Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A lesson on how to quote other posters

Puppyluv
August 29th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I've noticed lately that a lot of people don't know how to quote people, and some people just copy and paste it, so it looks like the quote is part of the replying person's post. Thus, to help educate those who don't know how to quote, and make it easier to read for all, I have copied my instructions from the thread jack thread:

How do you cut and paste what someone else said so that you can respond to it? :confused:

There are a couple of ways to do it, I'll show you how I do it with a post of TD's (just because it is an easy one to break up):

1) At the post, click the "quote" button as if you were just going to respond to the whole message en masse. You get the following:
Remember the difference between cats and dogs...

Dogs come when you call them. Cats take a message and get back to you when they are good and ready.

Dogs will give you unconditional love forever. Cats will make you pay for every mistake you"ve ever made since the day you were born.

Dogs will let you give them a bath without taking out a contract on your life.

Dogs will tilt their heads and listen whenever you talk. Cats will yawn and close their eyes.

Dogs will bark to wake you up if the house is on fire. Cats will quietly sneak out the back door.

Dogs will sit, lie down, and heel on command. Cats will smirk and walk away.

Dogs will bring you your slippers or the evening newspaper. Cats might bring you a dead mouse.

Dogs will greet you and lick your face when you come home from work. Cats will be mad that you went to work at all.

Dogs will play Frisbee with you all afternoon. Cats will take a three hour nap.

Dogs will sit on the car seat next to you. Cats have to have their own private box or they will not go at all.

Let's say you want to respond to indvidual items in the post, but don't care about some of them, you delete the ones you don't care about and get:

Dogs will bark to wake you up if the house is on fire. Cats will quietly sneak out the back door.

Dogs will bring you your slippers or the evening newspaper. Cats might bring you a dead mouse.

Dogs will greet you and lick your face when you come home from work. Cats will be mad that you went to work at all.

Now you want to comment on each of these items, copy and paste the closing quote thingy ([/QUOTE]) after all points, (I have inserted a space between / and QUOTE so that it doesn't end the quote, just so you can see) you get:

Dogs will let you give them a bath without taking out a contract on your life.[/ QUOTE]

Dogs will bark to wake you up if the house is on fire. Cats will quietly sneak out the back door.[/ QUOTE]

Dogs will bring you your slippers or the evening newspaper. Cats might bring you a dead mouse.[/ QUOTE]

Now, copy and paste the opening quote thingy () before each section, you get:

[QUOTE=Technodoll]Remember the difference between cats and dogs...

Now resond to each item, you get:

HA!!! Try giving my parents' dog a bath...you will come out of it soaking, filthy, and covered in black fur :evil:

Sadly, I think Lay might sleep right through it, thinking I turned on the heater. If I'm lucky, she might go to the shower to lie on the marble because she's hot, and I might notice it, but none of that barking..:rolleyes:

Only if you don't mind the newspaper shredded and the slipper soaking wet.:eek:

Awwww soooo true! (Thank god, I was worried Layla might be a cat!)

Mahealani770
August 29th, 2006, 01:24 PM
lol...thanks Puppuluv, but I can't seem to get the 'original post by...' part to show up!?!

Puppyluv
August 29th, 2006, 01:28 PM
lol...thanks Puppuluv, but I can't seem to get the 'original post by...' part to show up!?!

If it looks like this (without the spaces) then it will work:

[QUOTE=Mahealani770 ]lol...thanks Puppuluv, but I can't seem to get the 'original post by...' part to show up!?![ /QUOTE]

phoenix
August 29th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Alternatively, there is a quote button on the message box. You can cut/paste something into your message and then highlight it, then press the quote button. It is located above the typing box, below the arrows for undo/redo, and looks like a cartoon character's talk bubble.

Mahealani770
August 29th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Geez this is complicated....let me try again....
Alternatively, there is a quote button on the message box. You can cut/paste something into your message and then highlight it, then press the quote button. It is located above the typing box, below the arrows for undo/redo, and looks like a cartoon character's talk bubble.

Mahealani770
August 29th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Wooo Hooo!! It worked, but I had to put in Phoenix's name and then type the = sign in order to get it to say "original quote by Phoenix". Is there a way to capture all of that without me having to go in and manually do that?

phoenix
August 29th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Wooo Hooo!! It worked, but I had to put in Phoenix's name

woo hoo!
congrats mahealani!

I think you do have to do it manually unless you do what I just did (which is, quote the whole thing and edit it after.

:thumbs up

LibbyP
August 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM
woo hoo!
congrats mahealani!

I think you do have to do it manually unless you do what I just did (which is, quote the whole thing and edit it after.

:thumbs up

I was able to do it when I first tried acouple posts back but I cannot seem to figure it out now, Thanks for your help Puppyluv, I'm sure this drives you crazy;) (remember it took me alittle while to post a pic - hee hee hee what the heck now it worked ?

LibbyP
August 29th, 2006, 03:00 PM
[/QUOTE=LibbyP]I was able to do it when I first tried acouple posts back but I cannot seem to figure it out now, Thanks for your help Puppyluv, I'm sure this drives you crazy;) (remember it took me alittle while to post a pic - hee hee hee what the heck now it worked ?[/QUOTE]

and now? see now I don't know what I'm doing?

Puppyluv
August 29th, 2006, 03:05 PM
[/QUOTE=LibbyP]I was able to do it when I first tried acouple posts back but I cannot seem to figure it out now, Thanks for your help Puppyluv, I'm sure this drives you crazy;) (remember it took me alittle while to post a pic - hee hee hee what the heck now it worked ?[/ QUOTE]

and now? see now I don't know what I'm doing?

Get rid of the big red /

LibbyP
August 29th, 2006, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=Puppyluv]Get rid of the big red /[QUOTE] did that work? Nope so WTF I'm going to give up as I don't see the red /

phoenix
August 29th, 2006, 04:56 PM
lol

the "/" is in the wrong place at the end (put it inside the brackets)

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=Puppyluv]Get rid of the big red /[QUOTE] did that work? Nope so WTF I'm going to give up as I don't see the red /
K, wait...

A quote should look like this, only with quote spelled properly:

I've noticed lately that a lot of people don't know how to quote people

Is that ok? You have to do EXACTLY that (only spell quote right)- including the caps, the brackets and the /.
If you quote manually, you have to stick in the = name yourself.

Puppyluv
August 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM
LOL we need one of those thingies that LewisW made for "how to post attachments"

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I don't know how you'd show it in pics...:D

LibbyP
August 29th, 2006, 05:46 PM
LOL we need one of those thingies that LewisW made for "how to post attachments"

That's how I finally figured how to post a pic, it worked awesome

Mahealani770
August 30th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Ok, my turn....
That's how I finally figured how to post a pic, it work awesome

Dammit! I guess you do have to put in the persons name manually.

Mahealani770
August 30th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Let's try this again...
That's how I finally figured how to post a pic, it work awesome

Ok, got it! Thanks!

erykah1310
September 4th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Let's try this again...

Ok, got it! Thanks!

Did I do it too???

erykah1310
September 4th, 2006, 11:07 AM