Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A strange couple in my yard

chico2
August 27th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I beeing a sucker for cute furry things,have been feeding this little female raccoon for a while(I know,not recommended!).
We watch her with a flash-light in hand,to our BIG surprise a little SKUNK has been joining her the last few nights.
They are eating side,by side..no spraying.
I've been trying to get a pic,but it's pitch dark outside at that time and the skunk is a little nervous of the flash-light,not so the coon.
It's really cute to see,I think the skunk is just a young one..

LibbyP
August 27th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Very Naughty chico2, feeding wild critters, pls be careful or you'll throw the whole 'wild' thing off balance;) . WOW that is an odd couple I'm sure it's one really cute sight to be seen though, I've been at fault the last couple of nights myself we seem to have a new stray junior, her whole body is soo skinny, I feel really bad as we don't have many strays in the area. But sorry I'm :offtopic: we do have skunks though and everyone is really worried about them I think they are really cute, cannot say the same about raccoons though, had one(mommy) ripe a hole in our roof in the old house(naughty critter)

rainbow
August 27th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Wow, that is an odd couple to see together. I wish you could get a pic too. Lucky you....enjoy. :D

chico2
August 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Well,I don't actually feed them,I give them a few peanuts to thank them for aerating my lawn and eating the grubs:D

chico2
August 27th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I don't see any harm in enjoying the coons,they've had to adapt to living in populated areas,to me,they are never pests,just an animal trying to survive.
When we bought our house,I think about 30yrs ago,part of the charm was a two minute drive and cows were grazing in the fields.
Now,it's a huge concrete jungle with hundreds of big ugly homes,where are the wild critters going to go?
My house is coon-proof,capped chimneys,impossible to open garbage container,but they can have a feast at my neighbors,because they are slobs:D
Here is a pic from a few years ago..

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 03:57 PM
So cute! I don't feed the beasties, but I try not to stop them from living around me if I can help it.

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2006, 04:12 PM
where are the wild critters going to go?
Oh, don't worry. They're still around. Wild critters adapt quite well to city life. I've seen foxes in downtown Toronto. There was a coyote in Central Park not too long ago. They just get a little better at hiding once the houses start popping up.

Maya
August 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
The racoons are so cute wish I could scoop them up and cuddle them but I know that won't be happening! At a vet clinic I used to go to they had a huge photo album with pictures of pets that people had added over the years. One picture was the most adorable picture of a racoon and a black cat sitting right side by side. I don't remember the story behind it but they were definitely friends. :o

chico2
August 27th, 2006, 04:23 PM
There was a girl(Debbie) here a while back,who rescued a bunch of coon-babies,all died except one and she took care of him,until one day he went out to find his wild friends,
I have some pics of her"Chico"somewhere here...

chico2
August 27th, 2006, 04:26 PM
and another..

Maya
August 27th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Oh, don't worry. They're still around. Wild critters adapt quite well to city life I don't think that's true, they shouldn't have to spend all their time hiding and then risk getting hit by cars or poisoned etc. when they come out. Some sanctuary should be left and there is a lot we can do when planning construction to reduce damage of habitat. It's just that it costs and people can't be bothered.

Maya
August 27th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Aww he's so sweet and lucky, quite the meal he had that day!:)

glasslass
August 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Chico, I think the word is out that your yard is a sanctuary, a safe place with good eats. The critters are on good behavior. They don't want to spoil a good thing!

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I don't think that's true, they shouldn't have to spend all their time hiding and then risk getting hit by cars or poisoned etc. when they come out. Some sanctuary should be left and there is a lot we can do when planning construction to reduce damage of habitat. It's just that it costs and people can't be bothered.
I never said it was a good arrangement, just that they're still around.

Maya
August 28th, 2006, 12:42 AM
I never said it was a good arrangement, just that they're still around.

I was just pointing out that chico2 has a legitimate concern, because urbanization does have a negative effect on wildlife, despite that some species somehow manage to survive. I hope I'm not putting this thread off topic. :p

chico2
August 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Maya,you are not off topic:love:
Oakville like so many other places is growing by the day,houses pop up like mushrooms,farmers fields become concrete jungles,there is BIG money to be made.
A few people protest the destruction of greenspaces,but developers almost always win..
I am lucky,we live in an old area,still some tall old trees and properties are not like a postage-stamp:)
It always saddens me,reading about"nuisance" animals,be they bears,coyotes,raccoons or whatever,who are we to decide who is going to live or die,every living being has a purpose and a right to live,just like us humans.
As wild animals adjust to us taking over their space,so should we,most critters only come out at night and it's up to us to protect our pets and kids.
I've seen the result of Coyote-attacks on pets:sad: ,but I have yet to hear about a raccoon,possum or skunk killing a dog or cat.
Ok,that's it,I am off my soap-box!

LibbyP
August 28th, 2006, 07:51 AM
chico2, I was just kidding in my first response;) throw the whole 'wild' thing of balance, the critters have their own underground network telling other critters about the goods in your backyard:D enjoy. Oh my old house was a century farm house(rented) with very poor landlords, the house needed so much repair we couldn't stay after the darn raccoon, she left a hole and I'm not kidding that we could see out our bathroom ceiling to the sky above:offtopic: again but love to see some pic of the odd couple, love them skunks

chico2
August 28th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Libby no problem,I can understand peoples frustration dealing with raccoons in the chimney or other places,after dealing with a mouse-infestation(3 cats in the house:yell: ) last winter,now we check every inch of our house each fall for any point of entry.
A neighbor had to replace her entire roof,because of squirrels,so now she hates ALL squirrels,or anything else not on a leash:D,me included:crazy:

Maya
August 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM
That's a possum isn't it? He's really cute in a funny sort of way. I don't think we have any on Vancouver Island. Your odd couple reminded me of that story about finnegan the squirrel who was accepted into a litter of puppies, that was sooo cute. It's interesting how different species can get along so well sometimes. I hope you can get a picture of these two, that would be fun. :)

chico2
August 29th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Maya,it's a Possum and they are ugly/cute,amazing little hands:love:
I tried last night again,to get a photo,hubby holding the flashlight,but the little skunkie does not like light.
For obvious reasons I don't get too close:D

PEDPA
September 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
I wonder if the skunk coon couple are a couple or maybe the coon adopted the skunk? I think .. as i am a hopeless romantic.. lmao... that they are a couple and are going to have baby raskinks or skunkoons ... now that would be a cute picture! lol.. the ultimate trouble making critters .... i know i know ... :offtopic: sorry .. but i just kept laughing when i read your post and thought how cute... a new odd couple in a society of odd human couples! Hopefully you get some great pictures!

rainbow
September 2nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
LOL, PEDPA...that's all we need - - designer wildlife. :eek:

chico2
September 3rd, 2006, 06:49 AM
PEDPA,sorry no pics as of yet and I have not seen the little skunkie for a while.
The small raccoon doesn't mind our big flashlight,but the skunk did.
He probably stays down by the birdfeeders,it seems skunks like leftover birdseeds.