Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Name suggestions

OntarioGreys
August 27th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Puppy fever finally won, I was approved I pick him up next Saturday afternoon.

Now I need some suggestions for a name

http://ccrested.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/august17th118.jpg

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
OMG!!! He's so adorable in a strange and funny way. I think he's a Heath, or maybe a Vinnie Barbarino.:D

the gang
August 27th, 2006, 08:02 PM
omgod just too cute!!! what type of dog is he??? i think he is a c.j. best of luck brenda and the gang:angel:

badger
August 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM
......Ringo.

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I kinda like Vinnie. Or maybe Enrique or Juan. He sorta looks like he has a mullet :p , so maybe Bubba or BillyBob. :D Congratulations on your new addition. :thumbs up

LavenderRott
August 27th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Well - you just have to name him Krull the Warrior King! After the Chinese Crested in the movie "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" with Kate Hudson.

PetFriendly
August 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM
How about Biscuit as in Sea biscuit?

or what about Ben as in Big Ben?

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Well - you just have to name him Krull the Warrior King! After the Chinese Crested in the movie "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" with Kate Hudson.
That's awesome! I forgot about him.:D I thought it was "Krawl"...:o

W4F- Billybob was my next one- with the black on top and white on the bottom? :D

LavenderRott
August 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Billy Ray Cyrus is a hottie and he has a mullet.

technodoll
August 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
what a beautiful crested, wow :thumbs up

what about "Tao"? means long life in the chinese culture... or "Chango".

whatever you name him, he's absolutely stunning. what's his story? :)

glasslass
August 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM
OMG! How cute! My first thought was he looked like a little painted pony. Then I saw his feet and thought Clydesdale! Don't know why I'm being so horsey here:confused: He looks like a little "Rascal".

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Then I saw his feet and thought Clydesdale!
GlassLass, that's perfect! Clyde! :D

rainbow
August 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I like Vinnie or Clyde too. :D

Here's some Chinese names if you're leaning that way:

http://www.cat-dog-names.com/chinese-dog-names.html

Angies Man
August 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Valentino (the latin lover) "Tino" for short.

Puppyluv
August 27th, 2006, 11:32 PM
He looks pretty smooth and therefore.... Hoff :p

I really want to reccomend a sleaze ball name, but I would feel bad for the doggy (and for you, calling him in the park :p)

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I really want to reccomend a sleaze ball name...
Wouldn't "Hoff" qualify? :p :D

rainbow
August 27th, 2006, 11:41 PM

Ha Ha Ha... good one. :highfive:

rainbow
August 27th, 2006, 11:43 PM
OG, btw, I forgot to say how cute that little guy is. And, how did you manage to hide him?

Puppyluv
August 27th, 2006, 11:45 PM

NO! No it wouldn't! None of you are funny! You are obviously short of sleep and can't think clearly.:p

poodletalk
August 28th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Clydesdale!

It would be cute if you called him Clyde or Clydesdale. That is what my parents called their Irish Wolfhound mix....

mummummum
August 28th, 2006, 11:14 AM
What a serious little face he has OntarioGreys! And what will the poor beastie think when he has to look waaaaaayyyy up to see the rest of your four-legged family? With his mop-top, he looks a little like an Elvis impersonator to me. Is there a Chinese equivalent translation name for Elvis? He certainly is a handsome little lad though. Congrats !!

cpietra16
August 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I can't even tell you why, but when I saw him, the first picture that came to mind was Antonio Banderas
http://www.antoniobanderasfans.com/

I would call him Antonio, tony, Banderas...:D

spud
August 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM
oh, I like antonio...or...how about LEO??
let us know what you decide!! You have so many cool names to choose from!
spud

mummummum
August 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM
17827 Zorro !!!

