B it. As people we all have something that we do that drives others (at least some of the others) crazy. I don't think dogs are any different. I was hoping someone could offer me something new here to try.
Things work as they are and she's a healthy, happy dog.... I'm not gonna get rid of her because she loves us too much!

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 09:25 PM
What about confining her in your bedroom with you? Maybe the separation from the pack freaks her out.

canning4aliving
August 29th, 2006, 09:31 PM
well..........U might b onto something there........
I've thought about that...gotta talk hubby into trying it. That might B the hardest thing....:pray: LMAO! She REALLY doesn't like it when People touch with her around...she is jealous and GOD FORBID if U make a child cry! I can't even hug my kids if they are hurt...She barks incessantly...tries to seperate us....I wonder how she'd react to me and hubby sleeping in the same bed....
She really is a good protective dog. Not much good at the Watch part of it but F U put UR hands on one another, she tells on you!

SarahLynn123
August 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I have the same problem with my spaniel-X, the only thing that works for us, is locking her in the bedroom with us. If she has access to the whole house, there is pee everywhere!

It's also good because if she has to go in the middle of the night, I will hear her and let her out. She is 8 years old.

Id give it try

Sarah

LavenderRott
August 31st, 2006, 01:24 AM
well..........U might b onto something there........
I've thought about that...gotta talk hubby into trying it. That might B the hardest thing....:pray: LMAO! She REALLY doesn't like it when People touch with her around...she is jealous and GOD FORBID if U make a child cry! I can't even hug my kids if they are hurt...She barks incessantly...tries to seperate us....I wonder how she'd react to me and hubby sleeping in the same bed....
She really is a good protective dog. Not much good at the Watch part of it but F U put UR hands on one another, she tells on you!

Sounds to me like your dog is running your house. For about 2 seconds would I allow my dog to "give an opinion" of who could touch and be involved in any way in disciplining children. If you can't hug your kids when they are hurt because she tries to seperate you then you are not alpha in your house, she is.

Until you let her know that YOU are in charge and she is the DOG - you are going to have problems.

As far as teaching her to "hold it overnight". Well, it is part and parcel with the rest of your problem.

LM1313
August 31st, 2006, 09:35 AM
I agree. This dog is the alpha and it's stressing her out. You need to teach your dog that YOU are in charge and that every human in the house is above her in the pack. She can't choose who touches whom. Imagine if your kids have friends over and get into a minor squabble. Someone is going to get bitten!