Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I have a shirt issue/rant

raingirl
August 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Hmmm..how do I put this. I am rather "large" on top, and I am having a horrible time trying to find nice shirts to wear for my new job.

I tried on almost 30 shirts yesterday, and didn't find one that fit well. I wear size 11/12 pants, but need 14 or 16 size shirts. I can't wear button up shirts because where there are no buttons, I get gaping holes. I can't wear any of the new trendy shirts (you know, the ones that are empire waisted like one below):

http://images2.nordstrom.com/images/store/product/medium/159570.jpg

It seems that EVERY store has only these type of shirts.

Ideally, I wanted some plain t-shirts, but I couldn't even find any of those, since everyone only has fall long sleeve shirts, and I don't wear shirts that are full long sleeve! Anyone who did have plane vneck t-shirts, they were too long, which I guess is also the fashion right now. But, I have a short torso, so the long tshirts just look stupid on me.

It just makes me so frusterated. I have only two shirts I can wear to work this week. Don't know what I will do when I hit Wednesday!

technodoll
August 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM
i see this often on TLC's "what not to wear" and their advice makes sense. Always buy shirts that fit on the top (shouders & breasts), go up a few sizes if you have to, and then get the waist (sides) taken in by a tailor (it's a minor, inexpensive job). that way you get shirts that fit YOU and fit you WELL, and you can get any shirt that you want.

good luck! :crazy:

raingirl
August 27th, 2006, 11:38 AM
We don't have TLC.

That's a thought. You mean dress shirts, like button up ones, right? Because when I get ones that fit on top, All I get is super baggy on the bottom! I never though of having a tailor fix that.

Do you think a taylor could put in a strip of velcro or some small snaps in between buttons, so that I don't worry about the gaping hole (sorry, never been to a tailor before).

Puppyluv
August 27th, 2006, 11:46 AM
you might find some tips on the what not to wear (http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/fashion_tips/index.html?clik=fanmain_leftnav) website

raingirl
August 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I went to the site, but none of the videos work. There is no play button! All I get is an advertisement, then nothing.

joeysmama
August 27th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I'm small busted and I wear a small shirt size and I get those gaping holes too. It's so frustrating. But....it makes me really conscious of my posture. LOL ! I have one dress that's a button down and fits so nicely when I'm standing. But in that dress and some button down shirts I have to sit very nicley, because if I relax, even a bit--my buttons pull like Oliver Hardy.

I think getting them tailored is a great idea. I'm going to do that for my husband with his shirts too.

papillonmama
August 27th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Try old navy, they have lots of sizes, larger than you would think, they are fashionable and like others have said you can get them taken in if you need to. There's also that Penningtons store at the dufferin mall, it's supposed to have younger styles. Like others have said, get them larger and go from there.

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Gap! Sure the clothes are not ethical (even though they keep saying they are) but they have sizes to fit everybody and they have plain t-shirts right now in v-neck or round-whatever you call it. My body is weird too and right when I get discouraged, the gap always perks me up.

raingirl
August 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM
In our gap they had NOTHING. It was pretty sad. It was like bare. THey had a few shirts here and there, but mostly it was jeans everywhere. They had some button up shirts, but they were full length sleeves, which I can't wear because I have freakishly long arms (when a shirt fits everywhere else, the sleeves are usually 1 inch too short. It's really hard to buy dress coats/suit jackets because of it as well) I usually like the Gap as well, but I was discouraged for the first time. I tried this sweater on, and it was below my hips!!

http://www.gap.com/Asset_Archive/GPWeb/Assets/Product/397/397908/big/gp397908-05vliv01.jpg

I tried Old Navy but nothing there fits me either. The "perfect T" shirts that they sell right now are too long, so on my short torso, it gets all bunched up. THe ones they sold last year were perfect, but the store person said they changed the style and a lot of people were complaining. I used to buy bluenotes v-neck t-shirts, but again, they have these long styles that go below your hips. What is with that? I want some plain v-neck shirts that are a just a perfect fit in the bust, but a little loose over the belly and stop just below the belt line.

