Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any one with a Deaf Dog?

Angies Man
August 27th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I saw an ad for a rescue Great Dane up for adoption a few days ago. Really beautiful 2 year old male, friendly, well behaved, seeming well socialized for people, children, and dogs and cats. And Deaf. He is obedience trained with a variety of hand signals for all the usuall obedience tricks plus a bunch of other things to make living with him easier.

I live in a rental and I'm up against the limit for dogs in my house (which is one dog.) I would adopt this feller in a minute, his deafness wouldn't even a factor.

http://myfiero.com/uploads/3549_.jpg

But my landlord wouldn "hear" of it. (sorry)

My next door neighbor lady, who's a dog person, is very interested in this dog. She realizes that outside of the house and fenced yard he would have to be on a lead, but a long lead would do. He would be home with her wheelchair bound (paraplegic) brother during the week, but on her days off, he'd be her "go everywhere" companion.

So to those that have deaf dogs, how tough is it? We figure he can sense a banging on the floor and be trained to look up for his humans when he feels that through his feet. Probably train him to come to a flashing light, too? Maybe even a camara flash?

Do deaf dogs bark?

My neighbor has no prev. experience with Danes (I've had two,) but has had shelter rescued labs. For me Danes are such a special treat, I'm really hoping she gets the big guy, so I can help!

rainbow
August 27th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Sorry, I don't have any experience with deaf dogs, although, I swear my two boys are sometimes. :D

I just wanted to say what a handsome fellow he is and I really hope things work out for him and your neighbour and you. :fingerscr

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Deaf dogs can bark. Rescues can be particular about who they adopt deaf dogs to though. They generally prefer that the adoptees be experienced with deaf dogs.:shrug:

chico2
August 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM
There are a couple of people here with deaf dogs,or knowledge about deaf dogs,hopefully they'll see this post.
He is a beautiful Great Dane and I hope he'll get a home soon:fingerscr

LM1313
August 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I've read that deaf cats can be very loud meowers because they can't hear themselves to tell how loud they are . . . I don't know if that's the case with deaf dogs or not.

I keep coming across advice on dalmation pages to PTS any puppies born deaf in both ears because socialization will be impossible, etc . . . I don't see how that can be when there are perfectly nice dogs like this around!

mona_b
August 28th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Two of my co-workers have deaf dogs.One does happen to be a Dane and the other is a White Boxer....I have asked them before about the work that goes into having deaf dogs(I have a deaf cat)And they have told me it takes time and patience.Both have had to learn sign language.And you must NEVER EVER startle a deaf dog.Chances are yo will get bit.You know the saying"let sleeping dogs lay" that's what you do...LOL..Yes you need to stomp/bang on the floor.And yes,the do bark.

I've read that deaf cats can be very loud meowers because they can't hear themselves to tell how loud they are .

That is soooooooooooo very true..My Casper gets so loud,you can hear him from the sidewalk...People must think he is getting a beating,cause he sure does sound like it..LOL

susieqt
August 28th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I have a little white poodle that is completely deaf; I only realized he was deaf after I had adopted him. His "handicap" in no way seems to affect his quality of life; he acts exactly like my other two dogs. I can't say he barks more neither, usually when the other two dogs start barking, he will join in.