OntarioGreys
August 28th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Great name ideas, keep them coming, I want to wait till he has been here for a couple of days to decided on what suits him as mention he is a chinese crested

I have always wanted a horse since I was a little girl, but a back injury almost 15 years ended that dream as I would never be abole to care for one on my own So possibly this is why this particular puppy is so appealing to me as it reminds of a pony, but the puppy itch has been with me for about the last 4 years, even while Maya went through her furniture chewing and whiny stage due to anxiety , and peeing in the house because she was too afraid to go outside :rolleyes:
OG, btw, I forgot to say how cute that little guy is. And, how did you manage to hide him?
I don't get him till Saturday. being he is 10 lbs and won't get much bigger I should not have too much troubles
I have a section of yard that is pretty secluded lots of shrubbery next to the house which also protected from heavier snowfall which I will enclose in because of his size he is too small to be with the other dogs in the yard if they are running around so he would have had to be taken outside seperately or would have had to have his own area any way. For leash walks I can take him out with Maya who I need to drive to the conservation area a couple of blocks away because she is unable to handle city traffic yet.
An my van is more than plenty big enough to transport 4 dogs.

whatever you name him, he's absolutely stunning. what's his story?

He is from a breeder who is getting out of the business because they simply do not have the time that it takes anymore, he is from their second last litter and is being sold as a pet only, they have a pretty strict contract which has discouraged a lot potential buyers, which includes no reselling no transfer of ownership, and even if I wanted to euthanize due to a health/behaviour problem the breeder must be called first if they do not agree with the decision they will take over care and they have rejected quite a few people who have requested him His parents are cerf certified and checked for patella problems and x-rayed for Legg-Calve-Perthes and a they include a 2 year health guarantee.

technodoll
August 28th, 2006, 09:43 PM
is being sold as a pet only, they have a pretty strict contract which has discouraged a lot potential buyers, which includes no reselling no transfer of ownership, and even if I wanted to euthanize due to a health/behaviour problem the breeder must be called first if they do not agree with the decision they will take over care and they have rejected quite a few people who have requested him His parents are cerf certified and checked for patella problems and x-rayed for Legg-Calve-Perthes and a they include a 2 year health guarantee.

exact same here with dakotah... the breeder is very strict about whom she sells to and the (non-breeding, in our case) contract is like 15 pages long :eek: but i feel very "safe" knowing she is there should anything happen to us (god forbid). sounds like this little guy is going to be very welcomed in your home, wow his own yard! :cloud9:

Frenchy
August 28th, 2006, 09:55 PM
How about Dweezil,Ahmet...Ziggy ?

SunGurl372
August 29th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Ruffian (after the race horse)

Mahealani770
August 29th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I love "Dweezil", "Tao" or "Chango". Good luck OG!

PetFriendly
August 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I have a section of yard that is pretty secluded lots of shrubbery next to the house which also protected from heavier snowfall which I will enclose in because of his size he is too small to be with the other dogs in the yard if they are running around so he would have had to be taken outside seperately or would have had to have his own area any way. For leash walks I can take him out with Maya who I need to drive to the conservation area a couple of blocks away because she is unable to handle city traffic yet.
An my van is more than plenty big enough to transport 4 dogs.

Why do you think you're going to have to keep him seperate? You'd be surprised how quickly the big dogs will figure out where he is and how best to avoid stepping on him. Sure he's small but 10 lbs isn't that small even compared to the grey hounds and he doesn't look all that frail. Charley (7 inches tall and 15 lbs) prefers playing with big dogs and his best play pals are a 50 lbs staff terrier and a 75 lbs golden retriever.

As far as leash walks go, go to your nearest outdoors store and see if you can find some sort of canvas shoulder bag. When you leave for a walk, put him in the bag, when you get far enough away from your house that passers by won't know where you live, take him out. The little guys need way more exercise that you'd expect.

papillonmama
August 30th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Okay, I say Bert, from sesame street, cause he looks like he has a uni-brow.

or Fez from that 70's show cause he looks so suave.

Or just plain ole Harry.

You are so lucky, I couldn't read your puppy fever thread, 'cause I have puppy envy, now it's even worse.

:love: He's soo cute:love: .

