Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs That Lean

rainbow
August 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I've always thought that dogs who lean on you did it as a sign of affection and attention because they want to be petted.

All my dogs have been either huskies or husky crosses, until we got our long legged yellow lab who is now 13 1/2 months old, and you guessed it....he's a leaner.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

LM1313
August 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM
My dog Ebony did that whenever I got home. :) It was a sign of greeting / affection for sure!

Writing4Fun
August 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM
It's a request for affection, absolutely. :thumbs up

rainbow
August 26th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought but someone (who owns a Saint) said to me that a trainer told her not to allow it because it's a way of "controlling". ;)

Keep your thoughts coming.

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM
My cats lean too...especially Leo...he's become a crazy cuddle bug!

Slightly off topic but...

I knew a golden lab once (I'm not sure if he's still alive at this point) and he would "work" in the sewing shop my parents went to when they needed th sewing machine repaired. He was HUGE. When he stood up on his hind legs he'd be able to put his front pawz on a 5'7 man's shoulders. Friendliest little guy ever though.

Anyway, I was about 10 and we went for a visit and of course I got to pet the puppy. I had decided that getting down to his level would be even better for petting and I leaned up against the counter. Puppy decided that HE was going to lean up against me. I ended up squished and the owner had to call off the puppy because I was having issues breathing lol. Dog didn't know he was doing wrong and promptly came back for more pets but still...:)

Death by leaning...yep that would have been the headline...lol

I've learned since that he ended up getting caught on someone's truck and was dragged down the road a ways. Last I had checked/knew he was recovering but he ended up with brain damage. I think the guy who dragged him down the street was one of those nasty people who don't like dogs and tried to take him away. :( I hope he burns in hell and I hope the lab is better :).

Megan

OntarioGreys
August 26th, 2006, 05:04 PM
You need to look at the rest of the dogs body language, it there tail erect, body rigid and they are staring you down at the same time, then your looking at dominance , if body is relaxed and tail wagging or lowered the dog is looking for some loving

rainbow
August 26th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Well, in my case, it's always the latter. He's just one big friendly, goofy dog....I call him my velcro dog :D

Writing4Fun
August 26th, 2006, 05:36 PM
LOL! :D Yup, that's my sister's dog, too. 70lbs of mush. He just comes up to you and drops all his weight against you, every muscle has turned to Jell-O, tail wagging slowly (like he doesn't even have the energy to do that), head down ... complete and utter surrender to your ear-scratching prowess. After a couple of minutes, he always winds up giving out completely and ends up on his back for belly rubs. :D :dog:

meb999
August 26th, 2006, 06:12 PM
yeah Buster's also a leaner...when I come home he does a weird bean-dance-wiggle-butt-lean. I love it.

rainbow
August 26th, 2006, 06:16 PM
LOL....that describes my boy perfectly. He'll also straddle my legs when I'm sitting in the chair watching TV or else plunk his butt on the coffee table and sit. :crazy:

Skryker
August 26th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Most dogs I have known are/were leaners. They just lean into your legs and relax.

Every dog I've ever seen anywhere near my husband leans into him, tail wagging, like they just can't get close enough. At Superpet once, I had to ask a man what type of dog his dog was, because all I could see of it was a big plumed tail and HUGE back feet-the rest of the dog was under my husband's coat, leaning hard enough to just about knock my husband over! The coat was tented up to about waist-height and flapping around because the tail was wagging so hard. Turned out to be "90% timberwolf"-which I might have guessed if I could actually see it. A few aisles later, it was a bulldog leaning and smiling up at my husband. Dogs adore him. I would worry if we ran into a dog that didn't like him. ;)

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Boo's a natural leaner. He's also a lap sitter.. Jemma learned everything from him...

Golden Girls
August 26th, 2006, 10:20 PM
My dogs lean when they want a rub :p . Recently though while at the park this somewhat stranger Greyhound refused to walk with the owner. I went over to talk to them and he just began leaning on me. Not moving really, just pushing his body into mine. I bent down and looked right into his eyes ... he seemed so sad. I never quite felt that kind of lean before :confused: It really had me thinking as well?

phoenix
August 26th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Sam is a leaner too. He does it every morning as his hello, and is definitely looking for lovin', I do think that there is something to the dominance thing though. It is a controlling gesture (hey you, pet me NOW)... I've read that part of NILF is that YOU decide when to pet your dog, he doesn't decide when. I would say that if he isn't competing for alpha with you though, that doesn't really matter. I think it's pretty cute.

PetFriendly
August 26th, 2006, 10:53 PM
My little guy started to lean. He won't do it to ask to petted, but once you've started, he'll lean in for more. As part of NILF training ( bossy little guy) he'd only get pet when we decided, so his way of asking is to respect you space and sit there staring at you with the most pathetic look he can muster and just wait.

My cat leans too, she'll fall over enjoying a good pet behind the ears.

OntarioGreys
August 26th, 2006, 11:15 PM
My dogs lean when they want a rub :p . Recently though while at the park this somewhat stranger Greyhound refused to walk with the owner. I went over to talk to them and he just began leaning on me. Not moving really, just pushing his body into mine. I bent down and looked right into his eyes ... he seemed so sad. I never quite felt that kind of lean before :confused: It really had me thinking as well?

A greyhound statueing is not all that uncommon, the owner may not have had him all that long and or the grey was at a place that was new to them, they do it because they are scared or feeling insecure, what most shelter dogs take for granted is totally foreign to greyhounds, they have never been on a pleasure walk, most have never seen another breed of dog, never mind cats or other animals, they have never walked on a sidewalk or grassy areas , linoleum or hardwood floors or carpets, they have not been exposed to vehicle traffic, children babies, they have never seen clothes on a line, or a flag flapping in the wind, phones ringing, tv suddenly going on by themselves, they are used to narrow fenced in areas, with a sand base, being in a wide open space like a park is like being on mars, they have lived a very sheltered existence and our world is very overwhelming to them, some are basically shellshocked for a few weeks as their senses are on overload, nothing smells, looks or sounds familiar, the closest thing to their world is adult people, It took my grey Sunny about 2 months to stop statueing on daily walks just around the block and he was a confident outgoing greyhound, my fosters had an easier time because they had Sunny to walk with, so they paid attention to how he was reacting to things, and the sad look in new greyhounds in common, they are totally confused and bewildered the first couple of months. Most new owners tend to worry about how the greyhound is reacting, they often need reassurance themselves that this is normal and will pass with time.

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Poor greys, but at the same time, they're lucky to have new homes to retire in.

rainbow
August 26th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah, that is sad. :sad: But kudos to those that rescue them. :highfive:

Golden Girls
August 26th, 2006, 11:29 PM
There are tons of greyhound rescues in my area GR and I have to say they are the sweetest dogs ever! This particular one ... :confused: I am worried about him. She's had him for over a year and every time they walk he just freezes and wont go with her. I did however call this one in. Shirley says it's all ok so hey what do i know.

Smiley14
August 26th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Oh that's so good to know! Petey is both a leaner and a lap-sitter. I've always thought it was affection, but then someone told me he was trying to control me and when he tried to do it to her, she wouldn't let him and told me I shouldn't let him either. So I was always confused by that as didn't feel like it was a control thing with Petey. I feel better now knowing that it doesn't always have to be a control issue! His tail wagging, tongue lapping, earnest eyed expression just never seemed like a fight for control, lol.
On the first day of Petey's first training class, he had to climb into the lap of everyone in the class. The trainer said he was a boston terrier in a GSP body. :) But the control question was brought up to me after his last class, so I never got a chance to ask my trainer about it. So interesting! Thanks! :)

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Golden Girls, you can't judge a dog's life by a few minutes in the park. If I met you in the park and you said "Poor Jemma" or anything else in that tone, she'd walk over to you all sad with a limp. And she's healthy and happy. :shrug: Some dogs just play the victim all the time if there's a sympathizer nearby.

erykah1310
August 27th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Kita is a leaner too, an obsessive one at that i must add. I have no real idea why she does it but my dad has a rather amusing theory ( if any of you knew my dad you would understand, he is a former HIPPY and is proud of it :shrug: :rolleyes: )

However he sais " shes just being a jerk and wants to stand where you are" Thanks dad, your wisdom astounds me!:frustrated:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 27th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought but someone (who owns a Saint) said to me that a trainer told her not to allow it because it's a way of "controlling".

Leaning by itself isn't a sign of dominance. Like ontariogreys said you have to look at the dogs other body language.
Some dogs do indeed lean on you to make you give them affection because they think they are in control.
Some dogs lean on you because it feels safe.
There are several other reasons they may lean on you too.
My collie leans on us because he's lazy or maybe uncomfortable. If we're just standing there he'll put all his weight on one of us. He'll also do this against objects, such as our couch, because he doesn't feel like putting all his weight on his legs. He does have hip dysplasia, and though it's not really affecting him yet as far as pain, I think his back legs sometimes get tired.

