- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Poor Kittens! - Intro thread

August 28th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I am new and have made a few posts already 'cause I'm having trouble with a litter of kittens and sick mother.
I have 2 inside and one outside...Both are kennel saved dogs.
One Cocker Spaniel Mix named Mitzi and an old 11 yr old (hav had her since she was 5 weeks old) named Gretta...Doberman/Shepherd mix.
One inside cat named Allie...(Allie Cat) also rescued from Amish Restaurant that was closing down for a season a cpl yrs ago.....when they close in the fall, nobody is around to fed the cats so most don't make it. I volunteered to take whichever one they caught first....she must have been the slowest!!!! Now she's a "chubby well fed!"
Mother of 3 daughters as well (1 teen :eek: and 2 pre-teen :p ).

August 29th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Hi and Welcome canning4aliving, I Hope you are finding the information and tips that you are needing, this is a great forum with tons of members from all different backgrounds to offer assistance. It's very kind of you to help with all those unwanted animals:thumbs up WOW must be some :crazy: times with three girls at that age, mine are still little so I have many years to prepare myself for the next stages:rolleyes: we'll see

August 29th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Hello canning4aliving welcome!

I can surely understand this face :eek:. I have one of my own as well. Only thing is mine's a boy. :rolleyes:

I do hope your kitties & their mommy get better! :pray:

A Victor ~ Not A Victim

August 31st, 2006, 09:00 PM
Took a while but I finally convinced the vet to sell me some Albon without a visit. (I took the kittens to the local shelter for help (the person who runs it is one of my best friends)). Anyway, she has a lot of experience with ill kittens and she actually did a test on the stool. It is Coccidia. (Glad it's not Guiardia). anyway, she gave me acpl days worth of meds and called the vet for me. (he is the vet for the shelter too). He sold me some Albon to treat these little fellas (ok, 2 of each...2G 2 bys). Gonna get their 4 treatment tonight and I think we are finally on the upswing here. The smallest survivor is still the one I am watching....not sure about him yet but I've not given up hope.
Tried to supplement feed the kittens so mama could have a break one in a while but since I've been pushing meds for the last week on them, they will NOT eat from a bottle for me. :confused: I sure hope mama can hold on long enough to keep the kittens alive until they can eat from a bowl. mama is eating and drinking well still...poo's more than she eats tho. Can't wait to see a little weight gain on her...she's soooo thin! :pray: she gets better!

August 31st, 2006, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the board. Kudos to you for rescuing all your pets. :highfive:

Hope momma and the babies continue to do well. Keep us posted. :fingerscr :fingerscr

September 5th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Just an update for those interested....Seems the kittens are doing better but Mom is still having trouble with loose stools. I'm afraid I am gonna lose her before long but hoping at the same time she will get better after she is done nursing. Tomorrow is the last day of meds given by Vet. I am gonna call and ask if I can do anything for the problem at the "Business end" of the cat. Not sure what is left to do for her. She has been thru so much already at her young age.....just not sure how long she can take this weakness. I've done everything I can do at this point. The vet isn't really useful in helping me either at this point. He is probably tired of hearing from me. If someone has an idea to help her let me know. At this point I'm open to suggestions for her!

September 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM
How can any vet not want to help. If this mommy is ill, how can he sit around and be bothered your calls. She obviously needs some sort of intervention. WHat do pregnant cats need most while nursing...I am sure someone on this panel can help. or get yourseld another vet who cares about animals.

September 5th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Been thru the wringer so to speak with this one.....many issues here....I think most are posted elsewhere. She has Ciccidia and is on last day of anti-biotics. Was given an 8% chance of survival. (had 6 kittens...down to 4 now but 4 seem to B healthy). She isn't fully recoverd as of yet. been to the Vet 4 times already..he is stumped too I think. Keep thinking......I know I am!

September 5th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Please take momma kitty to a different vet. :fingerscr :cat: