Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Very Ill Pup

jawert1
February 4th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Greetings,
I have a very sick English Pointer on my hands, with both vomiting and diarreah. I just had new carpet installed today and wanted to confirm the suspicion I have. I'm thinking he's reacting to the smell and/or the glue. Is this possible?

Luba
February 4th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Could be may not be!

Air out your house as much as possible (OPEN WINDOWS)

but...if your dog is doing both I would be concerned. Yes it could be toxic overload.

I would rent a steam cleaner and open the windows, keep the dog in a separate room. Clean the carpets thoroughly with a fragrance free environmentally friendly cleaner...not the ones that are commercially sold in the grocery store.

Fresh air with a fan pointing OUT the window will suck the toxins out of the air.

A puppy can't have it's water or food withheld but an adult dog can unless they are extremely underweight. You can withhold food for 12 hours then introduce the food slowly adding boiled white rice to it.

HOWEVER if the vomiting and diarhea continues you better get to the vet ASAP!

jawert1
February 4th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Hi Luba,
He's 2 years old and I've got him and his water dish upstairs with me away from the stench since only one room was recarpeted. I phoned the emergency vet and they won't see him until tomorrow at the very earliest, so hopefully tonight will be better. He seems to have settled out but I'm still nervous since he showed no signs of an issue until this afternoon when I came home from work (he was in the kitchen all afternoon, next to the recarpeted room). It makes sense, but then I've had resolutions that seemed as such before that were completely off base :/ Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep his recovery posted.