I think what sucks is that I know what looks good on me, but I can't find it. I know I look better in dark bold colours (I don't do white, creams, pinks, blues, anything like that) which is why I like shopping in the fall/winter the best. I don't do long sleeves or long shirts. I can only wear v-necks, no scoop or round necks, I like turtle necks, but it's too early for those yet. I can't wear tanks or sleeveless shirts, because they make my top half look disproportionate. Same goes for "short short" sleeves (like thos little halve sleeves that barely cover your shoulder).

We don't have pennintons here. I tried addition elle (similar) but all the stuff there was too big actually (their 14 was like an 18!!)

technodoll
August 27th, 2006, 05:03 PM
here you go :) from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12804134/

Tips for fixing the top 5 fashion problems
Today show
Updated: 12:38 a.m. ET May 16, 2006

Stacy London from TLC's “What Not To Wear” headed into the veritable fashion jungle of Times Square to find the top fashion problems people are plagued by the most. Here are her style fixes for the most common concerns:

When asking Americans at large what their fashion “issues” were, we got oodles of answers. But what seems to be the biggest style conundrum for most folks is how to find clothes that fit and flatter when everybody's body is different. So many woman have problems with the way clothing fits, but we all have to realize that nobody is a cookie-cutter size. And because clothes are not tailor made, we should all be using a tailor.

Long arms and long legs
Length of sleeve and length of pant leg are super important. The right length of clothing can be the difference between looking your best and looking a mess. If you've got long arms, 3/4-sleeve jackets will always look off. Two options: Shorten the sleeve to the elbow so there can be no mistake it is meant to be worn as a short-sleeve jacket, or take the hem of a jacket sleeve down to cover the length of your arm. Pants and jeans are coming in longer lengths now. Ask when you enter a store if they are available. Always fit the rise first, then the leg length. Same with narrow feet! The best place to find a large number of shoes for hard-to-fit feet is the Internet. On many sites you can search for shoes by type, color, shape, and fit. Jacket: Zara, $129; T-shirt: Diane von Furstenberg at Loehmans, $39.99; jeans: Habitual, $189

Bust and short legs
Conversely, when you have short legs and a longer torso, try petite sizes to find a rise that fits correctly. You don't have to be under 5'4" (technically a petite) for this to work. Many women with longer torsos and shorter legs fit better in petites. You can always have the hem taken down to get the proper length in the leg. When you have a larger chest, always wear a supportive bra and make sure button-front shirts and jackets fit across the chest. They can be altered to fit the shoulder and the arm. The common misconception is that jackets and shirts that fit the shoulder will always fit the chest. Not so! Fit the largest part of you first, then everything else can be altered. For extra security, have small snaps put in between the buttons so they don't pull. Jacket: Style & Co, $75; shirt: I.N.C., $29; pants: Ann Taylor Loft petite, $128

Colors and skin tone
The simplest rule of thumb is to choose colors that 1) de-emphasize the undertone in your skin, 2) contrast your hair color or 3) compliment your eyes. The two most common undertones of skin are pink and yellow. Colors with blue undertones are generally the most flattering because they can equally neutralize pink or yellow in the skin. If you have lots of pink undertone in your skin, stay away from pale or mid-tone pinks and tomato reds. They only increase the appearance of pink in your skin. If you have lots of yellow undertone in your skin, stay away from taupes, beiges or browns that match your skin color too closely. Don't be afraid to experiment with color. And don't buy into that '80s notion that you are a “winter” or a “summer.” You could be a fruit cocktail — you still have to try things on. Jacket: Zara, $89; skirt: Jones New York, $89

Plus size
Trying to dress plus-size women is no different from dressing mainstream-size women. Look for designs that will give the most flattering (hourglass) shape. Good convertible strap bras are available on the market these days and, believe it or not, many halter dresses are flattering for those with a larger cup size. Look for ruching at the waistline to minimize a tummy (add a slimmer underneath, if you want extra smoothing) and an A-line skirt to the knee for the most flattering fit and shape. Remember to always match the size of the print to the size of the woman. Larger women can handle larger all-over prints and wear them with style! A large selection of larger size shoes can also be found online. Dress: Jones New York, $130

Tush
Just like trainers who say you can't “spot” train, you can't “spot” style either. If you've got a larger derriere, you still need to consider the way you dress your whole frame in order to make your “assets” look their best. Start with a great trouser that fits the largest part of you first. Make sure to find a leg that falls straight down from that widest part. But consider your top half in this equation. Look for a top that highlights a small waistline. Look for a blouse that sits at the top of the hip. Look for a top with a seam or sash that sits higher than your natural waistline, toward the top of the ribcage. A V-neck will also draw the eye upward. Finally, look for a flutter sleeve to emphasize the shoulder, which will help to balance the body proportion between your top and your hip, bottom and thigh. A broader shoulder also makes a waist look even smaller! If pockets emphasize your behind more than you would like, have them cut out and sewn down to create a smoother, sleeker silhouette. Shirt: Searle, $198; pants: Club Monaco, $119

© 2006 MSNBC Interactive

MyBirdIsEvil
August 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM
because where there are no buttons, I get gaping holes

I'm about the build as you (top and bottom), and have you thought of using safety pins? Most button up shirts have folded over fabric where the buttons and buttonholes are. You can put a safety pin on the interior fabric and it's not visible on the outside of the shirt. I have to do this with just about ALL of my buttondown shirts.
If you want to find particular sizes and cuts, you may want to try overstock.com (if you're willing to buy online). They have a HUGE selection of different sizes/cuts/styles, and it's easy to get addicted to buying from them.
Old Navy usually has pretty good stuff (the gap is the EXACT same store, just higher end/more expensive; owned by same people).
If you have a Sears there they usually have a lot of shirts that fit my body type (and I'm assuming yours).

Honestly if you want to get advice on what stores in your area have shirts that will fit you good, since you're big on top, go to a lingerie store (like victoria's secret) that caters to women with big boobs and ask the women that work there.

Another word of advice is to try different styles of bras. Depending on the bra I wear I can make just about any shirt look good on me as long as it's my size.

Anyone who did have plane vneck t-shirts, they were too long, which I guess is also the fashion right now.

I know what you mean, I'm 5'1 and long shirts make my legs look really really short and my waist look HUGE. You could try taking the shirts to someone and having them cut a tiny bit shorter, it wouldn't be expensive at all on a normal t-shirt, 'cause it'd only take a few minutes.
It is pretty hard to find normal v-necks anymore (clothing styles kinda suck right now), so I would really try overstock, 'cause every time I've gone shopping at an actual store this year it's taken me hours just to find a few nice shirts.

Sorry if I posted anything that's already been mentioned, I got distracted halfway through my post, lol.

For extra security, have small snaps put in between the buttons so they don't pull.

That works too but safety pins work just fine if you don't feel like putting snaps on :D . I have snaps or clasps on some of my shirts but I just keep a bunch of tiny safety pins around 'cause it's easier.

raingirl
August 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I tried the saftey pin thing, but it takes forever to get it perfect (for me, usually 15 minutes of trying to get it in the inner layer of fabric, and not the outer!) So I just gave up.

Unfortunately, we don't have Victoria's Secret in Canada. I don't mind buying online, but not from the US, because the duties to get the stuff here almost double the price! And sears in Canada is like "old person store" because they only carry elastic waist pants and polyester blouses in floral prints.

I hate having a short torso. I am 5'8" and my bestfriend is 5'11". We both wear 34 length jeans, but her torso is so much longer than mine. I love this website because it explains it perfectly:

http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/shorttorso/

I have long legs, short torso. My lowest rib is about 1.5 inches from my hip, which is why my arms are longer.

dtbmnec
August 27th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I tried the saftey pin thing, but it takes forever to get it perfect (for me, usually 15 minutes of trying to get it in the inner layer of fabric, and not the outer!) So I just gave up.

Unfortunately, we don't have Victoria's Secret in Canada. I don't mind buying online, but not from the US, because the duties to get the stuff here almost double the price! And sears in Canada is like "old person store" because they only carry elastic waist pants and polyester blouses in floral prints.

I hate having a short torso. I am 5'8" and my bestfriend is 5'11". We both wear 34 length jeans, but her torso is so much longer than mine. I love this website because it explains it perfectly:

http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/shorttorso/

I have long legs, short torso. My lowest rib is about 1.5 inches from my hip, which is why my arms are longer.

