Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fur Splinters?

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Does anybody else get fur splinters? I mean you feel a splinter and then look at the area where the pain is coming from and see a dog hair/cat hair stuck in your skin?

Everybody I know thinks I'm wacked.. But it's really painful. Sometimes, I'll be driving and I'll feel one go into my foot and I have to pull over, take my shoes and socks off and get it out. And my doggies don't even have coarse fur! I can't imagine having a pointer or other breed with fine, coarse fur. Maybe I just need thicker skin...:D

And the worst is when you get the prickly ones in your bra, too. There's no publicly appropriate way get cope with those...:D

technodoll
August 26th, 2006, 08:38 PM
yep, used to get those *alll the time* with my dobies... but not with the beanies, due to their coat type. they's be a beatch those fur splinters! aie aie aie :frustrated:

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 08:42 PM
But I mean, you touched Boo, right? I get Boo splinters. :confused: I'd probably get Maika splinters too.:rolleyes:

technodoll
August 26th, 2006, 08:51 PM
are you sure they're from boo? :confused: from jemma i could see it, but boo? hmmm. nope, not one single "splinter material" fur around here... it's all light, soft, flyaway "dust bunny" material sticks to every black piece of clothing around :evil: but not to our skin. maybe the splinters are leftovers from the little tumor you babysat, LOL!

mafiaprincess
August 26th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Cider's hair isn't wiry.. but a month ago my mom was walking funny asked me to look for a splinter and there was a dog hair on the bottom of her foot. Wouldn't brush off.... I had to pull it out, turned out that was causing the pain..

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 08:56 PM
lol no.. I never get Jemma splinters... She doesn't shed nearly as much as Boo. I think it's that the Boo fur is so fine that it can stick into pores or something.

Funny eh? No black clothing in your house, no white clothing in mine.:D

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Cider's hair isn't wiry.. but a month ago my mom was walking funny asked me to look for a splinter and there was a dog hair on the bottom of her foot. Wouldn't brush off.... I had to pull it out, turned out that was causing the pain..
Exactly! Yey, now I'm definitely not the only one!:D

technodoll
August 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Funny eh? No black clothing in your house, no white clothing in mine

totally funny!!! and i love wearing black, waaaaaaah! :frustrated: i just buy alot of those lint brushes and "sticky rolls" from the dollar store, LOL! :shrug:

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 09:05 PM
lol I don't wear white often. Doggies or not, it still gets dirty too quickly.:D

technodoll
August 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM
today i saw the most amaaaazing white goosedown winter coat at the st-laurent street fair, with a big "capuche" trimmed in (fake) fur, man i wanted it so badly... it fit perfectly and was drastically reduced in $$... but... sigh. common sense won over. can't even THINK about owning such a high-maintenance coat with two furkids in a dirty city :( so i compromised and got the black one instead :o

LibbyP
August 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM
We get fur splinters here, not from the big girl but from the old man, not so many recently (I think his fur is changing with his old age) but I have to admit out RT Coonhound before OUCH!:yell: Fricken splinters:mad: , ya why it that light coated dogs dark clothes/dark coated dogs light clothes? Think, Think, Think....note to self

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2006, 10:47 AM
We used to get fur splinters with Murphy :rip: Those things hurt like the dickens! It was like having a piece of glass stuck in your foot! :yell: Phoebe's fur is the light, fluffy, fly-away type that gathers int he corners like tumbleweed and floats around your fork at dinner time. :yuck:

jawert1
August 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I get them all the time with Simon's fur, it's so soft to pet but man does it cause me pain when I get one stuck in my skin.

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Yey I'm not nuts! :D

Writing4Fun, Boo's fur is like Phoebe's- it just flies through the air, but still manages to get stuck in my skin.:shrug:

Skryker
August 27th, 2006, 06:31 PM
With our dobe, there was prickly hair everywhere. It would work its way into the weave of clothes and then poke me when I wasn't expecting it. :frustrated: Drove me nuts. It was ingrained into the furniture, too.

I was afraid that Fingal and Bronwyn would have similar hair, but :fingerscr and touch wood, so far so good. No fur splinters! ;)

Skryker
August 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Ooh, but sometimes I get jabbed by shed whiskers, both cat and dogs. Those hurt-especially the thick end. Dancer leaves 'em most inconveniently on my pillow or on the bedroom floor-right where I can step on them in my bare feet in the middle of the night. :yell: Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I've never had a whisker poke me before... Except when Jemma played a lot at the dog park and some got broken off and only a short, thick, sharp end was left on her face to poke us with...

Skryker
August 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I think it's more of a cat thing, the shed whiskers. I find Dancer whiskers maybe once a month, but I've only found 2 doggie whiskers in 8 months. Maybe I just have a talent for stepping on them!