Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

shelters adopting new ways to enclose cats?

scuba0095
August 26th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Hello

I was just wondering is it a new thing that shelters all over have been keeping their cats in rooms now instead of cages? few shelters that ive been to keep their cats in just one huge room and let people go in interact with the cats etc.. I Think that is much much better that way you can see the cats interact and interact with al lthe cats at the sametime see what one chooses you! The cats also seem so much more relaxed & happy comapred to the miserable state they seem to be in when confined to a cage :confused:

Is this just being done in canada? or is it also done all over america and the UK ?

jiorji
August 26th, 2006, 07:52 PM
i heard about that. AS fun as that sounds to walk in a room full of cats, is that not dangerous to have 20+ cats all together? How do they eat? Do they fight for food? Is food monitored so that everybody gets their share?Do tehy attack each other when people aren't looking?

Because I know cats are territorial and in many ocasions the weakest of the link get no priviledges.
So i'm not sure how great this idea of a huge room full of cats is.

Golden Girls
August 26th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I was just wondering is it a new thing that shelters all over have been keeping their cats in rooms now instead of cages?Wow ... never seen this :thumbs up
The cats also seem so much more relaxed & happy comapred to the miserable state they seem to be in when confined to a cageNo doubt and their obviously monitered so wow! I hate seeing animals caged much less pets. I'm sure though when it's time to eat and sleep they probably go into their little beds understandably with the amount of cats in shelters.

scuba0095
August 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Hello

Honestly I thought the same thing how could they all co exist cats being so "catty" by nature. But they actually do! All 3 shelters where I went this was being done like 16 17 adult cats into a room and they all seemed healthy happy & calm. I dont know how they did it. THey told me that they closly monitor it and cats that get agressive or just really hate other cats are quickly removed and put into a cage of their own. But out of like 20 cats only 2 cats had to have their own cages which is crazy! But when you think about all those huge feral cat colonies and all the cats living together small spaces so peacefully I guess it should not seem that suprising. I think maybe cats are just masters at adapting