Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my doggie keeps licking

boboluv2
February 4th, 2004, 01:13 AM
my 6-year-old shih tzu came back from groomer with rashes and infected ears which are treated fine now,but since that day he keeps sticking out and pulling his tongue back in a quick and continuous manner,for like 20mins,just in and out motions, not licking his nose or anything.My vet couldn't explain why,but he eats and drinks normal,just not as cheerful as before.And this weird behaviour never happens before. Anyone can help me on this? Thanks.:confused:

Carina
February 4th, 2004, 04:57 AM
I don't know...it sounds like maybe stress...apparently the groomer didn't do a great job...? Does he get groomed regularly, or was this a new experience for him?

Did the vet do a thorough check of his mouth? How long has it been? I've seen dogs who do this and it seems sort of like a nervous habit.

I have a friend with two Cockers. One of her dogs gets very stressed about vets, groomers, etc. She bought clippers & learned to trim her dogs' coat & nails herself...saves $$ & more pleasant for the dogs. :)

boboluv2
February 4th, 2004, 11:02 PM
yeah, it was last week I took him there and he gets groomed regularly;but I think you are right about stress.He must have a bad memory of what happened to him after the grooming; cuz you know what! Today I bathed him and he hasn't done that till now. Probably because I washed out all the smell that has associated with that experience. I'm so glad:D but I still have to wait a couple of days to be sure. Thanks Carina;) And maybe I should do what your friends did- to learn how to groom my own dogs:p cuz responsible groomers are hard to find.:(