Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet store woes

Stacer
August 27th, 2006, 06:57 PM
So I'm looking around our new neighbourhood for a pet supply store and I found a pet store that sells dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, etc..., a very small store with tons of animals crammed in. I walk through the door and a tiny little curly puppy comes running for me, so cute. The store didn't have the food that I wanted so I took a look at the animals, I shouldn't have. I'm not sure how animals are supposed to be caged in a pet store, but because the place is so small they just had metal cages sitting on the floor with all manner of animals in them. There were 2 cages of puppies with open tops you can stick your hands in and take them out, prolly 6-7 puppies per cage. They were so sad, all sleepy and barky. I wanted to ask the lady where she gets her puppies and kittens from. I decided to leave because I felt so bad for the little ones. They did have my brand of litter but I decided not to buy from them, I wouldn't have felt very good about it. I'm going to have to widen my search radius for a plain pet supply store, no pet selling. Is there a tactful way to ask a store owner where they get their animals, and after they tell you and you don't like the answer where do you go from there? Has anyone been in a situation like that? I think I might pay another visit and make some inquiries, any advice?

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 07:09 PM
You could always ask, "Are they from a local breeder?" and go from there... I was booted out of a petstore for causing a ruckus once... I asked them why they would sell Chesapeake Bay Retrievers in the middle of the city when they are so clearly not city dogs and would end up in the SPCA really quickly... They said "These are different". I said, "A breed's a breed." After a few more questions about the dogs and how the employee could sleep at night and I was shown the door.:evil:

Poor doggies. :( Poor beasties in general. I don't buy from stores who sell animals.

Stacer
August 27th, 2006, 07:15 PM
That's a good idea. Ask a non threatening question first and see where it heads. I've never done anything like that before so if I end up going back in there it may not go so well, practice makes perfect. :D

rainbow
August 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
You could also print some info from the internet about puppy mill dogs, etc. and then, when you you get asked to leave, you can leave them with the info. :D

Daisy_Mae
August 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I can't set a foot in pet stores that sell animals. I really hate those stores that have puppy's in a display window. They never look healthy and people are always banging on the glass:mad:

Surely there must be some standard as to how many and what condition pet stores keep their pets? Sounds like the store you went to was well beyond their limit (if they have one).

Stacer
August 29th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I did some more looking for a food store and came across a small one run by an older gentleman. He didn't have the dry food or the litter that I buy, but he did have our wet food. This man was soooo nice, he showed me all of the foods that he sells and gave me pamphlets and even calculated how much each bag of food was per pound for me, I didn't even ask him to. I was in there for like 15 minutes talking with him. I bought some wet food from him and am seriously considering switching the cat's food so I can buy from him. Is that weird? Then as I'm heading out the door he tells me to pick a kitty feather toy for the cats free of charge, awwwww, he was the nicest. I'm still going to visit that other store again to ask around.

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 05:29 PM
What brands does he have?

coppperbelle
August 29th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I avoid pet stores that sell puppies or kittens. Sending a message such as this may make a few stores change their mind about selling puppies.

Angies Man
August 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I avoid pet stores that sell puppies or kittens. Sending a message such as this may make a few stores change their mind about selling puppies.

The problem is that they don't get the message.

Stacer
August 30th, 2006, 06:50 PM
What brands does he have?

I can't remember all of the brands, he had Wellness, Eagle Pack, Precise Plus, I think I saw Science Diet, Felidae, alot of familiar packaging, but I can't remember all of the names.

rainbow
August 30th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Felidae is a really good choice. :thumbs up

papillonmama
August 30th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I made the petfood search not too long ago too, I went into one, sounds like the same one I stumbled into, I asked some non-threatening questions too, poor things, there were st.bernard pups that kept knocking over their water because they were pretty big in the squishy little cage, open tops, there was a papillon that was jumping so high it must have been so bored, it was almost jumping from it's cage, poor thing.

At first they were just ignoring them but when I went in to see their condition the person quickly started cleaning up the cages and giving them water.

So I asked them where they get their pups from, she said they got them from different breeders in ontario, she said her boss knew more about them and he was unavailable.

I called animal services, just so they knew they were selling pups from a pet food store, and for them to check the condition of them just in case, since they do know more about the by-laws than I.

Which area were you looking? I know of a few food supply stores downtown that are pretty good.

Stacer
August 30th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I'm looking in the north west corner of Mississauga. I had a really good store in my old neighbourhood, a Global Pet Foods, it had everything. There's not one within a resonable distance to my current place.

papillonmama
August 30th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Okay, I admit, I don't know much about mississauga, but I tried a search for you, I can't stand looking for new food stores, they vary so much on which brands they sell. Hope you find a good one though, and if you do want to travel all the way downtown, I know a few around that are pretty good.:thumbs up

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&output=html&near=Mississauga,+ON,+Canada&q=category:%20Pet%20Foods%20&%20Supplies%20Retail

http://findabusiness.yellowpages.ca/searchBusiness.do?what=pet+foods+%26+Supplies+reta il&srchtype=category&city=mississauga&sType=simpleSearch&action=homeSearch&step=getDirectory&Se=smp

OntarioGreys
September 1st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Places you could check out, I included phone number so you can check by phone if they have what you want

I read the pet store in square one has dog for sale, so skip that onr

I don;t know all these stores, I just found a listing

Some of the Ryan's and Global stores will deliver

Ryan's Pet Foods
West of Mavis RD, 896 Burnhamthorpe Rd W, Mississauga, ON L5C 2S3 905 501 0411

Bark & Fitz
129 Lakeshore Road East, Mississauga, ON L5G 1E5 905-271-3892

Doggie Central
3151 Lenworth Drive (427 & Dundas), Mississauga, ON L4X 2G6 416-412-7771

Pet Valu
1077 North Service Road, Mississauga, ON L4Y 1A6 905-276-7190

Pet Valu
1240 Eglinton Avenue West, Unit 12, Mississauga, ON L5V 1N3 905-819-0777

Pet Valu
6040 Glen Erin Drive, Mississauga, ON L5N 3M4 905-821-8333

Pet Valu
6085 Creditview Road, Mississauga, ON L5V 2A8 905-821-4290

Pet Valu
925 Rathburn Road East, Mississauga, ON L4W 4C3 905-896-0238

Pet Valu
3221 Derry Road West, Unit #12, Mississauga, ON L5N 7L7 905-785-7874

Pet Valu
1151 Dundas Street West, Mississauga, ON L5C 1C6 905-279-2555

Pet Valu
201 Lakeshore Road East, Mississauga, ON L5G 1G2 905-274-8774

Pet Valu
2150 Burnhamthorpe Road West, Unit H-4, Mississauga, ON L5L 3A2 905-607-8282

Pet Valu
2400 Dundas Street West, Unit #16, Mississauga, ON L5K 2R8 905-823-9200

Pet Valu
980 Southdown Road, Mississauga, ON L5J 2Y4 905-855-8262

Stacer
September 8th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Wow, thanks guys. I've been neglectful in my visiting this site lately, so I hadn't seen the new posts. That Pet Valu on Glen Erin Dr isn't too far from me, I'll check that one out. We actually drove to our old neighbourhood in Toronto to buy food and litter last week. :D