Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is wrong with people!

MyBirdIsEvil
August 26th, 2006, 11:43 PM
We were going to enter our dogs in the little dog show at the county fair, but they were really hyper today, so we just decided to take them down there to do a little bit of socializing with people and other dogs, and get them used to being around a large crowd.
Everyones dogs were really friendly and well behaved, UNTIL these morons showed up with their male and female english mastiffs. One was probably 200 lbs and the other maybe 180-190. Both I'm assuming, unfixed, since the male wasn't.
These dogs had apparently NEVER been socialized or out in public around other dogs. Every time a dog walked past, one of the mastiffs kept lunging and growling at the dog. The owners didn't warn anyone that their dogs were poorly socialized, they just kept letting people walk up with their dogs to "meet" their dog. Everyone was horrified, because these people apparently had NO idea that if their dog decided to attack one of the other dogs they weren't going to be able to stop it.
Every time the dog lunged and growled the owners just laughed and giggled and thought it was cute. At one point the male mastiff tried to take a treat from the female mastiff and they just about got in a fight. The owners yet again thought this was cute, and said "awww, she didn't like that!".
Not long after they got there, the aggressive mastiff was getting a bit out of hand and one of the owners TRIED TO ALPHA ROLL THE DOG! I was thinking "jesus, this is gonna end badly". One of the owners walked up to my b/f when the dogshow was about over and said "yeah, we just wanted to bring the mastiffs out to see how they'd act". WTF? Why can't this be done in a controlled enviroment, instead of taking unsocialized dogs out in public around probably 20 other strange dogs.
There was another couple there that also had a mastiff (which was EXTREMELY well behaved and friendly I might add), who was just horrified at the fact that someone could be so dumb with a large dog like that.
People like this scare me. They had no control of their dogs and apparently thought sticking a choke chain on them would keep them under control.

technodoll
August 27th, 2006, 12:35 AM
when you see them in the newspaper sometimes soon under the heading "morons mauled by mastiffs", be sure to post the story here so we can all cheer :evil:

rainbow
August 27th, 2006, 12:54 AM
A classic example of why people should not own dogs. :mad:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 27th, 2006, 01:35 AM
A classic example of why people should not own dogs.
I hope you mean SOME people. ;)

This is why dogs end up in the news being villified by the media.
The woman that was there with her very well behaved well trained friendly mastiff would never be noticed. The people that have the vicious unsocialized mastiff who ends up mauling someone will be, and ultimately the dogs breed will be blamed.

when you see them in the newspaper sometimes soon under the heading "morons mauled by mastiffs", be sure to post the story here so we can all cheer

I'm sure if she keeps trying to alpha roll a near 200 lb aggressive dog, that will be the case.

rainbow
August 27th, 2006, 01:50 AM
I hope you mean SOME people.

Ooops, sorry, that's exactly what I meant. :o

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 02:15 AM
This is why dogs end up in the news being villified by the media.
The woman that was there with her very well behaved well trained friendly mastiff would never be noticed. The people that have the vicious unsocialized mastiff who ends up mauling someone will be, and ultimately the dogs breed will be blamed.Exactly. The squeaky wheels always get the media attention.:(

erykah1310
August 27th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Its because no one is interested in the well maintained wheels.

Sad, but thats the human race for ya.

LM1313
August 27th, 2006, 02:29 AM
WOW, I can't believe someone would behave so irresponsibly and put other people at risk like that!

Oh . . . wait . . . I can believe it. And that's even sadder. :(

Maya
August 27th, 2006, 02:59 AM
What is wrong with people!
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein
I almost used this for my signature but then I was worried I might offend the stupid people. There's no end to it. :sad:

phoenix
August 27th, 2006, 08:19 AM
lol... i've always liked that quote. I had it up in my science classroom.

You should use it Maya! The good thing is that they won't think you're talking about them :rolleyes: ;)

LibbyP
August 27th, 2006, 09:33 AM
That makes me feel just sick. Poor babies, with clearly stupid uneducated owners. I feel this will be one of the next 'breeds of choice' the bigger the better:( I'm quite sure nobody even noticed the woman with the well behaved E.M. and did she go anywhere near the other two? I know for a fact I wouldn't, (other than to have a to have a look, brief speak)it's a disgrace, like you everyone will be remembering the bad dogs and what a dangerous breed that is:frustrated: That is one of the reasons I didn't go to Woofstock, too many people, didn't know how the big girl would react, went to Sloberfest and she was a really good girl, sad just sad, luckily here there aren't many E.M. around

MyBirdIsEvil
August 27th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'm quite sure nobody even noticed the woman with the well behaved E.M. and did she go anywhere near the other two?

Nope. Most of the people who saw how the dogs were acting tried to stay really far away from them. A couple of people went up to the dogs anyway trying to get the mastiffs and their dog to get along, apparently they had NO idea what they were seeing.
After we saw the woman try to alpha roll the one dog (note: I said try), I decided that we were gonna stay as farrrr away from those crazy people as we could, lol.

Daisy_Mae
August 27th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Might I ask if they were teenagers? I don't how any grown adult can laugh when their dog is being aggressive, that is no joke.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 27th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Might I ask if they were teenagers? I don't how any grown adult can laugh when their dog is being aggressive, that is no joke.

