Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eagle Pack holistic Duck meal weird chemical smell

kaoumaby
August 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I just bought a big bag of Eagle Pack for dog (Duck meat) and I have a sample too. I opened the bag and it smells weird (a strong smell of chemical conservation) very different from the sample that smells like normal meat. Is it normal ? Is it the plastic it was sealed into ? The expiration date is december 2006. I'm not sure I'll give that to my dog. Have you ever heard of that before with Eagle Pack Duck formula?

rainbow
August 28th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I don't use Eagle Pack but I would return the food to the store where you bought it as they should replace it with a new bag or even exchange it for a different brand. ;)

technodoll
August 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
eagle pack gave my dog horrible cannon-butt, he would eat 1 cup and poop 2!! :yuck: for both the chicken forumla and the fish. oh well... i returned both bags to the store for a refund. the food did smell good though (for a kibble! LOL)

RaYne
August 28th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Nope not normal.. Definitetly return that bag. I had a bag of the duck and it didn't smell like that. It stinks.. to me.. but it doesn't smell like chemicals.

I feed the holistic fish and holistic chicken (Dog with tummy troubles gets the fish and my pup gets the chicken). Neither have ever smelled funky. Well the fish one smells nasty but that's normal. LOL

Dogastrophe
August 29th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I switched mine over to EP Duck a few months ago. Each bag (about 4 now) all smelled fine - no wierd odours. I would guess that you have a bad bag (perhaps there was a hole in the bag / seal that you did not notice). Most stores will take it back for a refund, exchange, etc.

rainbow
August 30th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Kaoumaby, did you return the food?