Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

yorkshire terrier feeding?

gizmeau
August 29th, 2006, 08:41 AM
my little 6 month old yorkie seems to prefer cat food to dog food. Is this a problem or are they the same?

OntarioGreys
August 29th, 2006, 12:17 PM
They are not the same, the nutrient/protein levels are different

Puppyluv
August 29th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Why are you even giving your yorkie the option of cat food? If your profile is correct, and you only have the one pet, you have no reason to buy the cat food, so stop, and your dog won't eat it anymore.

gizmeau
August 29th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I don't buy catfood, when we go to visit my daughter (who owns a cat) my yorkie will eat it all and ask for more, which is why I was asking if it was ok to give him some

Puppyluv
August 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Cat diets are made primarily of meat and meat products, so in the long run they can be too rich for dogs and can cause digestive problems. They are also denser in calories than dog diets, so they can lead to obesity in dogs. Because of the additional fat and calories, cat food often tastes better to dogs than dog food does, so you may have to keep an eye on your dog to make sure he doesn't indulge in the kitty kibbles.

I would reccomend that when you visit your daughter, put the cat food out of reach of your Yorkie, so that only the cat can get at it.

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Dogs generally eat cat food if they have the chance to. Whenever my dogs (or any dog I know) goes to a house with a cat, the first thing they do when they settle down is go for the cat food.:shrug:

Cat food is not for dogs. As long as you feed a balanced doggy diet with enough protein, your doggy will be ok. :)

rainbow
August 30th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I agree with Puppyluv.