Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Illusionist

jesse's mommy
August 27th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Wow! What a great movie. This movie stars Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti, Jessica Biel, and Rufus Sewell. Ed Norton is Eisenheim, the Illusionist; Paul Giamatti is Chief Inspector Uhl, Jessica Biel is Sophie, and Rufus Sewell is Prince Leopold. Set in the early 1900s, Eisenheim is an amazing Illusionist who is gaining much popularity and a vast following to which Inspector Uhl admires. During a show, the Prince and Duchess Sophie (soon to be engaged) attend and Sophie is volunteered to assist Eisenheim. During this time, they lock eyes and realize that they knew each other during their childhood -- lost love. Since the show, they secretly meet and rekindle their love. Of course the Inspector finds out of their secret meetings and though he admires Eisenheim as a performer, must do his job and reports to the Prince, pinning him against the Illusionist. The Prince of course is jealous and once Sophie tries to break off the engagement, the story takes a very interesting turn (I'll stop with the description now because this is where some spoilers would appear). Anyway, the movie is absolutely beautiful. The acting is phenominal, the music is very dark, but very appropriate and adds to the drama. Ed Norton's performance is amazing -- very dark and very emotional. As Marko said in another review, Ed Norton fully deserves an academy award in his life. Giamatti's performance should not go unnoticed as well -- battling with what is right and what is wrong -- will he do the right thing? One thing that I should note is that this is a movie that you need to sit down and watch. Do not think that you can let your mind come and go with this movie, you do need to sit down and watch it from beginning to end. It may seem to be slow moving, but in listening to the amazing dialogue, it all reveals itself in the end. It kind of reveals itself at the end kind of like Sixth Sense. All in all, this is a wonderfully beautiful movie that should not go unseen. I give it a thumbs up. :thumbs up

Right now the movie is in limited release, but will be opening nationwide on September 1st.