Try La Vie en Rose or La Senza....they might know something....I suppose you could always try an Adult store as well (like Stag Shop) because they have the really sexy lingerie but they have a "busty" section of clothing too....maybe ask the store people? *shrugs* its an idea.

Megan

raingirl
August 27th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Haha. Didn't think of that. But I don't think those stores have size E bras (yes...size E...). You know how long I have wanted to buy a corset? Like, a real nice one with ribs and all, tie up in the back, in sexy red or black? I think I will have to wait until I get a breast reduction for that, which I am not getting done until after I have kids. What would i give to be a teen again and only a B cup!!

Maybe I should go to Talbots, I'm sure they have plain t's that's aren't long and stupid.

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Aw, too bad you're not closer... I know two places with E...

This is one: http://www.vestiny.com/

You could always email them (the owners are really nice people- with two dogs!) and ask if they sell anywhere near you or if there's any way to get some...

Victoria's Secret doesn't really do sizes outside the "normal" A-D range.:shrug:

raingirl
August 27th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Wow Prin. Thanks so much for the link. I will definately email them. It's so hard to find bras where I live. There are NO specialty stores anywhere that I know of. Maybe they can suggest one. I would love to be able to buy a tank top with a bra built in that actually fit!!

MyBirdIsEvil
August 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
But I don't think those stores have size E bras (yes...size E...).

Have you actually been fitted? Oddly enough manufacturers sizes don't run standard (though they should). I can wear a D in some brands and styles, DD (E) in others. DD and E are considered one in the same in some brands and E is considered bigger than DD in others. The cup sizes also vary depending on rib size. A cup in a 34D is smaller than in a 36D etc..
If you go into a store and say you wear a certain cup size and stuff they may say they don't carry that size, but if they measure you, you may indeed fit in what they have.

And sears in Canada is like "old person store" because they only carry elastic waist pants and polyester blouses in floral prints.

Sears is like that here too, but I shop in the juniors section which has all the teenager stuff, and I can sometimes fit in the largest size depending on the cut.

I have long legs, short torso.

So do I (comparative to my height).
You think YOU have it bad, I have longer legs and a shorter torso, but I'm only 5'1, so if I buy in petit the shirts are usually STILL too long, and the pants are usually too short on me. Therefore I have to find pants that are between petit and average (which is almost impossible, most of the time I just have to hem them up), and shirts that may not look like they're meant to on me, but still look good, lol.
Not to mention I have DD's, so any shirts that actually fit my height are usually SUPER tight 'cuz apparently short people have small boobs.

phoenix
August 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
You think YOU have it bad, .

lol... and i thought it was the GUYS who were bad about P***ing Contests (mine is bigger than yours)

commiserate, ladies!:grouphug:

papillonmama
August 28th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Oops, I thought you live in Toronto, here's the penningtons website, they have a store locator, maybe they have one close to you.

http://www.penningtons.com/index.htm

MyBirdIsEvil
August 29th, 2006, 01:47 AM
lol... and i thought it was the GUYS who were bad about P***ing Contests (mine is bigger than yours)

I'm just sayin'. I have long legs for my height and I never fit into what I should fit into compared to my height. It's the womens clothing industry, they suck. I can wear about 10 sizes of pants depending on who they're made by. I can probably fit into 3 shirt sizes depending on the style/brand. And screw finding a bra that fits just by looking at the tag. Bra makers think DD means they should take a DD cup and then stick so much padding in it that it actually ends up a C cup. It can't just say "padded C", it has to say DD so everyone can think they're a DD. GAH! At this point I may get a breast reduction just so I can fit into a damn bra when I pick it out.
Why can't ALL womens clothes just be standard sizes like mens. Mens pants are measured in inches. 34 inch waist pants are generally 34 inch (unless they're irregular). 34 inch legs are generally 34 inches long. Instead womens pants are like "petit, short, average, long, extra long" and the waist sizes are "5,6,7,8,9 etc." and NONE of this stuff means anything 'cause every company measures different. Oh then there's "juniors, misses, womens" and stuff like that, which just means if you shop in more than one section you'll NEVER know what size you need.

AAAHHHH!!!!!

Btw, THIS is why no one that doesn't like to hear rants should EVER mention anything about womens clothes.