Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rant about food.........sometime the dog wins

dogcatharmony
August 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM
:mad: i just finished reading a post that made me a little ticked off........we all are intitled to our own opinions but this one got under my skin. i wish i knew how to use quotes so i could include it in my thread but any way it was about people who should not own dogs..........people who feed purina puppy chow. okay anyways i own a dog.... a happy, healthy,spayed ,all shots etc well cared for dog but she eats purina dog chow........and ate purina puppy chow as she grew up. when i recieved her she was eating ol'roy and i have tried numerous foods and she refuses to eat them. i have tried vet foods, summit, eagle, performatrin and the list goes on. i have tried varietys of food that had three kinds of meat....veggies....and that list goes on to. i have so many different bags of "healthy" food in my pantry that she will not eat. i have even asked the vet about when i try the new food ( yes iknow to only mix so much in when changing food) how long she should go without eating. the vet said a dog will not starve itself. apparently my dog will. even the vet finally said well if it is dog chow she wants then he sees no harm in feeding it to her. she also does not eat the various dog treats u can buy, she will not touch wet food, and as for human food she turns her nose up to everything except chicken. OH and MONEY is not a factor in this either.....i would go without just so my dog could have.............so can someone tell me how i supposedly should not own a dog because of what she eats?????

technodoll
August 29th, 2006, 10:52 AM
i wouldn't say you fall into that category, you are obviously well-educated on the dog food issue and have done your possible, you care about your pet and want the best for it! :)

i think what was stated was ... people who think Dog Chow is the best value for the money and don't think twice about it, you know? that is the difference. people who will drop $25 on a case of beer & pizza but won't spend more than $9.99 for a 40 lbs bag of dog food, cuz "it's just a dog". :(

and a dog food is only as good as the dog will eat it, IMO... some dogs, exceptionally, will go for days without eating and then only eat the bare minimum to survive on foods X,Y,Z, no matter what you do to them. I used to have such a dog... thank goodness he's different now, mostly thanks to a homeopathic treatment we're giving him (turns out his liver & pancreas needed to be detoxed, now he has appetite and will eat anything!) . Have you considered bringing your dog to see a homeopathic vet? They see puzzling cases like this all the time and are quite successfull with natural treatments. i used to doubt it but not anymore! :thumbs up

:pawprint:

dogcatharmony
August 29th, 2006, 11:40 AM
hmmmmmmm thankyou for your thoughts........i will have to look up a homeopathic vet in my area. i have always found my dogs eating habits to be strange.........she picks like a cat and usually eats half a cup to a cup of food every two days. she doesnt eat like normal dogs.......she has never cleaned her bowl out and tried to lick the pattern off the dog dish thinking it was more food. i also find it strange that when food falls she shows no interest in it at all unless it is chicken ( she would raid a henhouse if she could lol). these were all concerns of mine that i have voiced to my vet and he finds nothing odd about it. she is a 50lb dog that eats like a bird she never "wolfs" anything. he said she is healthy just a trifle odd and told me dont worry. maybe it is time for a second opinion. once again thankyou

rainbow
August 29th, 2006, 12:29 PM
You have a very pretty girl there.

I agree with TD. She has Akitas too and the homeopathic vet certainly helped her Dakotah. :thumbs up

dogcatharmony
August 29th, 2006, 01:18 PM
thank you rainbow..........but surprise surprise she is not an akita........i have many people that think she is but she is a product of a midnight fling from her momma( a norweigan elkhound) and her papa ( chow chow). out of 6 in the litter she is the only one that looks like this......all the others look like a chow chow big fuzzy furballs.

technodoll
August 29th, 2006, 01:23 PM
too funny! i also thought she looked akita-ish :) these fussy northern breeds... sigh. i feel your pain! :pawprint:

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Is it too late to agree? Feeding your dog a holistic diet when they have allergies to it or refuse to eat it is just as bad as feeding Ol' Roy and not knowing what is in it, IMO. If your dog is doing well on a particular food and you've tried feeding other, better foods without success, then you have no choice. I say, as long as you know what you're feeding and you are adequately informed and you accept it :shrug:.:)

dogcatharmony
August 29th, 2006, 06:29 PM
i really dont want to accept it but i have no choice.........i would love to see her eating something healthy........i personally dont like feeding her dog chow but so far it has been a two year struggle to change her food and i swear i have tried every brand possible..........my pantry looks like a food supply warehouse ( i tried to see if i could donate the food to the local humane society but was told they do not accept opened bags). whenever i mix a new food in hers she will hold out and u can tell she is starving........once i waited 3 days...and then spoke to the vet and like i said earlier he told me a dog would not starve themself.....so i waited another day and found her stealing the cat food ......and the best is she wont eat cat food either if it is left out. even if i pick the different kibble from the dog chow she will not eat the dog chow( its like it has been contaminated or something) if i could only explain to her how much better a food could be...............:yell: but it still doesnt make me a bad owner because my dog chooses to be a weirdo lol. she can be as weird as she wants.........i love my baby and will do (even if i know its wrong) what she wants:shrug:

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 06:31 PM
but it still doesnt make me a bad owner because my dog chooses to be a weirdo lol. she can be as weird as she wants.........i love my baby and will do (even if i know its wrong) what she wants:shrug:No, it doesn't make you a bad owner. :grouphug: Just makes you the owner of a crazy dog.:D

Golden Girls
August 29th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Ohh she's is beautiful dogcatharmany :love: What is her name?

I can understanding your frustration ... not all dogs have huge appetites. I worry all the time. One of my dogs would literally duck if I gave her a t-bone steak :confused:

If she will only eat dog chow oh well give her that. Or maybe if you can sneak a springle of the good stuff in here and there and gradually increase? If that doesn't work maybe throw in potatoes and veggies?

Writing4Fun
August 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Maybe you can try mixing in half a can of the good stuff? :shrug: Very few dogs don't like canned, and at least you won't be out a whole whack of dough if she doesn't like it, only a couple of buck for the one can.

She is very beautiful, btw! :love: Love the black markings on her face and ears. :D

dogcatharmony
August 29th, 2006, 07:16 PM
thankyou so much prin and golden. her name is zoe . as for potatoes and veggies she wont touch them... i bought a kong and tried some recipes.....she wouldnt touch it. i tried a sweet potatoe and she killed it ( u know how they roll in stinky stuff........well she did that and then growled at it) same with veggies......many a piece of broccoli has died a hard death at her hands. get this..........her very favorite treat in the world is an ice cube. she hears you crack a tray and she comes running like its the end of the world and she will munch half a tray with a smile on her face. give her a milk bone and she will ignore it. like i said before she only eats chicken.......every saturday she gets half a cup of chicken for a treat and even then she picks a few favorite pieces and ignores the rest. i would hate to see what she would have been in a pack of dogs way way long ago......lol maybe i should have named her prissy..........okay laughing way to hard now

dtbmnec
August 29th, 2006, 07:39 PM
thankyou so much prin and golden. her name is zoe . as for potatoes and veggies she wont touch them... i bought a kong and tried some recipes.....she wouldnt touch it. i tried a sweet potatoe and she killed it ( u know how they roll in stinky stuff........well she did that and then growled at it) same with veggies......many a piece of broccoli has died a hard death at her hands. get this..........her very favorite treat in the world is an ice cube. she hears you crack a tray and she comes running like its the end of the world and she will munch half a tray with a smile on her face. give her a milk bone and she will ignore it. like i said before she only eats chicken.......every saturday she gets half a cup of chicken for a treat and even then she picks a few favorite pieces and ignores the rest. i would hate to see what she would have been in a pack of dogs way way long ago......lol maybe i should have named her prissy..........okay laughing way to hard now

And I thought my CATS were nuts.... :p

lol

Wow....I just...wow...lol :)

Megan

Cathy1
August 29th, 2006, 07:55 PM
When I first got Duke we had a hard time finding food he would eat and while he was at the vets she couldn't get him to eat anything but cat food so she said to try any dog food that had small bites. So now he eats Nutro Lamb & Rice small bites. The vet said it wasn't very good food but it was better than not eating at all. He is a Shepherd/Collie but loves everything small.

LM1313
August 29th, 2006, 08:07 PM
LOL . . . My parents' cat is like that, she'll only eat Friskies. She MAY deign to eat a tiny amount of tuna flavored cat food, but if you give her too much she won't touch it. If you offer her cheese or real chicken, she gives you her paranoid "you're trying to poison me, aren't you? AREN'T YOU??!!" look. :p

But she doesn't have allergies to it and is in great shape (the vet always comments on her coat and asks us what we feed her), so all's well that ends well. :D

Incidentally, I took my cat Remy over to my folks' house once . . . Phantom was safely outside . . . and he immediately wolfed down Phantom's entire bowl of Friskies like it was the greatest stuff on earth. :eek: This is the cat who nibbles half-heartedly at Natural Balance or Nutro.