Melei'sMom
August 27th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Some dogs lean on you because it feels safe.

Yep, agree with that one 100%.

Of all the reasons dogs lean, that is definately the reason Melei leans.

She only leans on me when she is feeling scared or overwhelmed. Now that I don't pick her up around larger dogs unless I feel she is in danger, she leans against my ankle, usually between my feet, when a bigger dog is a little too close for her or when a person overwhelms her. she loves meeting people, but she has to be the one to approach or she feels threatened and will try to hide behind me or lean on me for security.

Skryker, dogs are like that around my hubby too! He has never met an animal that doesn't want to be near him, ok some wild ones, but even some of them have approached him. I tease him and call him Dr. Dolittle:D

Golden Girls
August 27th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Golden Girls, you can't judge a dog's life by a few minutes in the park. If I met you in the park and you said "Poor Jemma" or anything else in that tone, she'd walk over to you all sad with a limp. And she's healthy and happy. :shrug: Some dogs just play the victim all the time if there's a sympathizer nearby.When I said "somewhat stranger greyhound" my meaning was a few minutes every other day over the last 6 months. I would not of made a comment nor called it in otherwise besides the fact this greyhound was unleashed and was being screamed at ... another story, doesn't matter!

The point was like OG was saying ... you need to look at the rest of the body language and in this instance that's what had bothered me. Leaning can have alot of different meanings but mostly I think it's a sign of affection/attention.

:) little off topic - in the movie "While you were Sleeping" there was an hysterial part about "leaning" - anyone remember? I think even Seifeld had an episode of leaning as well.

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
:) little off topic - in the movie "While you were Sleeping" there was an hysterial part about "leaning" - anyone remember? I don't remember that part. :confused: I remember the Seinfeld thing about the 'close talkers'. :p

Golden Girls
August 27th, 2006, 04:32 PM
It was when Lucy (Sandra Bullock) was leaning against a fence after the New Years Eve party and Jack (Bill Pullman) was leaning toward her talking. Suddenly Joe Jr (Lucy's landlord's son - lived downstairs)who BTW thinks their dating :rolleyes: says "hey Lucy is he bothering you"? She replies confused "no y"? Then he goes "cuz it looks like he's (using his arm/hand making the notion of tilting) ... "leaning"

It's just the way it happened .. but it was hilarious. They used this line a few times after in the movie. Guess you had to be there ... I'm laughing just thinking about it. That Joe guy was priceless!!! So many quick one liners ...

Anyway this "leaning" was a sign of affection too so not too off topic lol :o

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Riiiiight! Now I remember. :D I love that movie. Joe Jr. is hilarious - reminds me of A LOT of people I went to school with. :p

:sorry: :offtopic: I'll shut up about the movie now. :o

OntarioGreys
August 27th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I would not of made a comment nor called it in otherwise besides the fact this greyhound was unleashed and was being screamed at ... another story, doesn't matter!

They are too sensitive natured for screamed at(poor baby) I imagine the owner thinks the dog is being stubborn <sigh> and if the park is not fully enclosed by a fenced then the owner is breaking an adoption contract.

dtbmnec
August 27th, 2006, 06:55 PM
My cats lean...go figure...

They do it when they want attention....so it means that I'm getting leaned on 24/7 lol

They also tend to flop over too...:rolleyes:

:)

Megan

Golden Girls
August 28th, 2006, 08:53 AM
They are too sensitive natured for screamed at(poor baby) I imagine the owner thinks the dog is being stubborn <sigh> and if the park is not fully enclosed by a fenced then the owner is breaking an adoption contract.That's what she thinks. Not only does she have this reallllly high pitched voice she's extremely hyper and constantly nags him. She got him as a therapy dog

I as well as others have offered to dog-sit even just for the day ... so she can take care of herself, put her feet up have a warm cup of tea but she refuses :sad:

Furbaby Momma
August 28th, 2006, 09:25 AM
My Retrievers do the leaning thing, and I enjoy it to me it means that they are doing like Golden Girls said wanting some attention and affection...and when they look up at me while I am loving them up oh...I just melt thinking they are saying "Thanks mom I needed that" :love:

Golden Girls that is so sweet that you care about this woman and her dogs suggesting to her that you and others would take the dogs for a day, while she takes time for herself and maybe get a little rest, and collect her thoughts. :thumbs up