Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What breed is this?

MotherOfLady
August 29th, 2006, 02:07 PM
This is my hubby's dog, Missy. We got her from the local shelter. They told us they thought she was half chihuahua and half ?

What does everyone think? We would really love to know what she is.

Her hair is typically long and wavy like her ears, but we keep her clipped short. Sorry for the crappy photo, need a new camera.

Opinions?

MotherOfLady
August 29th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Here's another photo.

badger
August 29th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Papillon? She's a cutie!

JoshLauraMcGirr
August 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I dunno,:shrug: you can definately see the chihuahua part......... her face kinda looks like the sheltie mix my neighbor had.... :confused: ??? I dunno, but she definately is a cutie.:thumbs up

SunGurl372
August 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM
:D Half chihuahua / Half North American Fence Jumper????

Not particularly helpful, I know. I own a mix myself and have come to the ultimate conclusion that I'll never know what exactly she is. But its always fun to guess!

Angies Man
August 29th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Looks like long haired chihuaaawwwaaa. :) And who cares what else? Looks like a great little dog. I've liked the long haired chiwwawwa (chiwawwai?) I've met--the one's I've met were calmer and friendlier than the shorthaired ones I've met

Che-wa-wa?

Chew wow wa?

I dunno!:eek: Another reason I like having a poodle, I can spell it!

MotherOfLady
August 29th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Fence jumper! You got that right! LOL She is always getting out the back yard. I don't quite understand why she does it though, cause she goes straight to the front door and lays there until you let her in. Never runs off.

We put chicken wire over the fence to try and deter her, but she climbs it like a ladder!

Oh and I might add she's about 11 inches tall, 18 inches long, and weighs 13 lbs, if that helps at all.

Thanks for all the compliments! She is a very sweet girl. She was a hot mess when we first saw her there. FULL of fleas, completely all bone, mats in her hair, just looked deathly. She had clearly been in the elements on her own for quite awhile. So we just couldn't leave her there.

I really don't understand why a shelter would not make any effort to clean them up, groom them, or treat them for ticks and fleas.

OntarioGreys
August 29th, 2006, 08:35 PM
colouring and body length might suggest a tad of dachshund in her

Melei'sMom
August 30th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I love her face! no clue what she might be mixed with, but she looks like she is wearing glasses! beyond adorable!:D :dog:

Violeta
August 30th, 2006, 02:01 PM
don't have an idea but she is really cute, very beautifull face :)

dogmelissa
August 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM
My first thought was part Daxi as well... perhaps long-haired daschund? Does she seem to have a longer-than-normal-chiuahua torso (from shoulders to hips)?

As for your shelter question; though you find it hard to believe, and as sad as it is, most shelters don't have the time or resources to do more than house, feed and medically treat only the animals that can't survive without it. Especially when it's a shelter where animals have a limited time (whether that's a matter of days or up to month), they usually can't spare resources for an animal that they can't guarantee is going to leave their shelter in the care of a human being. If they spend $50 on a groomer, another $50 on flea treatment, and she ended up being euthanized, how is that a good way to spend their money? I know, it's horrible, but unfortunately, that's the way it is in shelters across north america. When I was working at the shelter here, I saw way too many times how the vets had to choose; "if we fix this dog's leg, will we be able to get the cost of it back from adopters?" One dog in particular I remember, and she had 2 surgeries on her leg, mucho mucho drug treatment, and special "water therapy" time with staff (myself included). It was a huge risk to take on a dog, but something about her made them decide she was worth the risk. The typical cost at the time to adopt a dog was $125. Her fees were somewhere in the order of $500 (the vet who did the surgery gave a discounted fee because it was the shelter who brought her there). Still less than you'd pay for a purebred dog, but an awful lot more than other dogs in the shelter who might have been "just as good". But some really awesome people were called, who'd been looking for her specific breed, and they came in, fell in love with her (she was and still is my all-time favorite dog I worked with there), and gladly paid her adoption fee. In fact, if I remember correctly, they paid more than was requested.

Anyhow... I hope that answers your question. And next time someone asks you what kind of dog you have, reply "friendly". :) She's a cutie! Enjoy & thanks for rescuing her.

Melissa

Mahealani770
September 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I am crackin the hell up at work, reading Angie's Man's hilarious attempts at spelling Chihuahua. I can totally hear you pronouncing it! This one was the best: Chew Wow Wa
HAHAHAHA!

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
What a sweet little face. Whatever she is it's 100% cute. :D