Edit: I don't know about dogs, but some cats WILL literally starve themselves to death. It's not common, but it can happen.

technodoll
August 29th, 2006, 08:20 PM
question for you... since zoe loves chicken... would you be game to try something? take a chicken leg & trim the skin off, slash the meat, then quickly sear the leg in a hot pan (about 15-30 seconds on each side) and see if she likes that. Yes, a raw, bone-in chicken leg. she may look at you like you're from Mars but then... she might grab the "real food" and make like a wolf... some dogs just don't do kibble :shrug: and if by any chance she *does* like the raw food... it's a thousand times better than Purina chow :)

dtbmnec
August 29th, 2006, 08:43 PM
If you offer her cheese or real chicken, she gives you her paranoid "you're trying to poison me, aren't you? AREN'T YOU??!!" look. :p

Lol if my cats even *THINK* some cheese has dropped on the floor they attack it like its the last thing on the planet to eat.

If its meat they will attempt to climb up my leg to get at it...I've also caught them eyeing the stove with cooking meat on it since they could theoretically get up there. Fortunately I tend to stand in the way of their path however I have no doubt that one of these days I will have to take the boys in for burns. *sigh*

Megan

dogcatharmony
August 29th, 2006, 08:57 PM
lol.............maybe thats is what is wrong.............she has been around my picky cats for far too long:D as for trying raw food ( thankyou td) i have tried various food items..........the chicken got buried in my laundry, a raw bone got buried in the kitty litter (must have been sneaky that night cuz the kitties bathroom is blocked off...)and we have the burial behind the fridge and so on..............im telling u she is nuts.........she doesn't act doglike at all...........wish i could video tape it and have u watch it. even when i took her to puppy obediance she was the only dog who would work for no treats. they had hotdogs for rewards and she would take it in her mouth and then spit it on the floor. same as when people try to give her snacks ( say at a picnic or family supper) she will politely mouth the food and then spit it somewhere under the table. and here is one more funny thing.........i tried smaller bites of kibble.......she ignored it but my one cat who has never eaten dry food in her life came down and ate the dry dog food...............the dog didnt even protect her dish .....it was like if you want it , eat it, maybe i will get something better later.

technodoll
August 29th, 2006, 09:01 PM
yep, sounds like miss zoe is special all right! :crazy: i totally feel your pain though, it's so hard having a dog that's "different" and you do sooo much for them but eh. it doesn't work. the ONLY thing i could suggest you, at this point, would be to consult a reputable holistic vet in your area and see what they have to say. you never know! :shrug:

ps: more photos of zoe? pretty please? :)

Frenchy
August 29th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Wow,I was sure Zoe was an Akita too.Beautiful girl.What a picky eater! I think you're right,she has been hanging around the cats too much :D

dogcatharmony
August 29th, 2006, 10:40 PM
i posted some more pics...........its under photography.............it got moved.....................

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah, that's where it's supposed to go.. It's pet photography. :D Don't worry, people hit the "new posts" at the top and see everything all jumbled together.

LM1313
August 30th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Lol if my cats even *THINK* some cheese has dropped on the floor they attack it like its the last thing on the planet to eat.

See, that's what my cats are like too. They want ANYTHING I'm eating, even if it's orange jello! (Remy actually really likes jello. :eek: )

But not Miss Phantom! She is so unmotivated by food you can't believe it. You know how they say that people should make friends with cats by feeding them treats? Well, if a stranger tosses Phantom a treat, she just gives them a kind of sneer by lifting one side of her lip. It's not the flehming reaction either, I know what that looks like. No, the message is clearly, "I'm not taking anything from YOU!" :rolleyes:

rainbow
August 30th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Well. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought she resembled an akita. :D

So, what do you think about taking Zoe to a holistic vet that has helped TD's Dakotah so much with his pickiness?

dogcatharmony
August 30th, 2006, 09:35 PM
i have been looking into it........but so far for my area i havent found a single one. i live in sault ste marie.........im going to check the michagian directory and maybe the sudbury directory...........hope i can find one near by

technodoll
August 30th, 2006, 09:42 PM
does this help?... i count about 30 holistic vets for ontario... vs 3 for quebec. crazy.....

http://www.pets4life.com/index.php?p=research/hvet

:fingerscr

dogcatharmony
August 30th, 2006, 09:57 PM
thanks td...........there are two, espanola and lively that are 3 hours away from me. one has an email addy so im going to send one. still checking across the river seeing i live in a border town maybe something a little closer if she needs to go frequently:confused: but thank you very much ....that made my search alot faster

rainbow
August 30th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I would also suggest checking yourself as I know there's one in a town about 35 miles from me that is not listed on that site. ;)