Now I have to go and talk to the hubby again.:fingerscr

OntarioGreys
September 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
he is home now and introductions have went extremely well, better than I could have dreamed,he is currently napping on my lap in his new bed, so far he is a little subdued and scared I am sure that will soon change :rolleyes: , of course it had to be cold and wet for his first day in his new home, which he is not to thrilled with, luckily I ordered a couple fleece playsuits so should arrive this week and he should be a little more comfortable.
What do you think of my gremlins new suit :p
http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/01/b5/ed_1.JPG
I am going to have fun dressing him up :D
Why do you think you're going to have to keep him seperate? You'd be surprised how quickly the big dogs will figure out where he is and how best to avoid stepping on him.Sure he's small but 10 lbs isn't that small even compared to the grey hounds and he doesn't look all that frail.

I have 2 greys that can get up to 30 miles an hour plus in a couple of steps, stopping if a dog runs in front of them can't be managed as fast, even with greyhound who have collides bones can be shattered, one woman had her femur broken when her grey clipped her, for the safety of both the little one so he accidently does not get trampled or so the greys do not stumble at high speed in order to avoid him which can result in serious injuries I prefer to seperate in the yard. Inside the house they can be together, the greys don't run around inside, they were taught not to run around play chasing the cats. Greyhound puppies sometimes come up for adoption due to broken limbs because their mom accidently stepped on them, and my size range is 10lbs the pup to my largest grey who is 85lbs, he looks heavier in the pictures, his forelegs near his wrists are no bigger around than my thumb.

As for the name I kind of liked Vinnie but also the horse theme name

so I combined those ideas and have decided on Winnie.

Shaykeija
September 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
I kinda like Puff
:rolleyes:

cpietra16
September 2nd, 2006, 08:49 PM
I may be biased but I think Winnie is a perfect name:D from one Winnie to another....I know they don't look anything like each other, but:D

glasslass
September 2nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
I know they don't look anything like each other, but:D

You can always put a wig and fringe around his ankles! They'd look just like brothers! Kinda like Swartznegger & DeVito! :D :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Sprite!
When I was growing up we had a Welsch Pony named Sprite - and he kind of looked like that wish I had a pic :D

rainbow
September 2nd, 2006, 10:50 PM
Is it just me, or isn't Winnie short for Winnifred, which is a female name? :confused:

mummummum
September 2nd, 2006, 10:59 PM
Winston maybe? Windemere ? Or is he named in keeping with the horsey-theme as in Whinny ?

rainbow
September 2nd, 2006, 11:32 PM
Oh right, I forgot about that, Winston Churchill and Winnie the Pooh. :o

glasslass
September 3rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Actually, I have a German friend named Winni - short for Winfried (male).

rainbow
September 3rd, 2006, 12:46 AM
I never realized that there were so many male Winnies. I guess it's because I've only ever known two Winnie's in my life, both female. and short for Winnifred. :o

cpietra16
September 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
My Winnie was named after "Winnie the Pooh":D, My Pooh Bear.

OntarioGreys
September 3rd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Or is he named in keeping with the horsey-theme as in Whinny ?

Yep!

You can always put a wig and fringe around his ankles! They'd look just like brothers! Kinda like Swartznegger & DeVito
ROFL then I got Devito :D both bald and commediennes :p

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/DannyDevitoTaxi.jpg

glasslass
September 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
They were in a comedy together years ago, "Twins", playing as long-separated, biological twins.

erykah1310
September 4th, 2006, 10:01 AM
If it was mine, I would call him Lotus, I dont know why but he looks like a Lotus.

spud
September 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM
BRONX thats a macho name!

happycats
September 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM
The Fonz!! that's who he looks like:) ..you have to get him a little black leather jacket!!:D
Or maybe Gizmo (looks like a gremlin)

Or if you want a horse name...Pinto....Palamino...Mustang.....(soundslike car names :crazy: ).what was the "Lone ranger's" horses name again??

we3beagles
September 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Hi Ho SILVER! I like Fortune Cookie. You could call him Fortune for short.

happycats
September 7th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Hi Ho SILVER! I like Fortune Cookie. You could call him Fortune for short.
LOL.....Thanks:)