Unfortunately no, they were probably in their 30s or 40ish.
They seemed like the type of people who probably got their dogs because they thought they'd be big and protective, considering both of the dogs names (which I won't say).
Kind of reminded me of the presa canarios in SF that ended up killing that one woman. People had stated that the owners would just let the dogs drag them around by the leash and laughed when they were aggressive and territorial towards people and other dogs.

Also, every time the dog would growl at another dog they'd pet it and coddle it and go "ssshhh, it's ok!". Way to teach your dog that aggression is not ok.
I'm assuming this dog had fear problems (or some kind of personality disorder). None of the dogs were being hyper or anything towards it. They were all walking up real submissive and calm just sniffing the ground a little bit like most dogs do when they meet, and the mastiff was lunging and growling. Either way, it wasn't normal dog/pack behavior, because no matter any of the other dogs body language the mastiff was extremely aggressive.
It even lunged aggressively at a little rat terrier that was just standing near it, an obvious non-threat.

LibbyP
August 28th, 2006, 09:08 AM
DISGUSTING, that's all I have left to say, and poor dogs, and really really stupid owners, okay now that's all I have to say:D :yell: :mad: Oh I forgot to add my girl is not aggressive and that's not why I didn't go actually she's a big shy girl

BernerLver
August 28th, 2006, 02:02 PM
These are the same people who, when their dogs harm them or attack someone else/another dog, will say incredulously;

"I don't understand what happened, they’ve never shown signs of aggression before?."

UGH, the world is full of idiots and too many of them own pets. :frustrated:

LianneCatherine
August 28th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Not to say that the people you described weren't clearly out of line allowing the EMs to behave that way, but on the other hand--it sounds like they were just uneducated.

It's easy for someone who has been around dogs their whole lives to say what is right and wrong, and what should or should not be done--but as a new dog owner, I myself am finding that I know very little about them, and probably am sometimes doing the "wrong" thing. I've been doing a lot of research, coming on this site to ask questions, going to puppy class, etc. but even still, there are just some situations that I don't know what to do. Sometimes Audrie sees another dog and starts biting wildly at it, seems angry or frightened, and I'm not sure what exactly is going on. I pull her away (careful not to pick her up), but should I be correcting her? How do you teach a dog to not be aggressive towards certain dogs? She's fine with most dogs, but there are just some that "get her goose."

Anyway, I would like to chip in and be hard on these people, but maybe they just don't know any better. :shrug: I don't think that just because I'm new to dogs doesn't mean I shouldn't own one. Sorry if this is a thread jack! I just wouldn't want someone talking about me this way when I try hard to do the right thing with Audrie.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 29th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Not to say that the people you described weren't clearly out of line allowing the EMs to behave that way, but on the other hand--it sounds like they were just uneducated.

I didn't always know a lot about dog training either, and it's one thing if a small dog is acting aggressive and you're not sure how to handle the situation, I might say "wow that's stupid but at least they can grab their dog". But if a 200 lb dog that you can barely control is lunging aggressively at other dogs, and you're laughing about it, there's is something SERIOUSLY wrong with you mentally. Anyone who doesn't know that a dog that's bigger than most male humans can seriously injure or kill someone is a moron. If a fully grown english mastiff decides it wants to actually attack someone or something you are NOT going to be able to hold it back and control it with a choke chain. Someone that thinks they can control a 200+ lb dog with force is seriously delusional. Unless you're competing in Strong Man competition or something, you have to have a huge ego or seriously underestimate a dogs strength to think you can control it.
If I had an English Mastiff and it suddenly started lunging at other dogs aggressively I would have put it back in my car and LEFT. People need to know their limits...If there's a chance you can't control your very large aggressive dog, do NOT put other people and their animals in danger.

I don't think that just because I'm new to dogs doesn't mean I shouldn't own one.

No, being new to dogs doesn't mean you shouldn't own one. But someone that's new to dogs should NOT own a very large dog like a mastiff unless they're planning on seeking out a professional trainer and socializing the heck out of their dog. If you're just going to keep your dogs locked in your house until they're almost fully grown and THEN suddenly take them out to a DOG SHOW of all places, where there's several people and dogs, you shouldn't have a dog.
These weren't socialized dogs who just didn't like some of the other dogs. The owners stated that they had NEVER had their dogs out in public. The dogs had never been socialized with ANY dogs except for the dogs at their house. They said "oh, we just wanted to bring the mastiffs out to see what would happen". That's like saying "oh, we just wanted to light this dynamite to see if it would go off".
If they wanted to test their dogs around other dogs they should have done it in a supervised controlled situation with an experienced dog trainer to evaluate the situation, not put other people and their dogs in danger.

My b/f's mom has a 110 lb dog who has never been socialized with other dogs. It doesn't like other animals around its food, toys or rawhides, and we all know that if this dog decided to attack something while on leash there's NO way we could control it. We don't take this dog out in public around other dogs. Yes it's sad that he doesn't get to socialize with tons of dogs and people and go on walks, but he could seriously injure or kill another dog, and all that would lead to is him being put down and another dog being hurt. The only way he can lead a healthy life is to be kept at home around things he's used to and people he knows.
These people shouldn't have taken their very large aggressive dogs out around other people and dogs either.